Some good ones today...man overboard!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some good ones today...man overboard!

Default Some good ones today...man overboard!

We slipped out real early this morning, idling out in the dark, blinded by the GPS track while trying to avoid the shoals and oyster beds! It took a while but I had a plan. As soon as the sun broke the horizon the big bad wolf started blowing. Man, both weather apps had it wrong BAD. I stuck to my plan and got after it. Started off fooling with some small trout but kept my hopes up. The wind climbed on up to NW 15 and gusts over 20. Then it happened, first keeper in the net and over the gunnel. She went 21" and was fat. Ok, maybe things will be decent this morning. My son tells me he doesn't like the trout trick I have him rigged up with. Fine buddy, find the bait (color) you want. He picks a "pink" zman and smiles. I put a couple more in the boat before I hear him on the bow, "gracious, I got a good one!" I snicker and maybe laugh a little and keep fishing. Well, he then says "oh my goodness" and at that moment I hear drag peeling. Yep, he's doubled over and that trout is trying to whoop his little skinny butt. I stay out of it, its his fight and his fish to battle. I coach him a little since he tends to keep his rod tip too low while recovering line. Other than that, he brings a real nice trout boat side and looks at me and says, "well, you gonna get the net?" Absolutely little buddy, my bad! We keep putting fish in the boat all morning. Around 1100am I am planning my escape to the truck when it happens. You know when you get "that bite" and it feels like a cypress stump? I knew when I hung this fish it was either an over slot drum or one heck of a trout. We've fished this area 4 times now and haven't seen a red. Well, it was her, it was pigzilla. I had her boatside twice and looked at her real good both times. I've been lucky enough to catch a 7.2 and a 6.4 in the last few years. She was that big, no doubt. For the third time she is boatside, this time laying on her side, ready to give it up. I look and my almost 5 yr old has the net in his hand. I'm telling myself no way, I'm gonna handle this. I grab the net in one hand and rod in the other. Everything goes without a hitch, she's in the net and net is out of water coming over the gunnel. It's all in super slow motion as she does one last head shaking flop in the net. The trouteye jig is catapulting through the air toward the bow and she is mid flight headed toward the stern. NO!!! It ain't happening! I lunge toward the fish and now I am headed to the same promise land as my citation. Yep! In the drink with net, rod, brand new cell, wallet and a pocket full of keys. I ALWAYS put all that stuff in the console, except today. Soaking wet, humiliated and defeated I climb back in the boat to, "daddy, your crazy. That fish can swim faster than you." The wind is still blowing, I'm cold and over it now. But, I'm also hard headed. Nope, I ain't going out like that. I turn the minnkota back toward a grassy ledge and make 2 casts. On the second cast I'm hooked up. We bring this last fish on board and wouldn't ya know it, RED TAG and I win. It was a comical ride home in my drawers and Landon cracking 4 yr old jokes! Sorry for such a long post but it was an up and down then back up again awesome day with my #1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	10-26-17.jpg‎†
Views:	444†
Size:	40.4 KB†
ID:	165481Click image for larger version.†

Name:	pink zman.jpg‎†
Views:	414†
Size:	34.5 KB†
ID:	165489

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Default Some good ones today...man overboard!

In my 10 years or so here, this might be the best report Iíve ever read on this forum. Great story and an awesome picture of your son. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeDown View Post
    We slipped out real early this morning, idling out in the dark, blinded by the GPS track while trying to avoid the shoals and oyster beds! It took a while but I had a plan. As soon as the sun broke the horizon the big bad wolf started blowing. Man, both weather apps had it wrong BAD. I stuck to my plan and got after it. Started off fooling with some small trout but kept my hopes up. The wind climbed on up to NW 15 and gusts over 20. Then it happened, first keeper in the net and over the gunnel. She went 21" and was fat. Ok, maybe things will be decent this morning. My son tells me he doesn't like the trout trick I have him rigged up with. Fine buddy, find the bait (color) you want. He picks a "pink" zman and smiles. I put a couple more in the boat before I hear him on the bow, "gracious, I got a good one!" I snicker and maybe laugh a little and keep fishing. Well, he then says "oh my goodness" and at that moment I hear drag peeling. Yep, he's doubled over and that trout is trying to whoop his little skinny butt. I stay out of it, its his fight and his fish to battle. I coach him a little since he tends to keep his rod tip too low while recovering line. Other than that, he brings a real nice trout boat side and looks at me and says, "well, you gonna get the net?" Absolutely little buddy, my bad! We keep putting fish in the boat all morning. Around 1100am I am planning my escape to the truck when it happens. You know when you get "that bite" and it feels like a cypress stump? I knew when I hung this fish it was either an over slot drum or one heck of a trout. We've fished this area 4 times now and haven't seen a red. Well, it was her, it was pigzilla. I had her boatside twice and looked at her real good both times. I've been lucky enough to catch a 7.2 and a 6.4 in the last few years. She was that big, no doubt. For the third time she is boatside, this time laying on her side, ready to give it up. I look and my almost 5 yr old has the net in his hand. I'm telling myself no way, I'm gonna handle this. I grab the net in one hand and rod in the other. Everything goes without a hitch, she's in the net and net is out of water coming over the gunnel. It's all in super slow motion as she does one last head shaking flop in the net. The trouteye jig is catapulting through the air toward the bow and she is mid flight headed toward the stern. NO!!! It ain't happening! I lunge toward the fish and now I am headed to the same promise land as my citation. Yep! In the drink with net, rod, brand new cell, wallet and a pocket full of keys. I ALWAYS put all that stuff in the console, except today. Soaking wet, humiliated and defeated I climb back in the boat to, "daddy, your crazy. That fish can swim faster than you." The wind is still blowing, I'm cold and over it now. But, I'm also hard headed. Nope, I ain't going out like that. I turn the minnkota back toward a grassy ledge and make 2 casts. On the second cast I'm hooked up. We bring this last fish on board and wouldn't ya know it, RED TAG and I win. It was a comical ride home in my drawers and Landon cracking 4 yr old jokes! Sorry for such a long post but it was an up and down then back up again awesome day with my #1
    Man, that there is priceless memories. Enjoyed the story, sorry for the swim but I bet that little feller want forget that day. Nice bunch of fish to boot.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    Calabash513, GreyGhost, and kevcoachk like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by trigger22 View Post
    In my 10 years or so here, this might be the best report I’ve ever read on this forum. Great story and an awesome picture of our son. Thanks for sharing.
    I appreciate that, it was 1 of those days that will stick out to me for a long time.
    kevcoachk, and trigger22 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by robertc View Post
    Man, that there is priceless memories. Enjoyed the story, sorry for the swim but I bet that little feller want forget that day. Nice bunch of fish to boot.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, it's surely a memory we wont forget
    kevcoachk likes this.

Check out those cheeks to go with that smile. Priceless!
    kevcoachk, and TakeDown like this.

NIGHT CREW
    Fish for em now, Sleep with em later.

Awesome report and congrats to you and your son for the blog award. Well deserved!! I went into the drink a couple of months ago and I still haven't lived it down!!
    TakeDown likes this.

Red X Angler

Oh man thatís a good one. The boy wasnít wrong that Fish can swim faster than you! Haha. Glad you got back in safe and still had fun
    TakeDown likes this.

Great report - congrats on the award, very well deserved!! It's so good to see daddy and son having such a great time together. I think you have a lifetime fishing buddy there who won't need much encouragement to spend time trying to out-fish you

Looks like you are teaching him well when he knows what he wants on the end of his line, 4 year old's have a certain way of telling exactly what they are thinking in an innocent kind of way. Love the fact that you are willing to share the fact that you took a bath - almost feel like I was with you in that boat watching you go over the side.
    TakeDown likes this.

Takedown: What Trigger said and more. I think you and your boy will remember that day for the rest of your lives. Great post!
    TakeDown likes this.

Awesome report! Made me laugh out loud. Your little is hooked for life, I guarantee..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    TakeDown likes this.

Oh yea, word is out among my buddies. They have been blowing my phone up cracking on me lol. I appreciate all your comments and I have read them to Landon. He gets a kick out of all of them. I am blessed that he shares the same passion as I do.

"daddy, your crazy. That fish can swim faster than you."

Pure AWESOMENESS! Great report, and thanks for sharing. Congrats on the blog award, well deserved.
    TakeDown likes this.

Matt (Red X Angler)~ 2013 Hewes Redfisher 18, 115HP Yamaha 4 stroke, Ice Blue

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Quote Originally Posted by trigger22 View Post
    In my 10 years or so here, this might be the best report I’ve ever read on this forum. Great story and an awesome picture of your son. Thanks for sharing.

It has my vote for #1 report of all time, and 1 of the top ten front page pictures

Darrell
    quest4reds, TakeDown, and trigger22 like this.

Red X Angler

That picture of your boy holding a nice trout should be on the cover of a magazine, or an ad for "Take me fishing". Priceless!
    ChltBnks, and trigger22 like this.

Matt (Red X Angler)~ 2013 Hewes Redfisher 18, 115HP Yamaha 4 stroke, Ice Blue

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast