NC Angler Forums banner

Stocker Trout in Winston-Salem

12K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  stripes 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I went out to village point on Thursday and caught 10-15 about the same size! Never done much trout fishing but I had a blast. I caught several on a panther martin but that treble hook kept tearing them up so I switched to a similar colored beetle spin and continued to have success. Can’t wait to get back out there again!

#11 ·
Like fishscalez said parking is somewhat limited. I’ve been out there on a Thursday and Friday afternoon so far. Thursday before Christmas was significantly less crowded. I was one of maybe 5 people fishing there. However last Friday there were 10-15 people there. With this cold weather I was much more productive the Thursday I went than last Friday. It’s a fun spot to get out too and on a week night evening or late afternoon it might not be too crowded. Wore them out on a beetlespin when I was there.

#12 ·
Do you have to keep the trout you catch? Lake Higgins near Greensboro has a pond stocked with trout but you have to keep what you catch. I'm fine with that but my freezer is full of fish from this year, so it'd be nice to just catch some trout and return them without having to go all the way to the mountains.

#13 ·
Higgins is a "for profit" venture where they are really selling the trout, not the fishing.

The lake in Winston, along with other lakes that the state stocks, are public fishing waters. I release my fish 90% of the time there. It is likely covered with an inch or two of ice right now, but try again next week.

Reactions: Fishscalz
#16 ·
Those came from shoreline area from the fishing dock to the nearest corner near the Handicapped parking spots. With the colder weather and the passage of time, I'm sure they have spread out. Generally in ponds like this you have to fish to find them after they have been in there a while.

#17 ·
I went over there 1/30/18 for about and hour and a half at dusk. I live across the street. Water is somewhat stained from the rain and it will probably staty that way due to the construction upstream. One guy on the dock had a mess of nice bream caught on crickets, there are some big bream in this lake. He had been there all day with no trout to show using Power Bait. I threw out a couple lines in the same proximity of the dock and fished the bottom using Berkely trout dough. No takers. I doubt that they are all caught but this lake gets hammered so who knows what's left. Had one guy tell me that they stocked a SECOND time recently but I have no idea if there is any truth to it, I did not see anything on Facebook about a second round of stocking. Anybody know? Same guy was heading for CG Hill rather than fishing there. If they threw browns in the mix they might even hold over the hot weather if they make it through the initial onslaught.

#18 ·
I was there on Saturday afternoon. One trout for me in about 90 minutes, nobody else had any. Some college kids wearing Elon University colors showed up with beer, and had to be shown how to cast a zebco, so I left as I assumed they had no licenses, and I know the beer wasn't kosher there. If the fishing was better, I might have stayed... but don't need to deal with unlicensed fishermen drinking in public.

Reactions: Fishscalz
#19 ·
I'm working in Clemmons now, and I'm trying to get over to this pond after work one of these Friday's, bought myself a small jar of trout dough and some rooster tails just for this purpose. I take if from your post Len that there are still trout to be caught there?

#23 ·
I walked all over this thing when they drained it to replace the riser. Deepest water is right against the riser as you might expect, The only creek channel is not much of a channel at all, this lake is really flat amd shallow. The main creek feed comes in on the east end and what little channel that is defined meanders from there aroumd the north side of the island and then right down the middle of the lake before making a hook toward the riser. Topographically this place is unexcitig The bottom was scraped clean when they mucked it out.. It really needs some fish attractors to give em something to relate to. Kayaks are not allowed but I have thought about doing a hail mary float just long enought to sink a few xmas trees. I just happen to have afew collected ;-)

#24 ·
I looked it over when it was being built, and you have it nailed.
Given the water color and the topography, I would bet a shiny nickel that the fish are wind oriented, and if the wind blows predominantly from one direction for more than 24 hours, the fish will gather near the wind blown bank

A warm southwest wind for 24 hours plus, a bit of ripple on the water, and I bet the shallow end would be the place to be.

#25 ·
I stopped by there yesterday and there is a sign that says NO BOATS..Dang it. The lake didnt appear to have much going for it, other than a NCWRC feeder about 35-40 feet from the pier. As others have said, It looks very barren as far as cover goes and didnt appear to have much in the way of grass or any aquatic type plants growing in there either. I talked to a guy that said all he had ever caught there were catfish and bream.

#29 ·
They are back. The place was wall to wall yesterday cars lining both sides of the road. I didn't go but you could see plenty of surface boils at dusk. With the rain coming the construction site upstream will stain the water so it will be a sit and wait kind of deal this weekend probably. I have never tried it in murky water but they can smell so I guess it's doable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.