Let's hear about the one that got away! - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Let's hear about the one that got away!

Default big one that got away

Several years ago my son and I were fishing Lake Brandt in Greensboro, a shallow lake filled with stumps and nice humps and breaks. Perfect for the Carolina rig, we were throwing pumpkin lizards and wearing them out, think we got 20 that day! Anyway, just before we left, we hit the hump right in front of the marina. I lobbed my lizard across the south end, and was working it back. I felt the weight bump a stump, then the line went straight away from us! Set the hook, and the battle was on. Finally got the big one near the boat, and got a look at her. She was easily ten pounds or better, and was not going down without a fight. Matt had the net in his hands, and was getting ready to net her, when she stripped some line and went round the boat. Suddenly, the line broke! I cursed my luck, and as we were unloading the boat, I found my rig wrapped in the trolling motor. That haunts me to this day..
    Last edited by jerry condrey; 05-06-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think i lost a state record gar the other day.... Thing had to be at least 5 and a half feet long.
    macdougallusaf, RouseD, and wademaster like this.

I hooked into that 5 pounder again today! wacky rigged senko..fought her to the bank,bent down and grabbed my line to lip her and she was gone!! I said "are you serious"..I got a good look at it and it was the same fish pushing 5 in the same exact spot! I couldnt believe it..instant replay of saturday! this time it wasnt the hooks fault! I had a 5/0 on!
    drjon, NCStateFisher, and RaymondWells like this.

Cali bred hawg hunter!!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I just lost what I think was the largest LMB I've ever had on yesterday. I was fly fishing with a size 6 crappie candy fly, and was casting to a group of minnows I had seen just off the bank, Just before I got enough fly line out to just go past those minnows, I saw a fish under them. Couldn't have been more than 1 sec before my fly hit the water. 3 seconds later, it was on for about 10 seconds. I've never had anything to pull as hard on my 6 wt rod as that fish. My 6 lb tippet broke. I had caught a LMB that I would guess to be around 3 lbs earlier, and landed that one. Caught 2 or 3 very large copper head bream also, as well as some crappie and other bream. Private lake fishing.

RED X ANGLER

Default Re: Let's hear about the one that got away!

Last July on the Neuse near 7 springs I lost the biggest Flatcat I have ever had on.

Fishing near a massive log jam, first bait in the water before I could get the next rod out. My Clicker was screaming.

Reeled down and the circle hook did it job. Tightened down on the drag but could turn the fish. He carried into the logjam and there was nothing I could do.

Steady pressure, I could feel the fish going thru the tangled mess. Finally got the fish to turn and he surfaced on the other side if the pile of limbs. This dude was seriously impressive.

After a few seconds he was back down and coming back towards the boat back thru the jam. I could feel limbs snapping and I thought that maybe it was my lucky day.

I was wrong.

The fish had wrapped around a limb or tree trunk that the 65# braid couldn't saw thru and after another few minutes of give and take around the snag, the battle was done.

He won.
    Big Dawg, RouseD, and wademaster like this.

This past Friday I went fishing with my son who was home between college exams and starting his summer job. The fishing was slow for the most part, just a few dinks and some nice bream brave enough to hit our crankbaits. Near dusk he was tired and decided to relax and watch for a while. I caught about a four pounder and released her, then about two or three casts later I thought I got hung. I tried to snatch it off and saw her roll under the surface with my lure in her mouth. It was definitely the biggest bass that has ever been on my line. I'm thinking 8 pounds at least. I got to fight her a few more seconds, enough to really get a good feel of her size and strength before my crankbait came wiggling harmlessly back toward the boat. I could've cried, but my son had a lot of fun after that at my expense. I guess it seemed ridiculous to him that a grown man would be so affected by losing a stupid fish. But what a fish it was.

Just curious, does anyone know if a fish like that in a river system stays near the same area or does it roam around? I fish the Roanoke out of Plymouth and I was in a creek at the time and sure would like a second chance at her.
    Big Dawg, RouseD, and wademaster like this.

Today I intended to go to Falls Lake for some fishing and ended up fishing this pond that used to be part of Falls Lake before it got cut off from the rest of the water by the road. There was a big old tree that had been cut down that extended about 20 feet into the water and it was big enough to walk/stand on so I chose that as my spot to cast from to have better access to the area I wanted to cast. Anyway I caught two catfish, a bream, and a good-sized crappie. I lost another fish that was either a crappie or bream, but the one that disappoints me was this bass. I had casted a maribou jig in the absolute perfect spot right between a rotten tree in the water and two little stumps. And lo and behold, I hooked myself a bass! I reeled him in, lifted him out of the water, and was just about to take the hook out of his mouth (had to wait for him to stop flopping) when he flopped himself off the hook and onto the tree I was standing on and then into the water. If I'd been fishing from the bank, he'd have flopped around on the ground long enough for me to grab him (but then again, I probably wouldn't have caught him to begin with). I honestly have no idea how much he weighed because I can't really guesstimate fish weights yet but he was between 12 and 18 inches long. Definitely big enough to keep, and it would have been the first bass I caught in like, 10 years. I used to fish all the time when I was a kid and caught lots of fish of all types, but I only recently picked fishing back up as a hobby and he would have been the first bass I caught as an adult.
    drjon, and RaymondWells like this.

Renorei, you're hooked for sure now. You could call that a professional release since, if you had bee on the bank, you could have measured the girth and length. Congrats on picking the hobby back up, and for catching all those fish.
    RaymondWells likes this.

RED X ANGLER

It was a Shimano Citica baitcaster a couple of years old and a brand new Quantum Smoke micro guide rod. Watched it sink slowly out of sight in the tea-stained waters of the Roanoke River. Slipped right out of my hand. I've lost some big ones before, but this definitely takes the cake.
    drjon, and Spider Crack like this.

roddo, that is one you'll always miss.
    RED X ANGLER

Yesterday, I was fly fishing again at the same private lake as in post 79. I was using a crappie candy fly, and had just caught a hand sized bream. I was fishing from the bank where there is a wall. When i got the bream close to that wall, I heard, and saw a large disturbance, right at the wall. Then, a large LMB showed up right at my bream that I hadn't quite gotten right up to the wall. I could see it was very interested in my bream, but thought it was scared off. NOT!!! I saw it once again after my bream, but it didn't take it, so I let the bream swim just off the wall, but still close to it. About 2 secs later that LMB took that Bream. I was only using a size 8 hook, and with the size of the bream, I knew there would no almost no chance at all of hooking that LMB. The lmb stayed on about 5 secs, and then it was gone, but I still had the bream on that I would have thought would have been dead. I got it up, and saw where about 1/3 of it's tail fin was gone on one side. The bream looked to be ok so I released it. it took of like a streak of lightening, so it must have been OK. Could that have been the same LMB as the one I had on for about 10 secs in post 79? I only got a quick glance at the LMB yesterday, but would take a wild guess at about 5 or 6 lbs.
    RED X ANGLER

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Blog Entries

RouseD, I've had that happen a few times with panfish and also small bass....it's hard to keep them on the line like that.....
    RouseD likes this.

a couple of nights ago when the rain was still coming in pretty good two of my friends and I were out at the local secret pond going after carp and cats and we hadn't had a bite in about an hour and then ZING off goes the drag. My friend grabbed the rod as quick as a flash adjusted his drag to get a good set, when out of now where the fish bolts to the surface jumps about two feet out of the water lands then screams away from the shore. Then came one of the worst sight in this sport, a bent rod turned into a straight rod. upon reeling in the line we learned the fish had broke, not cut 65lb braid. I bet it was a big daddy carp but who knows could have been a feisty cat we'll never know.
    RouseD likes this.

Nice thread...

About a year ago, I was fishing at friends pond. I had taken my little girl fishing but I was really doing the fishing. She finally complained to me enough that I said I would hand the next fish over to her after I set the hook. My very next cast, I hit right where I wanted to be. I gently lift the line and it stops. Nothing moving. I think I'm hung but I have been "hung" before. I tell her, let me set the hook and she can have it. I set the hook and boom it starts moving really slow. I realize I've got a monster. I tell her she cant have it and she is whining and crying and I'm trying to land a 10lb plus fish and about that time she comes out the water and I'm overwhelmed. The sticking thing is so big it can't get all the way out of the water. She comes up one more time a few seconds later and throws my hook. I'm not exaggerating. At least 10lbs. Maybe 11.

Sad to say, I've hooked her one more time since then. In almost the same spot with almost the exact same scenario. Only difference is I probably played it a little too slow this time. Too much slack in the line. One more thrown hook. I hooked a 6 or 7 lber 3 weeks ago, same thing. Needless to say, I'm about ready to start using treble hooks on my plastic works.

Nothing like the memory of losing a good fish to stay with you for the rest of your life.
    RouseD likes this.

It was first time fishing at Randleman and from the pier. I had already caught a 4 pound bass and still being a newbie even today, I had caught a few cats, small ones. So I throw out my line into the current and it feels like its caught on a stomp. So the guy who was fishing near me says, "No that's a cat". So I get it close enough to the pier and we look down and the head of that catfish was huge. The guy said it looked a good 20 pounds. Mind you I'm using 10lb trilene smooth casting, not knowing any better. So I try and get the cat up and it snaps the line. Man that thing was big.
    RouseD likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast