Let's hear about the one that got away! - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's hear about the one that got away!

I grew up around Summerville SC and my folks used to pick me up after school on Fridays , truck loaded and ready to go! We fished the Santee-Cooper area and our favorite place was the Diverson Canal that joins the two lakes.Now for a few years we had fished from the bank of the canal and lost many a monster Cat or Striper to the high banks because netting was difficult to say the least. But we had solved that problem when Dad bought an old tri-hull and we knew we were good to go!
    So here we are , middle of the night, Mayflies dancin' around the old Coleman laterns hanging around the boat on bent peices of conduit..( Dad was creative, and we were broke!) Nothing like the hissing of the old laterns to drift you off to sleep on a beautiful spring night. Especially when the early evening had been filled with Slap Crappie action, now it was Catfishin" time!
    Suddenly the whole boat shakes as Dad jumps from his seat and says a few choice words " Aw S*&#! did you see that!" he excaimed pointing at the floor of the boat. "It just shot right off the stern!!!" he says in a panic... "Never even made a splash it was movin so fast!!!" By now Mom and I are trying to figure out what he is pointing at when we noticed NOTHING was there... as in nothing! no rod, no reel!! As I started to speak Mom spins around to look at her rod just as it launches across the stern and she grabs it! "OMG" she exclaims as she sets the hook.... 45 min. later, and several trips around the entire boat with a Zebco 33 and 15 lb test Stren she netted a nice 28 lb Striper at 3:35 am! We assume that with the speed the other rod was snatched it had to be one too...
    The next Day my Dad mounted rod holders and bungee cords all around the boat and we went shopping for bigger equipment. I have many great Catfish and Striper stories from a time in my life I'll never forget!! this was one of my favorites..
    JBassAssassin likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Where to start, my favorite was when I was younger fishing for rock on the roanoke at Hamilton. We fished all day with nothing, saw a lot of turkeys come down from their roost and a lot of water go by. It was early afternoon and the sun was finally warming things up a little when a rod tip danced and I waited, felt him, and set the hook, then it stopped. I was hung in a tree but could still feel the fish, my dad told me to break the line already so I could get it back in the water, he told me he would kiss my rear if there was a fish. Finally after a long argument (he says it was just a tree branch waving in the current while I told him there was a fish) we came to an ingenious solution, he took a hook with a small dropper weight and let it slide down the line to my rig, after a few short tugs both lines went slack. Just as I began to feel defeat his line came tight as he was reeling, the fish had carried it up river! He pulled up the only fish of the day and before anything could be said my father pantsed me in the middle of the roanoke river in attemp to kiss my rear, but I was too quick and told him that it wasn't neccesary. My dad has yet to question my fishabilty since that day.
    JBassAssassin likes this.

Blog Entries

Talking

Now that's a FISH story! Good one Capt_cmt!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Now that was a mental image I didn't need....
    drjon, and KingOfTheRiver12 like this.

Default Re: Let's hear about the one that got away!

I'll share a story from up North here in the Lake Ontario area of New York. The fall into winter is a great time to fish the feeder streams off Lake Ontario for Salmon, Brown Trout and Steelhead as they make their runs upstream. Some of these streams are only 10-12 feet wide with pockets that break off them which really makes for a great experience because you have these 15-25lb fish moving up some very small streams.
    So I bring my buddy along one day and it's one of those buddies that do not get out much so the majority of my time was spent answering his questions about where and how to catch the fish. I go upstream for awhile and I look down and see my buddy fighting a fish in a portion of the stream that breaks off and went behind two other fisherman. For some reason these two other fisherman seem caught up in this endeavor and one of the fisherman looks like he is fighting the same fish as my buddy. Now, the problem is that my buddy is working his pole and seems to be running upstream and the other fisherman has no pole and seems to be hanging onto some rope.
    When I get down there I see the problem which was quite embarrassing to say the least. My buddy had drifted his bait which was attacked by an enormous salmon which was in the water behind these other two fisherman. The problem was that this fish had already been caught and was on a rope stringer attached to the other fisherman's hip. Every time the fish started taking off it would get about 10 feet up stream and it would yank the other fisherman. I have no idea how my buddy did not realize this but the other fisherman was so flabbergasted by this that he didn't have the heart to tell my buddy what he was doing so he let him go for a few minutes. My buddy was mortified and I have not stopped telling this story for 10 years.

I lived outside of Kansas City mo and had alot of lakes we would go to fish. the town I lived in was on a lake it has 18,000+acres. and its not the biggest in the area. But the spillway of the dam spills into a river that connects to the missouri river. when the water level was up theyd swim up stream and the water leve dropped the fish were trapped in the large pool of the spillway. We'd go down and go snagging for spoonbill which if you havent seen one they are weird. But are fun fish to catch.
    Well i had 2 fairly large jig heads on a line with rubber twisty tail things and something hit it.

I set the hook and tried reeling it in ( zebco 33 I was 12) there for i felt like I was reeling in a concret wall. It budged alittle when i couldnt get it i was about to give up and my dad grabbed the reel and was going to town and he said he just didnt think it was going to come in when we were about to snap the line a guy in a small boat grabbed the line and followed the line to where we thought the fish was under a rock. he reached down and said he felt it. I got excited when he pulled it up I almost crapped myself. I didnt catch a giant cat fish..I caught a stringer with about 10-12, 5-15lb flatheads. Needless to say I was excited. We were just catch and releasing that day so we offer the fish to the guy in the boat. Who grabbed the 2 smallest fish and threw the rest back in.

I love it. I think to date that is one of my fondest memories haha
    drjon, and JBassAssassin like this.

Well, it was about 10 years ago... I got stupid and dumped her, she went out with a guy I worked with and they got married a year later... I'v been kicking myself in the backside ever since
    She was a great catch, and left me with some great memories...
    Big Tuna, cobrakyle, and drjon like this.

Blog Entries

Caught a stringer of fish?!?!? Now that's a tall tale

But somehow I believe ya

Quote Originally Posted by RobLatta View Post
    I lived outside of Kansas City mo and had alot of lakes we would go to fish. the town I lived in was on a lake it has 18,000+acres. and its not the biggest in the area. But the spillway of the dam spills into a river that connects to the missouri river. when the water level was up theyd swim up stream and the water leve dropped the fish were trapped in the large pool of the spillway. We'd go down and go snagging for spoonbill which if you havent seen one they are weird. But are fun fish to catch.
    Well i had 2 fairly large jig heads on a line with rubber twisty tail things and something hit it.

I set the hook and tried reeling it in ( zebco 33 I was 12) there for i felt like I was reeling in a concret wall. It budged alittle when i couldnt get it i was about to give up and my dad grabbed the reel and was going to town and he said he just didnt think it was going to come in when we were about to snap the line a guy in a small boat grabbed the line and followed the line to where we thought the fish was under a rock. he reached down and said he felt it. I got excited when he pulled it up I almost crapped myself. I didnt catch a giant cat fish..I caught a stringer with about 10-12, 5-15lb flatheads. Needless to say I was excited. We were just catch and releasing that day so we offer the fish to the guy in the boat. Who grabbed the 2 smallest fish and threw the rest back in.

I love it. I think to date that is one of my fondest memories haha

Awile back my x & i went 4 a drive in michigan we found a nice lake back in the national forest called BIG BASS LK IN THE upper pinensula. It was beuteful, we had no boat so shore fishing it was with bobbers & knight crawlers.We were able to wade out into the reeds, clear sandy bottom. Well i casted out in a clump of reeds& it floted thare 4 a little then it started crusing side wase i set the hook WOW the bass was so big she could only shake her head out of the water i yelled in exitement get the camra , I got her in took a bunch of pics mesuered her 23" long 18" girth biggest fish i ever cout, i let her go & then my x sean thear was no film in the camra

On No Popper!!! Lol!!
    popper likes this.

* Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws *
    RED X ANGLER* * MEMBER OF THE JON BOAT BASS CLUB OF NC * ARDENT REELS PROSTAFF REEL IT IN BAITS PRO STAFF 1st Tournament win 2/20/16 at Hyco lake 13lb 14.8oz 5 fish.

This was almost 40 years ago during the summer of 1970...I was eleven, and had been a member of Boy Scout Troop 150 for about a month. Growing up in Hampton, VA, we were surrounded by water, and many of my fellow scouts were pretty adept at all forms of fishing.

Toward the middle of June, it was time for my first camping trip. Our Scoutmasters were Mr. Wallace and Mr. Wright. Mr Wallace had a cabin and a big chunk of land with frontage on a creek on the North Bank of the York River in Gloucester. We camped there.

One of the kids in my patrol was 2 years older. He went to school with my sister, and she new him sell as a rowdy fellow. Brad would NEVER back down from a dare! On Friday, as soon as we arrived, he found some old string, and a chicken leg and commenced to crabbing. Mr. Wright found a small galvanized steel trash can with a handle, and Brad filled it with water and blue crabs. We steamed them over a campfire the next night, seasoned with a sassafras root! But that's not really the story here.

On Saturday, we had a hike planned, so Mr. Wallace had the whole troop pile into the back of his pickup (don't try this today, it was different times back then), and we drove to a nearby lake. The adults dropped us off, and we were to hike back on the road, led only by our patrol leaders and the SPLs-Jerry R., and Robert G. (You can imagine the lawsuit if things happened like that now.)

Anyway, the road we were to hike crossed a dam with the lake on one side, and a spillway and creek on the other. A couple of the guys decided to slide down the spillway, till it was discovered that the slimy concrete was eating holes in the hiney portion of cutoff Levi's... a different story for some other time!

While they played on the spillway, Brad got poking around in the woods, and found some cast-off monofilament with a hook attached. He got the nutty idea of catching a fish, and went about looking for the proverbial sturdy stick. Jerry, was peeved by Brad's time wasting, and here is where he threw the dare:
    "If you catch a fish, I will carry you back to camp!"
    There was no "double dog dare", just an irresistable challenge.

Brad found a great, sturdy straight stick, wrapped a piece of pine bark around the line for a bobber, and then crawled up the spillway in search of "bait". At one point Robert and Jerry were talking, and I heard Jerry mention that Brad even found a decent pole! Brad busted loose a couple of dirt dauber nests from under the bridge, and found some larval insects, which he used as bait. It only took about 10 minutes, and that determined little genius had a bluegill on!

The dare had been made in front of every member of Troop 150, so there was no backing out. Adolescent cussing and laughter ensued, depending upon whether you were one of us, or Jerry.

The hike back was eventful, including a grass fire started by one of the other Scoutmaster's sons who was fascinated with white-tip, strike anywhere matches. That, however, is another different story.

That day, Jerry seriously reconsidered his doubtful ways, as he carried Brad on his shoulders for 2.5 miles along a Gloucester County Virginia back road. A dare is a dare, a fish caught should never be discounted, and a ride earned is a sweet thing!
    Mattfish, and sundrop like this.

It is amazing how much you can learn after you have messed up enough stuff!

Heres a story and a warning...

Just got back from a trip to Chincoteague VA. Carried some rods and tackle to do a little fishing while we were there. We got home late Fri night, so I grabbed only the luggage and headed in to sleep. Saturday I went out and unloaded the stuff from the back of the truck. I didn't realize until I put the rods away on the rack that somewhere along the way, apparently one rod bounced enough to at least partially trip the bail and somewhere between here and there I have lost 125 yds of mono and a skirted flounder rig!!! Glad it was the one with mono!! If it had been one of the larger rods with braid it probably would have snatched the whole thing out of the truck!!
    * Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws *
    RED X ANGLER* * MEMBER OF THE JON BOAT BASS CLUB OF NC * ARDENT REELS PROSTAFF REEL IT IN BAITS PRO STAFF 1st Tournament win 2/20/16 at Hyco lake 13lb 14.8oz 5 fish.

Here's an actual true story (which varies from a non-actual true story in that it actually is true).

My nephew Alex (18 yrs old) and I were out on Folly Beach, SC surf fishing.

Was a nice day, and we were using strips of whiting fillet for big redfish. It was a slow morning, so I was kicked back in my chair with my rod over in a sand spike-- a 10' surf rod.

Next thing I know, Alex is screaming MAAAAAAAAATTTTT!!!!! --- I look over and my rod is bent parallel to the beach just as line started screaming off the drag--- was using 20# line. As the sand spike collapsed I grabbed the rod just in time to lose 40 or 50 yards of line..... then ***snap***. .

Oh well, I figured, there was no way I would have ever landed whatever the heck it was--- it was moving way too fast and was way to big for the rod and reel I was using to handle. I had the drag set pretty hard.

10 minutes later something hit Alex's rod (also a 10' surf), stripped another 50+ yards of line and broke him off too.

The next day I went back with my big tackle, but didn't get so much as a hit.

Today i was out fishing and decided to use a artificial worm on a hook just hooked it once in the middle and added a small weight that you would use on a bobber to the end. Didn't plan on staying to long so i stuck my poorman's texas rig and another worm in my pocket just in case i lost this one. I threw it out by a fallen tree and boom a bass hits it its a small one but o well i think it'll be a fun fight. I get him close he jumps and I see the worm fly in one direction, the fish in another, and my hook in yet another. So i grab the other worm and put it on the hook. Nothing for a while so i go to another spot this time I cast it in between two fallen trees. then BOOM! a big hit the fish runs and has my rod doubled over not wanting to lose the fish on my 8# test i turn down my drag and the fish takes off the rod is screaming, then it turns and runs towards me i'm pulling in line as fast as possible then it swims into a tree. It starts jumping and i'm thinking that its at least 8 lbs. It then gets my hook stuck on a tree and swims off, i lose my worm hook weights and fish

The 30 That Got Away...
    A number of years ago two buddies of mine and our better half's spent a 3 day weekend on Chautauqua Lake (NY near the PA boarder). My buddies and I decided we were headed out early for fishing at the other end of the lake and would return with fresh fish for lunch. Well... we got into a school of Jack Perch like we never seen before. We put about 30 in the live well, which was at the time a 60qt cooler strapped on to the swim platform. It was about 10AM when we pulled in our lines and started headed back to camp. We put the boat up on plane and lost the cooler off the back at about 40mph. We quick turned around and rescued the cooler but there were only a few Perch left. Well, we said there was no way we could head back with only three after all that time, so we went back to find the school. Of course there wasn't a fish to be found and we eventually went back to camp with only three fish. The girls never believed the story and we were accused of hanging out all morning near the beach watching bikini babes. I don't know why we didn't think of that idea ourselves. It would of made for a lot better ending.
    Rocky Mount, NC

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast