Great day on the Pamlico

Thread: Great day on the Pamlico

Default Great day on the Pamlico

After all the reports of fish kills, Ive been itching to get back on the water to fish and investigate. Headed out with J.Edwards on Sunday and braved the super cold temps on the "ugly duckly". Guides on the rod were freezing between every cast and the water was very muddy. We stuck it out until 10:30 and called it, with only a gizzard shad to show for our efforts and cold hands.

Headed down to the Pamlico on Monday and invited my neighbor Terry to come along. Terry is a veteran striperman, he is in his 70s and was braving the cold last week making solo trips on the Pam. We headed further east to escape the muddy mess from sunday and hit the water around 10 and he struck first with a short in the first 5 min. He puts 4 more in the boat with a nice slot 23" stud. I finally catch a short to get on the board and its game on. We found them shallow and deep. I put a few nice keepers in the boat, make a cast and bam. The hardest thump and dead weight I've felt in awhile. It feels like an eternity when the beast finally surfaces and its a nice largemouth. We estimated it to be close to 6lbs, my second biggest and a very healthy fish. I release her to fight another day. We fish around some more and another hard hit, this time its a 25.5" striper. Quality fish!!! Terry boats another slot just over 23". I make a cast over to the shallows and mr red fish shows up to party!!! We keep fishing, catching numerous shorts and finally I put the last keeper in the box around 2 to finish off our limit. We ended up the day with around 30 stripers (4 keepers) 3 in the slot, a nice largemouth, and a 19" red. No trout, but wasn't targeting them, didn't see any floaters either. 2018 starting off with a BANG!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	20180115_162327.jpg‎
Views:	568
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	174210 Click image for larger version.

Name:	20180115_125924.jpg‎
Views:	562
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	174218 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG952018011595115210049.jpg‎
Views:	543
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	174226 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG952018011595112830416.jpg‎
Views:	521
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	174234 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG952018011595112836725.jpg‎
Views:	470
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	174242 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG952018011595112910931.jpg‎
Views:	488
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	174250

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

great report. it makes it feel much warmer when you're catching fish. i've been given the ok to come back down either this weekend or next but i've been holding off b/c of no reports. i thought all the fish had died down there. now im excited to get back down there and get back on the stripers.

Great Report RP - definitely front page material with all the bad news we have been seeing in the past couple of weeks. Come on Mods you need to put some hope back in the audience!!

I also braved the weather on Saturday and gave it a try around New Bern this past weekend. No luck here for me, but I know there are still fish in the area. I did not see much in the way of floaters either - just a couple of small Specs. Been waiting to see a good news story - thanks for settling my stomach from the permanent churn I have been having lately.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great news. I fish the river and creeks around Maules Point and wondered if the trout there were effected. Was there ice where you were? Thanks for the report.

Heck yeah chad, good to see a good report!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice day! Beautiful LM, been awhile since I caught a bass that size.
    Chris - Trash Fish Extraordinaire! - 17' Twin Vee skiff - Discovery 124F kayak

Great report Chad!!! I am itching to get back out but I have so much going on right now. Hopefully I can get back out in February and start off as good as you have!!
    Red X Angler

Great report! Glad to hear there's life out there.
    Aka: Inshorefisher

Quote Originally Posted by philjam View Post
    Great news. I fish the river and creeks around Maules Point and wondered if the trout there were effected. Was there ice where you were? Thanks for the report.
    I didn't see any ice

I was honestly glad and relieved to see the first striper. I thought to myself "THEY DO EXIST!!!" After all the bad news of widespread cold stuns and fish kills everything was looking pretty bleak. My biggest fear is dead water or water that doesn't contain fish. Because everybody knows you can't catch whats not there. A sign of life was fantastic!! The epic bite there after was an added bonus.
    Neptune likes this.

Great report-thanks. Do you feel the presence of fish up there could translate into less doom and gloom than the predictions supply? I think strippers are more cold hardy than the local specs and drum but I'm not sure of that. Did you experience close to the same low temperatures for a similar number of days as the rest of the coast. Feel free to lie if it will make me feel more optimistic

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    GreyGhost likes this.

Blog Entries

Congrats on the Blog Award!
    BRITGUY likes this.

Well done, Chad!!

Congratulations on the award Chad!!
    wademaster likes this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Great report!!! Congratulations on the fishing and the Blog Award!

Darrell
    Red X Angler

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements