Sounds Not a numbers day

Thread: Not a numbers day

Default Not a numbers day

Got the opportunity to fish with some friends on my Friday off before the Christmas holiday, so swampin' and I hopped in the car to go for a boat ride down east! I had to privilege to ride on the Ugly Duckling with j.edwards (thanks man!!!), so we boarded and headed off to find some stripers before the sun was up.

We got to the first spot, and my second cast with the ol' chartreuse spook jr. I was hooked up with a nice fish... which came unbuttoned. The stage was set for the morning, because I lost 8 other stripers of varying size in quick succession, while Jon had no issues getting a nice ~24" in the boat ASAP. These fish were pretty picky, hitting on the pause and behaving a little more trouty than I was accustomed to. Excuses abound. Anyhow, this bank died off and we went searching.

Before long, Jon had a chunky lil largemouth in the boat that slurped the spook. Meanwhile, I pulled the boat along the bank as I went from log to log, unsnagging my jig and zman repeatedly.

Eventually, it became clear that the striped fish weren't gonna cooperate, so we set off in search of the trout. Jon picked at the trout with MR17's at the next spot, while I began to let the idea of a skunk sink in. Pretty soon, the skunk was off as I managed to tailhook a gargantuan gizzard shad. Does that even count?

A few casts later, I had resumed slow jigging when the line went tight on what was surely a skunk. False! 24" speck in the boat. Fought like a shoe. Got some pictures and then she went to walk the plank

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25550507_1661894017195258_4452264367370789108_n.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	172394

Got back to business and began to throw the MR a little bit as we got into the back of a creek where the bait was boiling. Jon soon caught a 19" trout that came home with me. A few casts later, I felt some weight on the MR, and pulled in a feisty bass.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25552137_1661894030528590_248916624515756413_n.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	172402

We wrapped up around 2ish as hunger called from afar. My general observations were that fish that came on jigs reacted much more subtly, while the takers on the MRs hit with a lot more gusto. And like I said above, the stripers were a lot more sluggish than I'd seen in the past.

Thanks for reading! I hope to find some better numbers this coming weekend.

PS... dang it Andy (ahodges), that gator you caught makes mine look like a baby! Congrats on the blog award!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

And congrats to YOU as well on the Blog Award!
    AHODGES21 likes this.

Man that is hands down the most beautiful picture of a speck I have ever seen. Almost looks like it is a replica (? might be) of a trout with the tail and fins all spread out. Absolutely a beautiful fish! Congrats and I hope you frame that pic and display it.
    Aka: Inshorefisher

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

tailhook a gargantuan gizzard shad. Does that even count?
    Yes, it counts!
    dbeam likes this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Congratulations on the Blog Award.

Darrell
    Red X Angler

Thanks y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler

that trout could eat my PB trout, nice job
    dbeam likes this.

Training for retirement since 1983

Nice job buddy!

It was definitely a slow day for the Pamlico. Hopefully next time you guys are down, she'll cooperate.

Beautiful trout! Awesome picture. The tail is so broad.

I do not know you personally but letting that fish swim away says a lot about your character. Good job man.

Ditto on that pic. Absolutely beautiful colors. Great write up and congrats on the blog award. Happy New Year!

I heard rumors you boys were in the same vicinity as I was. Heard that one boat did okay on Striper, and it had a lot to do with the captain, and a lot less to do with the passenger! We'll do it again soon!

I just got em riled up for the captain! I look forward to it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Greenmonster likes this.

Appears it's been a pretty good year for you and nice trout. Congrats brother!
    Matt (Red X Angler)~ 2013 Hewes Redfisher 18, 115HP Yamaha 4 stroke, Ice Blue

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements