NC Angler Forums banner

Any winter tying?

10K views 103 replies 11 participants last post by  sekod 
#1 ·
With Temps like these anyone spending time behind the vice? Post up some pics, get some inspiration, pass the time until we feel the warm!

Attachments

See less See more
#73 ·
Fishing? Did somebody say Fishing? :D
I was just thinking the other night "we're gonna have to have a spring tying thread"... :)
I fish almost every day; on the road at 5:00 AM and back home to Badin around 5:00 PM doesn't leave a lot of time for fishing in the winter, but I do.

#76 ·
#77 ·
Working on quill bodies and Wally Wings

Still learning. First try at quill bodies. I used goose biots first, not really knowing better. 2 biots to finish a #14 body. Then I used stripped peacock eye quills, now I'm experimenting with cheap saddle hackle quills. All these are #16-18.
The Wally Wings are getting better, too, but more practice is needed to achieve different lengths and shapes. It's a process that comes with practice!
Keep on tying! :)

Attachments

#78 ·
Cinnamon Mallard Feathers

Here at Badin Shores we have a resident population of what I call "cinnamon" mallards. They are much more drab and brown than normal mallards, and they have some unique flank feathers. Excellent for darker Catskill wings and Wally Wings. These I picked up yesterday- I see several flies here! :) Keep on tying!

Attachments

#80 ·
Flies for Puget Sound

My oldest and best friend of over 50 years lives in the Seattle area, and his wife and he just took up flyfishing last week...guess who's getting a passel of flies suitable for sea run cutthroat on a 5 wt. ?
Vaskebjørns, Agerhønens, reverse spiders...by the looks of these flies, cutthroat must be as gullible/opportunistic as bass!
Keep on tying! :)

Attachments

#81 ·
Busy on Sea Run Cutthroat flies for Puget Sound

Just shipped out 3 dozen flies to Washington State, the guys already ordered 3 dozen more! A mixed bag of several different styles. Tickled to find that several old patterns are still fished regularly up there (female coachman, spruce fly, etc). All #8-#12.
The stimulator is mine- I tie these up big and bushy; takes a big bobber to hold up one of my depth charged nymphs!
Tight lines and bobbins, everybody. :)

Attachments

#86 ·
Just shipped out 3 dozen flies to Washington State, the guys already ordered 3 dozen more! A mixed bag of several different styles. Tickled to find that several old patterns are still fished regularly up there (female coachman, spruce fly, etc). All #8-#12.
The stimulator is mine- I tie these up big and bushy; takes a big bobber to hold up one of my depth charged nymphs!
Tight lines and bobbins, everybody. :)
Very sharp !!

#82 ·
Finally got a ton of sea run cutthroat flies done and headed west...guys around here spinfishing have been bringing in some nice bass on plastic crayfish, so I had to try a crayfish fly. A Near 'Nuf in a size #4. Hook rides up, clouser style.
Also finally broke down and bought a Solarez Roadie kit. The UV resin bullet-headed flash minnow has been wearing the dinks out for a couple days now here at Badin.
Tight lines and bobbins, everybody!

Attachments

#87 ·
One week of winter tying left!!! 🙂🙂
Just got through with all I'm going to do for a while- took 3 solid hours of rebagging and sorting and cleaning and stowing away to clean up the bench.
These are the last 4 flies I tied up for Puget Sound sea run cutthroat. Sizes #8 and #10.
Researching the fishery has got me starting to itch to catch one! :)
Until the "Spring Tying" thread starts...keep warm and tight lines! Let's Go fishing!!!

Attachments

#95 ·
This is funny. I know one person in this thread from the planted tank forum, another from the shooters forum, and another from instagram. Lol. Too many hobbies!

I don’t know much about shad flies but seems like any small clouser would work.
Wings... I still have a few of the flies you gave me for the fish tank 5 or 6 years ago. Thanks again!

#96 ·
Sky's the limit on shad flies. I usually tie them on Mustad 3366 hooks in sizes 4 - 6. Bead chain eyes and a mix of colors, bright and dark. Calf tail, marabou, saddle hackle and a bit of crystal flash or flashabou. Every river and every fisherman have their favorite colors, but hard to go wrong with a chartreuse for starters. You can also tie them on small jigheads, 1/8 - 1/32 oz.

#99 ·
We are fishing Randleman today. My buddy has a new 8wt so we’ll see if he can do any good. I won’t be fly fishing today, but we killed them exactly one year ago today on white flukes and jerkbaits of all things, so that is easy to imitate on a fly rod.

#102 ·
At the end of my first year of tying, I took a 2 week self-imposed break from tying. Since then, I've been tying up green Hurricane nymphs, Guide's Choice Hare's Ear nymphs, Rhody flat-wings, some funky flies for bass and panfish that take a cue from Norwegian sea run trout flies, and some Czech-style nymphs.
The panfish have been wearing the Hurricane out, as well as the Guide's Choice. Have even hauled in 1 hog mama on 4x tippet and the 5 wt. that took a size #16 Hurricane nymph. I don't have any pictures of her, I had the phone filming it, but the fight lasted so long (8 minutes on tape, probably 3 or 4 minutes before I started filming) that I didn't take the time to snap a picture; I got her back in the water quick. Fastfreddie has seen her over on a certain social media site.... :)
Tight lines, everybody!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.