Creek Crunch, Crunch

Thread: Crunch, Crunch

Default Crunch, Crunch

Thats the sound of my tires, boots, and fly line this past freezing weekend.

When theres a call for winter storm warning across most of the state, whats the thing to do for the city folk? Milk, bread and TP run? No, go toward the storm, to the mountains for trout fishing. Yep, thats what I did. I put myself through a lot of stress just so I can get my fix of feeling a trout at the end of my line. I think thats what the experts call addiction. (Help.)

I had plan to visit the streams in Ashe County a couple months ago, and asked for Monday off, so didnt really want to back out. At first, it was just going to be a couple of inches, so I didnt think much of it, but then the weather people were all freaking out, so I started freaking out. Since I dont have a 4x4, and have almost been stuck on a slope in the mountains before, I was a bit worried. I reached out to @rmhpmi to see if he has any thoughts on the potential road conditions. What a guy! I wasnt expecting to hear back, since he doesnt know me from Adam, but lo and behold, he responded almost instantly, and continued when I had more questions. I also touched base with the AirBnb host. Both said the main roads should be okay, but the smaller ones will be questionable. Back and forth in my head. Watching and reading more weather news; 2-4, 4-6, 6-8, more. Should I? Shouldnt I? My wife was like, go for it, you need a break. She even volunteered to stop at the store to pick up a pair of long johns. (Get out of my hair for a few days already. I need a break. She says silently.)

Click image for larger version.

Name:	20171209_135124.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	171018Click image for larger version.

Name:	20171209_160300.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	171026

I went, obviously, forecast for Sunday and Monday were sunny so fishing was still possible, although, I was resigned to sticking to the main roads. I got up to West Jefferson around dusk on Saturday, and for the most part, the drive was alright. Sunday was sunny and cold, cold, cold. It stayed below freezing all day. The new long johns, plus a couple of additional layers, merino wool socks under a couple of neoprene layers all worked great. I decided to head up to Lansing for water just off the main road with clean parking. I drove up past town, but decided not to venture too far north as the road sides and side roads were not looking good. So hung out at the stretch in town for a couple hours with a few willing rainbows. BTW, the trick of dipping and swishing the rod guides in the water to melt the ice off didnt work that day.

Name:	20171210_120521-EFFECTS.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	171034Click image for larger version.

Name:	20171210_142711.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	171042Click image for larger version.

Name:	20171210_133018.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	171050Click image for larger version.

Name:	20171210_132309.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	171058

That's not a shadow cast on this one. He's wearing a hood.

Name:	20171210_150001.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	171066

Monday was warmer, but area schools were called off (my AirBnB host was a teacher). That meant some side roads were still frozen. Im hoping not Helton, so decided to shoot up 194 first, then toward VA, but I didnt feel comfortable going far as the pull outs were covered and frozen. Did stopped at a popular hole, Im guessing, lots of fish with one upside down. Unfortunately, a thin sheet of ice covered most of the pool. Try as I might, I couldnt get a drift under it. Couldnt trick any of the other trout in the flows either.

Name:	20171211_114730.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	171074

Decided to head down river, but Helton Rd was covered with snow and ice just off of 194. (Remember, no 4x4.) I wanted to see as much of the stretch as I can, so I did a u-turn, looped around to 16 on the other side of Helton. Saw a truck at the first pull out, then another before the little single lane bridge. Didnt get as far as the campgrounds because slick. By that time, I had maybe 3 hours of daylight. Hung around the area and managed to fool a few rainbows and a little brown before the long drive back home.

Name:	20171211_144442.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	171082Click image for larger version.

Name:	20171211_144707.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	171090Click image for larger version.

Name:	20171211_154639.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	171098

Wish I was able to explore more, not just Helton but a few other good looking streams in the area. The mountains, always leaving them wanting more

when's a noob no longer a noob...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That's what I'm talking about! Snow days can be some of the best fishing!
    New area behind old Lansing school? I haven't chased an Ashe County trout in years (New River smallies instead). I have family still up on Big Horse Creek...
    Nice fish!
    badankles likes this.

Lifelong fishing nut. Wish I was fishin, instead of wishing!

Very pretty fish!! Great job!! Reminds me of childhood fishing with my grandfather. He taught me to tie a fly and how to use a fly rod, can still remember very clearly catching my first wild Brownie on my own fly. Been years since I tried fly fishing - may have to consider it for the coming year.
    badankles likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great pictures, they bring back memories of fly fishing in the winter during my childhood in Pennsylvania. Not sure how we did it, now I can't stand the cold for any period of time. That picture of the partially submerged trout is especially appealing to my eye, well done!
    badankles likes this.

Great report sir. Nothing like a little "ice fishing"? Glad you made it up and back without incident.

I keep a little can of WD 40 in my vest. A shot on the guides every once in awhile helps with the icing. A little.
    badankles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sekod View Post
    That's what I'm talking about! Snow days can be some of the best fishing!
    New area behind old Lansing school? I haven't chased an Ashe County trout in years (New River smallies instead). I have family still up on Big Horse Creek...
    Nice fish!
    I looked at the New River with longing each time I crossed it. Oh, you should totally get in touch with the family up there....I would.

Quote Originally Posted by BRITGUY View Post
    Very pretty fish!! Great job!! Reminds me of childhood fishing with my grandfather. He taught me to tie a fly and how to use a fly rod, can still remember very clearly catching my first wild Brownie on my own fly. Been years since I tried fly fishing - may have to consider it for the coming year.
    Good memories you have there. I hope to teach my grandchild how to fish on of these days, if I live that long with this addiction. I tried with my kids but it's boring to them.

Quote Originally Posted by TimFisher View Post
    Great pictures, they bring back memories of fly fishing in the winter during my childhood in Pennsylvania. Not sure how we did it, now I can't stand the cold for any period of time. That picture of the partially submerged trout is especially appealing to my eye, well done!
    Thanks. You know, I layered up under a pair of nothing special waders and was totally fine in the water. Although, I didn't get much past my knees, though. Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by rmhpmi View Post
    Great report sir. Nothing like a little "ice fishing"? Glad you made it up and back without incident.

I keep a little can of WD 40 in my vest. A shot on the guides every once in awhile helps with the icing. A little.
    Thank you, sir. Aside from the other million of questions, you'd think I'd included that one, too.

Blog Entries

Great report. Congrats on the Blog Award!
    badankles, and sekod like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wademaster View Post
    Great report. Congrats on the Blog Award!
    Wait, what?
    sekod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by badankles View Post
    Wait, what?
    Look at your original post, it now has a blog award 'sticker' on it. Your post also gets on the main page, it's kind of a big deal (at least on NC Angler)

https://www.ncangler.com/index.php

Congratulations.
    badankles, sekod, and wademaster like this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badankles View Post
    Wait, what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedingblue View Post
    Look at your original post, it now has a blog award 'sticker' on it. Your post also gets on the main page, it's kind of a big deal (at least on NC Angler)

https://www.ncangler.com/index.php

Congratulations.
    Right! When you (or anyone) log onto Ncangler.com they'll see your report on the homepage. Good report!
    Last edited by wademaster; 12-14-2017 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Edit.
    badankles, and sekod like this.

Oh, wow. Thanks. I felt good being able to share that crazy experience.
    Bleedingblue, sekod, and wademaster like this.

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements