Best male rock guitarists? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best male rock guitarists?

Mick Mars from Motley Crue comes to mind also.

kevcoachk, and mindcrime like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Stephan Stills is very good.

Yngwie Malmsteen... the best I've ever seen. Watched him live open for AC/DC he was so good when they came on they got booed! (They left came back playing a good song and all was fine!)
    mindcrime likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Synyster Gates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Gene - Red X ​- Asheboro

I know this is a pretty old discussion now, but I was riding down the road yesterday scanning the FM and audible gold flowed into my ears.... JOE SATRIANI!!!!!! Haven't heard him in 25 years!! Incredible guitarist.
    P-nut

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    I know this is a pretty old discussion now, but I was riding down the road yesterday scanning the FM and audible gold flowed into my ears.... JOE SATRIANI!!!!!! Haven't heard him in 25 years!! Incredible guitarist.
    Jack Pearson, session man for the Bros. and Gregg Allman
    best unknown in the world

Terry Kath from Chicago was Jimi Hendrix's favorite guitarist and Hendrix said that Kath was better than him.
    Todd Rundgren is overlooked too.
    Then of course, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Duane Allman, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana, Johnny Winter, Eddie Van Halen, Pat Metheny is amazing but he's fusion/jazz, Joe Perry of Aerosmith, Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser of Blue Oyster Cult, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter of Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers. Robbie Krieger of the Doors, Jerry Garcia of the Dead, Steve Howe of Yes, Dickey Betts of the Allman Brothers, Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple, Bob Welch of older Fleetwood Mac, Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits, Keith Richard of the Stones, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Joe Walsh, Allen Collins and Garry Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Hughie Thomasson of the Outlaws.
    derekp likes this.

You guys are going to laugh and if you throw tomatoes, please use fresh out of a can.

Back in the early 80s my favorite cousin wanted to go to the Rick Springfield concert but her mother wouldn't let her go unless she went with a family member so she asked me. I liked Jesse's Girl and figured there would be a 50 to 1 girl to guy ratio and I like girls so why not?

When he did the long guitar solo my jaw hit the floor. The man could tear it up! Yeah I know, many thought of him as a just pretty boy teen girl idol but the dude can play. 20 or so years later I clicked on a Stone Temple Pilots video on you tube and he was playing on stage with them and the man had gotten even better. Not bad for the guy that lasted only 10 minutes in the first Battle Star Galactica movie!
    kevcoachk, and yakattackabass like this.

So many incredible guitar players out there. I'm a metal head so I never would have thought about John Mayer shredding so hard. Check out some of his YouTube tutorials. Super talented and extremely well rounded player.

yakattackabass quote "Terry Kath from Chicago was Jimi Hendrix's favorite guitarist"

Got a lot of love for early Chicago. Their stuff from the 70s was great...not so much the 80s.

Come to think of it, a lot of great bands from the 70s just lost it during the 80s. Guess they sobered up and lost the MoJo.

All that aside, my all time favs would have to be David Gilmore and Prince...and Keith Richards. Why? Glad you asked. They might be overshadowed by the speed and insane complexity of say an Eddie Van Halen but those guys put more feeling, soul, and basically their riffs fit the mood of the song. It's like they played to the song and not to show technical prowess...if that makes any sense.

Slash (for you millennials look up Gun's and Roses) has that quality also. Wish Slash and Axle had stayed together. What a waste. Every time I listen to Sweet Child of Mine I cry cause of the many great songs they could have done that we will never hear.

Ok, I'm going to pour a drink and watch a GnR video and cry.

Derek
    yakattackabass likes this.

[QUOTE=derekp;1206309]You guys are going to laugh and if you throw tomatoes, please use fresh out of a can.

Back in the early 80s my favorite cousin wanted to go to the Rick Springfield concert but her mother wouldn't let her go unless she went with a family member so she asked me. I liked Jesse's Girl and figured there would be a 50 to 1 girl to guy ratio and I like girls so why not?
    QUOTE]
    So......what was the girl/guy ratio

I don't know but it was extremely high.
    theramrod likes this.

Joe Walsh pretty good.

Albert Lee
    I would not scare my pony on my boat out on the sea

In no particular order:

Mick Mars
    Tony Iommi
    Cris Oliva (RIP)
    Steve Vai