Oak Hollow 2-25-18: New PB 9 lbs, 8 oz! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oak Hollow 2-25-18: New PB 9 lbs, 8 oz!

Don't fret Drew. They tend to get bigger over the years. That 9 -3 I got is approaching 11 pounds now, depending on who you're talking to. But seriously folks. He's a UK fan, and the epitome of honesty..lol

All kidding aside, Drew is one of the most honest people I know...
    Bleedingblue likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That price isn't bad at all. I'm assuming your smallie was 5+. I'll make note of the company.
    Thanks for the time.
    Bleedingblue likes this.

nice fish...
    Bleedingblue likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedingblue View Post
    Just before noon I hooked the biggest bass Iíve ever seen on the end of my line or anybody else that Iíve fished with. It wasnít what I imagined when daydreaming about a giant, but Iíll remember the details forever. Pics first then story below.

Attachment 179866Attachment 179874Attachment 179882

I had high hopes for the day with the somewhat surprising success the previous week. The water was 55 at the ramp and I saw as high as 60. I headed straight to the area where I caught most of my fish last week and it was still muddy/heavily stained. I had fished for an hour without even a bump and was questioning what was happening. I had worked my way all the way to the back of a pocket and was showing about a foot under the trolling motor. I was getting ready to turn around and head back out, but I made one long cast with a chatterbait near a laydown but it was more of a fan cast. Several turns in the rod loaded but I never felt a hit. I set the hook and it didnít feel like a fish. Honestly, it felt like I was dragging a log that was intermittently grabbing on the bottom. After a moment I realized it actually was a fish. It came to the boat pretty quickly and I saw a big flash but no detail because of the water color. She ran for the bottom but with it so shallow she had nowhere to go. After two short runs she turned and came to the top and I finally saw just how large the fish was. As soon as I got her head out of the water she just kind of gave up and I grabbed her. I got her in the boat and the hook fell out of her mouth! I suppose, when it is your time to catch a big one you are going to catch it. Needless to say I was a mess. I clipped her to a fish gripper on a rope to keep her in the water and trolled out of the wind. I took photos, weighed and measured her (24.5Ē). She was tired after the ordeal so I took my time reviving her. After getting some water through her gills I supported her upright by the belly and when she was ready slowly swam away. Absolutely fantastic. This fish blew away my previous personal best (7-11) which I caught just 371 days ago. It may be the largest bass I ever touch and it will certainly be a huge challenge to top my new mark, but Iím looking forward to trying.

Itís impossible to have a bad day after catching a beast like that but it was slow for a long time. I finally caught a 2 lb fish on a jerkbait then things picked up a bit. Caught one dink on a squarebill, and caught 4 more on the chatterbait up to 2-10. My last fish was a nice crappie also on the chatterbait. With this much success so early in the year I couldnít be more excited about the next 6-8 weeks. Thanks for reading.

My lure (for those interested): Strike King Rage Blade. Ĺ oz with gold blade, chart skirt, tipped with a pearl Zoom Fluke Jr.
    Awesome!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Funny story about this thread. I fished at Oak Hollow Friday. I walk into the marina and the staff worker says to the guys in front of me... “I weighed a 9 and 1/2 for a guy last week.”
    Fisherman says, “yeah I saw it online. I bet he was wearing a Kentucky hat wasn’t he? “ Lol.

There were lots of boats on the water but I think most were pre fishing for Saturday’s tournament. We managed 5 fish, with one pushing 6 lbs but I’m sure others did better. Water temps ranged from 47 to 52. We actually did better in the colder water oddly enough.
    Bleedingblue, and GreyGhost like this.

"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."

Quote Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
    Funny story about this thread. I fished at Oak Hollow Friday. I walk into the marina and the staff worker says to the guys in front of me... ďI weighed a 9 and 1/2 for a guy last week.Ē
    Fisherman says, ďyeah I saw it online. I bet he was wearing a Kentucky hat wasnít he? ď Lol.

There were lots of boats on the water but I think most were pre fishing for Saturdayís tournament. We managed 5 fish, with one pushing 6 lbs but Iím sure others did better. Water temps ranged from 47 to 52. We actually did better in the colder water oddly enough.
    LOL. He didn't weigh the fish. I actually told them about the fish the next week when I came back. He asked me to e-mail him a photo.

Actually, 5 with one close to 6 is a pretty good day. I fished on Saturday but I didn't know about the tournament until I got there. I almost left but I decided I'd stay till 11 and if fishing was lousy I'd pack up and head to Randleman. I caught 3 fish on jig from 2.5 to 4.5 lbs and decided to stay cause I knew the water would be warming. I don't know what happened whether it was too much boat traffic from the tournament or a front passing but I got only 1 more bite from 10:30 till 6:30. The lake went from way too crowded to deserted after 3:00 so I had the best part of the evening to fish anywhere I wanted. Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out why it was so awful. I caught nice fish in 48 degree water but I couldn't get bit in 51 degree water. I know there are fish where I was at because I've been catching them since February. Total head scratcher.
    GreyGhost likes this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by toomuch View Post
    Well done, Andrew! Beautiful specimen.
    I'm interested to see some replica prices for a bass of that size. Just last weekend, I had a friend tell me replicas were a lot more expensive. If you do mount it, could you give us some info?
    Appreciate it, and congrats.
    As promised, I have two quotes and they are very close in price. Both prices are the replica painted both sides, mounted on driftwood, with shipping.

Lake Fork Taxidermy: $470
    American Fish Taxidermy: $468

I haven't decided which I'm going to use but I'm leaning toward AFT. They have a 60 day turnaround time and a satisfaction guarantee. There are a bunch of these outfits out there making replicas and you might find a better deal but Lake Fork is my reference since they did my PB smallie.
    JBassAssassin, and yakattackabass like this.

Tight lines,
    Andrew

Congrats on the giant! She is a beauty and it’s awesome that you took the time to revive her before Letting her go. That is a hawg!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

Thanks, Andrew for taking the time.
    Bleedingblue likes this.

GREAT FISH!!! And GOOD ON YOU for releasing a giant and your PB!
    Bleedingblue likes this.

I am new to the area and just moved to High Point from the NC Mountains. Ive fished Oak Hollow and HPL once and had some luck at Oak Hollow not far from the boat access (Kayak). I was planning on fishing Oak Hollow sunday and was wondering if I could get some advice? What general area I should paddle to and what they are biting? I previously had luck with a spinnerbait at Oak Hollow.

My brother and his son got five today at HPCL, two were over five pounds. On spinner baits. Now that the weekend's here, the weather's turning to garbage..

Quote Originally Posted by Mriley View Post
    I am new to the area and just moved to High Point from the NC Mountains. Ive fished Oak Hollow and HPL once and had some luck at Oak Hollow not far from the boat access (Kayak). I was planning on fishing Oak Hollow sunday and was wondering if I could get some advice? What general area I should paddle to and what they are biting? I previously had luck with a spinnerbait at Oak Hollow.
    Look at a map and find Skeet Club road. Head up the creek arm that is crossed by that road. I fish almost back to the road bridge all the way to the mouth. You can encounter good fishing potentially in any of the bays/pockets in that creek. The fish in this post came out of that creek arm. There are other good spots but if I was you I'd spend the whole day exploring that creek and getting to know what is available. As for baits any of the standard spring fare will produce: spinnerbaits, squarebill, chatterbaits, jigs, T-rig, senkos, and topwater depending on conditions. You should have a mix of pre-spawn and spawning fish.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry condrey View Post
    My brother and his son got five today at HPCL, two were over five pounds. On spinner baits. Now that the weekend's here, the weather's turning to garbage..
    I don't know cold and rain seems to be right in my wheelhouse this spring. I think it has rained on me at least 1/2 my trips. Plus it drives away all the fair weather fishermen.
    Tight lines,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedingblue View Post
    Look at a map and find Skeet Club road. Head up the creek arm that is crossed by that road. I fish almost back to the road bridge all the way to the mouth. You can encounter good fishing potentially in any of the bays/pockets in that creek. The fish in this post came out of that creek arm. There are other good spots but if I was you I'd spend the whole day exploring that creek and getting to know what is available. As for baits any of the standard spring fare will produce: spinnerbaits, squarebill, chatterbaits, jigs, T-rig, senkos, and topwater depending on conditions. You should have a mix of pre-spawn and spawning fish.

I don't know cold and rain seems to be right in my wheelhouse this spring. I think it has rained on me at least 1/2 my trips. Plus it drives away all the fair weather fishermen.
    So that's the secret to your success, huh? Wait til everyone else is home?..lol
    Bleedingblue likes this.

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123