Uwharrie River Bank fishing near Uwharrie Hunt Camp

Thread: Uwharrie River Bank fishing near Uwharrie Hunt Camp

Default Uwharrie River Bank fishing near Uwharrie Hunt Camp

I am going to be doing some hiking and camping near the Uwharrie Hunt Camp. We will be camping near the river and I wanted to try my luck. With the melting snow run off not sure what the water condition will be. What would you suggest for bait for this time of year and possibly murky water?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Fishing will be slow no matter what you use. Live minnows might work.

Depends what species you are after. I have caught some very large trout in very cold water using small flies or egg sacks
    2020 LMB Total :130; largest 6# 5oz! Total over 4:14; lifetime largest 9.25
    2020 Crappie Total:75 biggest:1.5#

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Your phrase "using bait" on that river concerns me a little... There is a good, but fragile, smallmouth bass fishery on that river, and most of us would encourage people to catch and release smallies on that river, and traditionally, bait fishermen keep their catches.

While it is legal to keep them, I would encourage you to release any small mouth bass you catch on that river.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Quote Originally Posted by ctgentry View Post
    I am going to be doing some hiking and camping near the Uwharrie Hunt Camp. We will be camping near the river and I wanted to try my luck. With the melting snow run off not sure what the water condition will be. What would you suggest for bait for this time of year and possibly murky water?

I would guess that the fishing will be very, very slow. Honestly, probably not worth doing (IMHO).

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnores View Post
    I would guess that the fishing will be very, very slow. Honestly, probably not worth doing (IMHO).
    fishing is never slow it’s the catching that can be.
    sekod likes this.

2020 LMB Total :130; largest 6# 5oz! Total over 4:14; lifetime largest 9.25
    2020 Crappie Total:75 biggest:1.5#

Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    Your phrase "using bait" on that river concerns me a little... There is a good, but fragile, smallmouth bass fishery on that river, and most of us would encourage people to catch and release smallies on that river, and traditionally, bait fishermen keep their catches.

While it is legal to keep them, I would encourage you to release any small mouth bass you catch on that river.
    I do have some lure suggestions from what has worked for me in other smallie waters, if you want that.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Many fish, especally the two bass species, leave the shallow waters of the river and head to the deeper waters of Lake Tillery during winter.. I know this to be a fact because I've seen smallmouth caught in winter by guys fishing the lake. You may get a few Roanokes, but those are a species of special concern and should be released. I frankly, wouldn't waste my time.

Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post

Shhhh....aint no smallies in the Uwharrie...
    No fooling, though, the balance there is fragile and delicate. Now gar in the river are PLENTIFUL...☺
    Lifelong fishing nut. Wish I was fishin, instead of wishing!

Quote Originally Posted by jerry condrey View Post
    Many fish, especally the two bass species, leave the shallow waters of the river and head to the deeper waters of Lake Tillery during winter.. I know this to be a fact because I've seen smallmouth caught in winter by guys fishing the lake. You may get a few Roanokes, but those are a species of special concern and should be released. I frankly, wouldn't waste my time.
    I first found out about them from guys at Bass Pro, years ago, mentioning the same thing about catching them in the Lake In winter...
    Lifelong fishing nut. Wish I was fishin, instead of wishing!

Like Len said in an earlier post, the smallmouth are not native there, and if we want to continue to have a nice place to catch them, they should all be released. Same for the Roanokes. NC for the most part makes of the range of this cousin of the rock bass, and they've done well in the Uwharrie. They, like the smallies are not native to the Uwharrie, but to a few rivers down east.
    noseman12 likes this.

I typically practice catch and release with all species in public waters and most private ponds unless specifically asked by owner to remove.

Bass McMasterson, and noseman12 like this.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements