Little Tennessee river question?

Thread: Little Tennessee river question?

Default Little Tennessee river question?

Is there public bank access to the Little T River in the vicinity of the Sandlin Bridge?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The Little Tennessee upstream of the US 74 is mostly public land under a conservation easement owned by the NC Wildlife Resources Commission. it is known as the Needmore Tract. (See below). Lower Sawmill Creek Road off of NC 28 is a dirt road that will take you down to the river for some great wade fishing, but there are a lot of other access points upstream from there as well.

I have fly fished this area for smallies several times.

The 4500-acre Needmore Tract was purchased by the State of North Carolina in January of 2004 as a nature preserve. The Tract includes 26 miles of Little Tennessee River frontage, 37 miles of tributary streams to the river and serves as the keystone to the forested corridor connecting the Nantahala and Cowee Mountain Ranges. The Little Tennessee River through the Needmore Tract is home to half the native, freshwater fish species in North Carolina and the greatest diversity of freshwater mussels in the State.
    The Needmore Tract is managed by the NC Wildlife Resources Commission, which protects water quality and wildlife habitat while maintaining traditional uses of the land. The twenty-five miles of free-flowing Little Tennessee River downstream of the town of Franklin is considered the Noah’s Ark of Blue Ridge rivers due to its rich biological diversity. The river corridor also encompasses the most intact archaeological landscape remaining of the 18th century Cherokee. With the purchase of the Needmore Tract over half of this reach of river was preserved for present and future generations.
    Ron
    Durham NC
    badankles, gambusia, and noseman12 like this.

The stretch mentioned above by @Botanist, off the dirt road from 28 up toward 74 is beautiful and great for wet wading for smallies.
    gambusia, and noseman12 like this.

when's a noob no longer a noob...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks I've fished upstream of there before. I know walleye stage around the Sandlin Bridge before heading upstream to spawn.

Where is this Sandlin Bridge? I live on the Little Tn River off of Hwy 28, few miles north of Franklin. Not familiar with Sandlin.
    I kayak and bank fish a good bit. Catch quite a few SM and Rock Bass, mostly using a texas rigged plastic worm.

The bridge where US 74/19 crosses the Little Tennessee River at Fontana Lake
    noseman12 likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements