Let's hear about the one that got away! - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Let's hear about the one that got away!

Default Re: Let's hear about the one that got away!

When I was 16 I went out on a boat that belonged to a riend of my uncle. It was me, my brother, my dad, my uncle, and his friend. We went off the coast of florida, maybe 10-20 miles out to a WWII shipwreck.

My uncle and his friend were diving and spearfishing. The wreck was about 140 feet down. We had rods over the side of the boat fishing for grouper with cut bait. We never even had a bite on our bait. My uncle came up with a 3 pound red snapper he speared. He said there were huge Jewfish down there (Atlantic goliath grouper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

So he takes the snapper, ties a big hook on, and hooks the snapper behind the dorsal fin and thows it over. After several minutes of feeling the snapper bounce around, the 7' saltwater spinning rod doubles over and becomes glued to the raid of the boat. I cant lift it. I would have assumed it was a snag, but it was pulling line.

After maybe 30s to 1 minute, the line broke. Obviously my rig was not built to handle a fish that can get 300, 400, even up to 800 pounds. I never saw what it was for sure, but that was definately the biggest fish I ever hooked.

We ended up throwing tube lures for baracuda that were near the boat, I caught a nice one around 4ft in length. So far that was the largest fish I have caught.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

what about the one that was turned loose that could have made you a millionaire..check out the photo at ncangler photo ..click on photo above...

Smile Re: Let's hear about the one that got away!

Quote Originally Posted by YAKFISHINGNUT View Post
    what about the one that was turned loose that could have made you a millionaire..check out the photo at ncangler photo ..click on photo above...
    go to 7 days or more to view picture..or look at picture under remarks...BIG BASS!!! I FEEL THAT A FISH CAUGHT ON A HOOK AND LINE SHOULD BE COUNTED NO MATTER IF IT IS IN THE MOUTH OR NOT...IT STILL IS CAUGHT..

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by YAKFISHINGNUT View Post
    go to 7 days or more to view picture..or look at picture under remarks...BIG BASS!!! I FEEL THAT A FISH CAUGHT ON A HOOK AND LINE SHOULD BE COUNTED NO MATTER IF IT IS IN THE MOUTH OR NOT...IT STILL IS CAUGHT..

can you not just post a link?
    FishinCary, and YAKFISHINGNUT like this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

This post is fresh, real fresh because I just got home from this happening tonight. I was fishing a popper most of the night and for most of the night I got nothing. Had some recreational kayakers go right through the area I was fishing like I wasn't there, nice folks. Fished this feeder creek that enters the cove to the reservoir, when I say feeder creek I'm talking about maybe 25 feet wide to 30 feet wide in some spots. Threw the popper and bam an explosion I set the hook and this bass just starts peeling line. I'm reeling, its towing me and pulling drag, I get him to the surface and its the biggest bass I've ever hooked in my life , I'm only using 8 lb test and the net I have on my kayak is in no way going to be able to get this beast of a bass in there. He takes off again and drags me to an area of the creek where the current has created this wall, the water goes from a foot deep to 8 to 10 feet deep and he buries himself in the deep water of this wall. I'm trying to pull this bass out and he won't budge. Its like trying to lift a cinder block with dentil floss, I'm yanking and trying to reel him out of that spot without breaking the line and my rod breaks in half , I grab the line with a glove that I have and tried wrapping the line around my gloved hand and yanking that bass out of there, my line breaks in the process........bass 1, Ray 0......broken rod, my favorite popper and the fish of a lifetime all gone in a few fleeting moments........but I'll be back to try another day

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondWells View Post
    This post is fresh, real fresh because I just got home from this happening tonight. I was fishing a popper most of the night and for most of the night I got nothing. Had some recreational kayakers go right through the area I was fishing like I wasn't there, nice folks. Fished this feeder creek that enters the cove to the reservoir, when I say feeder creek I'm talking about maybe 25 feet wide to 30 feet wide in some spots. Threw the popper and bam an explosion I set the hook and this bass just starts peeling line. I'm reeling, its towing me and pulling drag, I get him to the surface and its the biggest bass I've ever hooked in my life , I'm only using 8 lb test and the net I have on my kayak is in no way going to be able to get this beast of a bass in there. He takes off again and drags me to an area of the creek where the current has created this wall, the water goes from a foot deep to 8 to 10 feet deep and he buries himself in the deep water of this wall. I'm trying to pull this bass out and he won't budge. Its like trying to lift a cinder block with dentil floss, I'm yanking and trying to reel him out of that spot without breaking the line and my rod breaks in half , I grab the line with a glove that I have and tried wrapping the line around my gloved hand and yanking that bass out of there, my line breaks in the process........bass 1, Ray 0......broken rod, my favorite popper and the fish of a lifetime all gone in a few fleeting moments........but I'll be back to try another day
    Man thats tuff man! Hopfully you'll get em next time!
    RaymondWells likes this.

I had a little excitement last Friday afternoon at Monroe reservoir near Bloomington IN. Decided to explore the only part of the reservoir that I usually don't fish. Middle Fork is closed from Oct. 1 thru Apr 15 as it is a waterfowl resting area. March and April is when I prefer the upper ends of the reservoirs around here. Anyway I'm casting a shadrap at a bank next to the channel. The water slopes from the bank to about 5-6 feet deep before breaking into the channel. I'm cranking from the bank to the break looking for a largemouth. Made a cast and cranked a few turns and then it seemed like I was hung up. There is wood and chunk rock here. I kept pulling anyway and it felt like whatever dead weight it was, was slowly coming my way. Great, I'm pulling up a stump I thought until a head surfaced. It tried to jump, but couldn't---too big. As it began wild surface thrashing, I realized it's a huge flathead. It then did a 180 degree flip, using it's nose as a pivot point and came down on my line and dived. Back at me came my shadrap. I reeled in and measured 42 inches of slime on my line. Took me a while to calm down enough to cast again. I think if I'd gotten it to the boat that my net would've been too small. That cat was well over 30lbs.
    Jim

A few years back I was fishing off the end of Nags Head pier with my father-in-law and a couple of friends. It was the first time we had been there during the summer (July) and we had never experienced the storms that can blow up quick. Well one of the guys with us is one of those "I have the best gear" type of guys (you know the ones that get under your skin). Well we were having a nice run of taylor blues/spanish when some Bonita started cutting trough. Well hooked into one, and a second later a LARGE crack of thunder cracked off... well scared him so much he droped his precious $300.00 rod/reel and lost the Bonita... Insult to injury there. Oh and one more shot to the gut, he had to watch me bring in a 45lbs cobia on my $35 rod/reel from walmart...lol
    drjon likes this.

I was shark fishing out on the pier one night. Sitting there enjoying my life water (I'm 16, no beer for me yet,) when these guy fishing on the opposite rail from me (mind you by this time they have not exactly held back on their consumption of alcohol on this particular evening) starting laughing and joking. They are all smoking cigarette's. At this time the largest and most drunk of the lot, procedes to take his cigarette, and burn his buddies fishing line. Of course the line snaps and he is rolling on the floor laughing his behind off. So he gets up, and now (drunk off his rocker) burns his own line. He laughs, until he realizes his line is gone. So he comes stumbling across the pier, yelling profanity at the top of his lungs, asking ME why I burned HIS line with MY cigarette. Alas ....... alcohol can be a cruel mistress......

My buddy Dave and i were fishing one night under a bridge for crappie, a small amount of alcohal was onboard, we had been under this bridge for about an hour with some hot and cold fishing action going on and started talking about a previous catfishing trip were SOMTHING kept throwing rocks or sticks into the river all around us. now the sticks and rocks would not have been a big deal except we were about five miles away from the closest house and it was three am. the rocks and sticks kept coming for the next two hours. we were joking around with each other about Big Foot , alians and the like. we finaly left and thought no more about it until that night under this bridge.
    all of a sudden some thing started falling from above us. we started ackting all manly shouting into the night that we had a gun and were not scaired to use it. then every thing got quit. just when we thought all was well a loud splash happened on dave's side of the boat whitch drew our attintion that way, then a bigger splash happened right behind me! we both started grabbing for the spot lights and flashlight, i was about to---- well lets just say i was a little unnerved. Dave finaly got the spot light working and the beem started tracking a large cridder swiming away from the boat. my hart was racing like mad! as the light kept the cridder iluminated it became clear that it was a nude dude. we all started to laugh as this dude got out of the h2o. it took a 1/2 hr. for my hart to slow down. the fishing was not right after that so we left wondering were did the dude come from and were did he go after he got out of the h2o. we still fish that bridge but stay well under it now.
    ecufisherman likes this.

hooked up with a fish about 40 miles out last spring trolling ballyhoo. we fought it for about an hour. i gave up and handed the rod to uncle sammy. he put on the fighting belt and started reeling in. about 75 yards from the boat it crested and broke the water. huge marlin on!!! we were all smiles. uncle sammy took his time so he wouldn't stress the line. he lit a cigarette. about 5 minutes later, he was leaning forward for another pull on the rod....as soon as that marlboro touched the line, SNAP and we all dropped jaws. no more handing the rod to uncle sammy.
    ecufisherman, and sekod like this.

My 2 favorites were both in the salt. The first was on Myrtle Beach State Park Pier, a few years back. I was just learning the ropes of flounder fishing on a pier from some of the regulars on a day when bites on any rig, king to 2-hook bottom rig, were extremely scarce. I was pitching live mud minnows up under the pier, walking the planks and checking out the pilings as the guys were teaching me, medium action rig, 10 lb. test with a good length of 17 lb. Cajun Red as a "rub" leader. Got a good hit- what felt at first like a flounder on that first take. As soon as I set the hook, however, I knew it wasn't no flounder. Picked up the bait and ran about 50 yards off the opposite side of the pier, me standing on tiptoes and listening to the drag sing. Fella on the other side from me came over and asked me if I had red line on my rig. When I said yes, he told me a very large ray, at least 6 feet across, had just passed under him with my rig in its mouth. He could see the red leader sticking out of the water. Well, I wasn't giving up easily. (Although I knew it would be a million to one to land that monster on my gear, lol! ) Thankfully, the line was rubbing high enough on the pilings that the barnacles wouldn't cut me off immediately. I must have stood there for a good 10 minutes (the ray, as they will do, had simply settled back down on the bottom and wasn't moving) trying to think of ways to get my pole to the other side of the pier. A fella I had met that day, 2-hook bottom fishing, just laughed at me. I smiled back and simply said "at least I'm catching!"
    After a few more minutes, the ray decided he wanted to keep on going North, and my line parted where it had been stretched across the pilings. The best part was the ray swam right in to the breakers and the 10,000 swimmers on that quarter mile of beach. You could tell where the ray was by the startled screams and people recreating the scene on the beach from "JAWS".
    The other one that got away probably would have had much the same result, if I'd have hooked it proper. I was surf fishing for reds at Huntington Beach State Park, hadn't had much success at all on the heavers, so I was standing in the surf with the same medium rig, minus the rub leader, 2-hook bottom fishing and catching the usual- spots, whiting, pompano. I was daydreaming when I noticed that a clump of grass that the wind had ridden up my line was moving opposite to the current. I looked back to see the heaver in the holder bent over hard. Running back, I grabbed the heaver and tightened the drag a little (I set the drag pretty loose if I'm not right by the rod). When I lifted the tip to set the hook, a huge 5+ foot bright silver torpedo breached the surface just past the breakers, and the drag really started to sing! (Man, I love that sound! ) Tarpoon!!!!
    Well, the drag sang a short song- I bet it wasn't more than 15 seconds, and the line suddenly goes slack. Dang, I thought, one of the knots gave way. I reeled on in, feeling a little weight, so I figured it was the hook knot that had given way. Imagine my surprise when I got the rig to shore, and the knots hadn't given away at all- there on the hook was a little sand shark, maybe 12 inches, still attached, and a nasty bare spot just back of the gills where the tarpon had the shark in it's mouth! That close!!!!
    That was a good year in the SC coast. Every day on the pier, you could spot at once 2-3 bait balls as big as 2 football fields. Every time one came near the pier, it generated a flurry of activity. After seeing the first one from up above, I knew why I hadn't been catching any blues off the sand- they were all swimming along under those baitballs and marauding like crazy. The cast netters were loading 5 gallon buckets full of 10-15 inch mullet.
    The sharks were bad that year- one guy, pulling in his cast net loaded with mullet, could only look on in horror as a huge spinner ate the bottom out of his net, weights and all!! The sharks also learned what yellow flow-troll bait buckets were for- saw one get eaten just up from me! All the guy brought up was the handle on the bucket and a little of the yellow bucket itself. Really fun time that year.
    Which also explains why : 1. Swimming was out of the question if I was to get my rod to the other side of the pier, and 2. why my flow-troll bucket sat beside me in the shade of the bench.
    FishinCary, and speckhunter like this.

Lifelong fishing nut. Wish I was fishin, instead of wishing!

Yesterday on the Neuse just upriver from the confluence with Core Creek, I lost a big gar. Man he was pulling good running toward the river shore, getting close to the boat, saw his body as he rolled close to the Coosa, then baaaam, he was gone.

fishy fishy in the brook
    come and bite this fella's hook
    be ye big or be ye small
    he will eat you one and all

I can vouch for OleRebels gar. I was right next to him. Brad

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast