Let's hear about the one that got away! - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Let's hear about the one that got away!

I do alot of catfishing on the Yadkin lakes and have caught alot of bigfish over the years. thsi past fall i was flathead fishing on LakeTillery. The past few days produced alot of good flatheads and I was prepared for battle. I hook a gaint flathead on the biggest outfit in the boat. Using a 8' St.croix Priemer saltwater rod, rigged with 60lb mono and 80lb leader. Using Biggun catfish hooks 6#. Those hooks are really heavy duty hooks. Thier forged steel, so it takes a heck of lot to bend them. I hooked into this flathead real close to some rock structure. I knew if I hook a gaint it was be a battle of wills. I knew I couldn't let them take any line or it would be over. The flatheads are just like Golitha grouper. You have to get them away from the structure. Well I hook this fish and it was on. That rod I had was bent over like an ugly stick. I was looking forward to this battle for a long time coming. Well we fought it out for 10 min. Niether one of us were giving ground. Then sunddenly all I heard was a loud bang. I thought the 60lb line broke on me. That wasn't the case. I reeld up and found the hook just bent out. Thier so much pressure on the line when it came lose it made a loud noise in the water. Now I've caught alot of bigflats over the years. This one was over 75lbs I know for sure. Thats one main reason I love flathead fishing, the pure challenge of it.
    heavyfoot, and RouseD like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Could have been a 75 lbs cat!! Thanks for the story!
    ALLEN TARHEEL FLY FLINGERS " RED X ANGLER "
    " BOWFIN ANGLER "

Everybody hates to lose a big bass and I have lost my share and caught a few too so I know one when I see it. I'm certain I've let some 10+ pounders spit the hook and have kicked myself for not setting the hook better but the prettiest sight I ever saw and could not help but lose was 2 schoolies at least 4 lbs each on a double jig rig I was throwing to match the tiny shad the bass were schooling on. We were using medium light spinnning gear and had been catching 2 lb schoolies all day when suddenly the surface action changed dramatically and the 2 lber's disappeared and were replaced with 4 and 5 lber's busting shad everywhere. We both hooked up with some of these nice fish and all of a sudden I felt a second fish hit my rig and it was on. After losing line and regaining it several times I finally got the two fish up to the boat. They rolled up on their sides in the clear summer water showing off their beautiful green and black colors shimmering just under the surface and as I admired them and started to reach for the lip they saw me or the boat, I don't know which, but they were off again for another sizzling run that ended with my line breaking and me feeling bad that they were now tied together with my rig. Lost fish and a day I'll never forget as long as I live.
    drjon, efudd54, heavyfoot, and RouseD like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yesterday I was on Wiggins Mill Resevior with my cousin during the pouring rain, and was trolling around with a Kickin shad lure out of sheer desperation. Next thing I know my drag is scraming so I assume I snagged a stump, so I reeled in expecting to be stuck, untill my line started moving and then it pulled hard enough to pull two people in a 10 ft. jon boat around, and I realized I hooked a big one. I took my time trying to get it to the boat and when it surfaced I saw it was a big longnose gar around 3 1/2 ft and 15 pounds minimum. Using 8 lb test line on a 10 year old $4 reel and a cheap rod, I took my time trying to land it. After 8 minutes of tug-of-war trying not to snap the line or the swivel, we thought we would go to shore and pull it in. After another 20 minutes of tug-of-war, my hand slipped off the handle on the reel and the fish ran with it using up the last bit of line left on the reel down to the knot and breaking it. That spun me into a new dimension of livid I can't explain. It's not the first big fish I've hooked and lost, or last, but in my short 17 years its the biggest.
    Wish I had a better picture, doesn't do it justice:
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	547015_2511727811976_1816568984_1547866_2119743054_n.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	38900
    efudd54 likes this.

I was out at a family friends house a few years ago and I had just gotten into fishing. The family we were visiting knew a small pond on the golf course near their house that they called the "turtle pond". So we went to the pond with some bread and was hoping to feed the turtles. To our surprise we saw many catfish (1-2#) and a HUGE carp that was maybe around 3 feet long. It scared me as soon as it surfaced to eat the pita bread we were feeding the various creatures.

We ran back to the house and grabbed my fishing pole that I had in the car, which was a light-weight rod since I wasn't that into fishing yet. I cast a piece of pita bread on a bass hook and waited as it floated out in the middle of the pond (no need for a bobber, the pita floated). I just saw the monster surface just slightly and swallow the pita. The fight was on. I set the hook and it immediately swam towards the shore and was flopping upside down, almost out of the water. It was bigger than I thought and my adrenaline was pumping and the other family that was at the pond was screaming and there was just a huge amount of excitement. The carp then managed to get righted and then swam strongly out towards the middle of the pond. Little did I know that my drag was hammered on almost 100%. The carp pulled hard and then the line snapped. I instantly just felt my heart drop.

I have gone back there a few times and actually tried fishing with about 6 rods with me and 2 friends. We have yet to pull out the monster carp, but we did get a gigantic sunfish that was 4 oz. of the State Record for NC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	sunfish.jpg‎
Views:	118
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	38901
    RouseD likes this.

Just saw this thread. Love the stories.
    c.lane, and efudd54 like this.

RED X ANGLER

HOW TO OUTFOX A GAME WARDEN:
    A redneck with a bucket full of live fish was approached
    recently by a game warden inAlabama as he started to
    drive his boat away from a lake.

The game warden asked the man,

"May I see your fishing license please?"

"Naw, sir," replied the redneck.

"I don't need none of them there papers.
    These here are my pet fish."

"Pet fish??"

"Yep. Once a week, I bring these here fish o'mine down

to the lake and let 'em swim 'round for a while.
    Then when I whistle, they swim right back into my net
    and I take 'em home."

"What a line of baloney....you're under arrest."

The redneck said, "It's the truth, Mr. Gov'ment Man.

I'll show ya! We do this all the time!!"

"WE do, now, do WE?" smirked the warden. "PROVE it!"

The redneck released the fish into the lake and stood and waited.

After a few minutes, the warden said, "Well?"

"Well, WHUT?" said the redneck.

The warden asked, "When are you going to call them back?"

"Call who back?"

"The FISH," replied the warden!

"Whut fish?" asked the redneck.

MORAL OF THE STORY:
    We may not be as smart as some city slickers,

but we ain't as dumb as some government employees.
    Not your "normal" fish story but it is about the one who got away!

RED X ANGLER

Fantastic story Jan. lol
    RED X ANGLER

My Great Uncle Grier took me fishing in the Gulf, trolling from his little boat for king mackerel. I hooked one that fought hard at first and then came in easier. When it got in close, I could see a pretty big shape in the water and got pretty excited. Uncle Grier laughed and said "That fish isn't scared of anything; he just came in for a closer look." Uncle Grier started messing around in the boat and I was thinking he was getting the net, but it turns out he was rigging another rod for me because he knew what was going to happen next. And he was right. The fish got his look at the boat and swam off and spooled me in one run.
    This is the same uncle that taught me "there are no fish in the tackle box", but my favorite line from him was when I said I wanted to try shark fishing at the pier. He rummaged through his equipment to find me an old weather beaten but heavy duty outfit (ugly as it was, I might have caught that big king with it). He told me to "Just bring back the handle".
    RouseD likes this.

-Andy

I have a few but this one I think everyone will enjoy. I was bass fishing with minnows and a cork with a 7 ft spinning rod and reel on the bank of a pond in Mayodan. I had a lot of success that day landing 10 bass between 2 and 5lbs in a matter of hours. I had a few minnows left and being the nice guy that I am I was going to offer them to some of my fellow anglers fishing along side me. As I walked bucket in hand to offer away my last remaining minnows I quickly got 15 yards away from my rod. All of a sudden I hear "YOUR ROD! YOUR ROD!" as a man stands right beside my rod as it is doubled over in the rod holder. I quickly drop my bucket and sprint to my rod almost in slow motion. As I make my approach I see 2 sharp jerks and then.... a splash! No not the bass... my rod went swimming as I was only feet away from my rod. Thinking only about the bass and my 60 dollars worth of rod and reel swimming, I quickly run into the pond wearing brand new white plaid shorts with a 170 dollar camera on my hip, cell phone and wallet on board. I stumble in the water and am completly submerged- I reach out for my rod and can barely get my finger tips on it before it swims out of my grasp. I later retrieved my rod by dragging a trebble hook on the bottom with my baitcaster, however the fish GONE it tangled my line up in a fallen tree. I am only left to wonder just how big this bass might of been. But that's the beauty of it right?!
    efudd54, and RouseD like this.

While living and cruising on our boat a few years back I had the chance to go fishing with some commercial guys that were docked at the same marina as us near Sebastain Inlet in Florida. They were mostly king mackerel guys and they troll with heavy hand lines (makes me wonder why we spend all the money doing it the way we do) rigged with mullet. After catching 10 kings or so the captain told me if I felt one that pulled like a BIG fish to let him know and he would slow down til I got it in the boat. The rig is a steel/cable leader to a #3 planner and then 80# mono to the bait. The drill is that when the planner trips you pull the planner to the boat, put it in the gunnel and then pull the mono and fish over the transom to the dehooker box. Fish hits the dehooker, comes off and the whole rig goes back in without slowing down. Well all of a sudden the planner trips and I start the retrieval, get the planner in and ready to go in the gunnel and start to feel the pull. I tell the captain that it's a bigger fish and he slows down. With my hand thru the planner we see saw back and forth. The fish pulls some and I pull it back and repeat. Finally I get the mono started to the boat and to my surprise I have on the line my first billfish ever! The captain says that as a commercial boat we can't sell the sailfish but I can have it if I want to get it smoked. Trouble is the smoke house is all the way up in Canaveral and we don't have a car. Second problem is that my freezer on the boat is the size of 3 loves of bread. All this time the sailfish is not waiting for us to make a decision and decides to leave. I play him some more, waste more time figuring out that we would release him and after another pull to get him alongside he smiles, turns and breaks off. I've fished from Barbados to North Carolina and catching this sail on a handline is the most memorable trip ever!
    heavyfoot, and RouseD like this.

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120, Sea Pro 180 Center console

Youngbuck's story reminds me of my own similar but not as exciting rod snatch, though it does have a humorous twist. Mine was at Gaston, nightcrawlers off the end of a friend's dock. He tells me I won't catch anything there (he was a skier, not a fisherman). While we are sitting there talking I set my rod down. It got snatched off the dock before I could grab it. He just smiles and says "See?". I guess he was right...
    drjon, efudd54, and RouseD like this.

-Andy

me and a buddy of mine went to oakisland in february. (cold as anything but its the beach) we put the shark rods out and we threw some casted baits. after a while we here the 9/0 rolling real slow so i grab it run for the dunes and its a decent fish probly 6 feet or so. well i follow it down the beach not paying attention to my drag or my surroundings. by the time i realize the drags to loose the shark had already gone under the pier that i just started walking under bout 3 pillings away from me.
    RouseD likes this.

when life hands you lemons its time for new bait

One time I was bass fishing in a local pond. i hade rode my bike there, and i was by myself. i was throwing a spinner bait by a pile of algae grass on the top of the water that stretched to the shore of the pond. after a few throws, i felt a tug on the line. i was halfway reeling him in when out of the algae quickly swam a 6 foot alligator. im only 13, and not tall, so you could say it scared the bajeezus outta me. but it didnt go after me, but my bass. Luckily, i reeled it in in time for the gator to not get it, but for me to grab the fish and run away!!!

i still go down to the pond often now because its summer vacation... but i sure keep my distance from that alligator.
    Big Dawg, and RouseD like this.

I lost a five pound largemouth bass saturday! ouchh!I was pitching a lizard under some trees in about 2-3 ft water and the bass bit and ran with my lizard..I had the pleasure of fighting her for about 15 seconds or so and was getting ready to bring her in and it shook off about a foot away from me! I did see the fish and it was pushing 5+ for sure..I had a weak hookset and a small 2/0 hook "I ran out of 4/0"..shortly after another bass hits in the same area closer to 2 pounds and shook off in midair as I was flipping it out of the water..
    aww its not so bad maybe we'll cross paths again! or shall I say waters
    RouseD likes this.

Cali bred hawg hunter!!

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast