Ww fishing day & blackfin citation

Thread: Ww fishing day & blackfin citation

Default WW Fishing Day & Blackfin Citation

Our Onslow Bay chapter of CCA has hosted wounded warrior fishing days for the last five years. This past Saturday we hosted about 40 Vets from Project Healing Waters in Raleigh/Cary along with about 15 active duty guys from the Marine Special Operations Command. Fishing was generally pretty good and the weather was almost perfect. Those who stayed inside caught some nice trout, reds and flounder. Those who went outside caught a lot of king mackerel & false albies. One boat targeted big sharks behind the trawlers. We had about 35 fantastic volunteers who provided boats, labor and food. The fishing day concluded with a great whole hog cookout beside the ICW at the Waterway Inn in Cedar Point. The big highlight for me was that my fisherman landed a citation blackfin tuna on my boat.

Meet Kenny, a 30 year career U.S. Army paratrooper who retired as a SgtMaj from Bragg a few years ago. He caught this 23 lb blackfin just 12 miles off the beach while trolling for king macks. We thought it was a big king at first, then maybe an AJ. (One of our boats reported C&R of a 40" cobia). I couldn't believe it when that fish finally came up after a long fight. Kenny's first tuna and the first one on my boat, at least since I've owned it. Perfect end to a great day.

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	WWFD_BLFT.jpg†
Views:	134†
Size:	31.6 KB†
ID:	165761

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thatís awesome what a great cause! I didnít know Dave and Kay hosted the
    Cookout.

X2 on Nickp!! Awesome job!!

Fantastic cause - I hosted a WW back in the early summer for the New Bern event. Totally enjoyed the day.
    Nickp likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nickp View Post
    Thatís awesome what a great cause! I didnít know Dave and Kay hosted the
    Cookout.
    Dave & Kay were very gracious and generous in allowing us to hold the event there. We had a Capt's meeting Fri evening there and the cookout Sat afternoon/evening. Special thanks to Fabian Botta of The Ruddy Duck Tavern in MHC who donated a bunch of food, to Ray Howell from our chapter who did most of the cooking, to Billy Aiken who cooked the pig (perfectly!), and to Best Western in Cedar Point who provided a generous discount on rooms for the vets.

Also got Kenny on a couple of snake kings & some bottom critters on AR342.
    Nickp likes this.

Awesome and great job on the event. What did the tuna bite?
    ďI marvel how the fishes live in the sea.
    Why, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones.Ē
    William Shakespeare

This is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for giving back to our vets. A day of our time and boat bill for the day is nothing compared to the sacrifices these guys make. I have volunteered a bunch in bass fishing events taking active duty and vets with Warriors on the Water, Operation North State and Reel American Heroes Foundation.

As a matter of fact Operation North State will be down in the MHC area later this week. They got a Carolina Princess trip and also going to do some stuff on the piers and with volunteer boaters. They were still looking for some volunteers a day or two ago if anyone would be interested in helping them out.

Need fishing mates in the Morehead City area to assist with taking 15-20 wounded warriors / DVets fishing at Radio Island, Oceanana Fishing Pier and Bogue Inlet Fishing Pier this coming Friday and Saturday. They will already be in town having fished in the Operation North State Morehead City Top Shelf Fishin' Festival aboard the Carolina Princess on Thursday, Nov 2. Help if you can. Rods & reels, bottom-rigs and bait will be needed by some of them. Call 336.406.3459 to provide your assistance. Several would love to go out on a boat of a half-day too. Thanks, Terry
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

So awesome. Wish I could have been apart of this. My wife and I know Dave and Kay well. The military hold a special place in our hearts like so many others here. My wife is currently Army as well as my brother with the AirForce. Such a great cause.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

WOW Thats a great report!

Darrell
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by Island Man View Post
    Awesome and great job on the event. What did the tuna bite?
    A big giant Live Target musky plug that I use for fall king fishing when the turbo pogies are around. About the same size as a Stretch 30. Couldn't believe it. Blackies are only supposed to eat small feathers & baby ballyhoo! One very fortunate thing, front treble sank right in the corner of the mouth, but the rear treble sank two points solidly through the fish's left pectoral fin. So that was the only direction he could go. Might not have landed him otherwise. Fortunately, it was on a TLD-30 with 100# braid and a very stout stand up rod.

Thanks for all the positive comments (and the Post Award!). We'll be doing it again next year & always welcome additional capts. PM me with contact info or any questions if interested in participating. I'll echo NeilsLure on the Operation North State event this weekend in MHC. Those guys are first class, and this is their first event on the Crystal Coast. They've also got a website and FB page.
    Island Man likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements