NC Angler Forums banner

Best male rock guitarists?

12K views 59 replies 24 participants last post by  mindcrime 
#1 ·
So there isn't much fishing going on so why not ask?
I'll throw in one of my favorite, and perhaps most overlooked, ax man Frank Zappa.
David Gilmour
Clapton
Jimmy Page (sloppy as he!! but still a top talent)
And tons more.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Challenger...you done it to us again...and God bless you for it. I dig this stuff. Well jiimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan come to mind. And being a deadhead I'm partial to Garcia. Can't help myself. Get out my life woman, and senor(tales of Yankee power)...a Dylan song that Jerry played and recorded with the Jerry Garcia band live in 1990. Just great. Very eclectic mix with that band...Motown, rock and roll...all over the musical map...van Morrison tunes, originals....all over the place. Great band....first time I saw them in Maryland I was just blown away at how good they were.

#3 ·
Ok. Here's my list.
.Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Brian May
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jeff Beck
BB King
George Harrison
Eddie Van Halen

Note on Harrison..McCartney played lead on many Beatles' tunes, including a few of George's. Taxman comes to mind. He played double lead with George on John's song "And Your Bird Can Sing", and many others, "Back In The USSR", " The End", which is the last track on "Abbey Road'. Actually that was a triple lead, with John, Paul, and George swapping riffs.
And, the man is one of the best bass players ever, consistently ranked in the top three.

#4 ·
Cool replies. Thanks
Garcia is an icon guitarist without doubt. I think he is overlooked because many (most?) consider the Dead to bea, "jam band", which somehow makes the musicians second class. His style and skill were groundbreaking.
Lowell George

#5 ·
Yeah...sucks they got pegged with the jam band moniker cause they really weren't that. They were a very great band and I miss going to the shows with my people..I'm just glad that some people got turned off by it back in day so I could score a ticket..lol..if you never saw the dead on a hot night it was really something special. Perhaps like seeing duke at Cameron indoor stadium with 8000 people going crazy.....kinda the same feel I suppose.

#7 ·
Tony Rice....saw him at merlefest in 92 and just thought what???...such a great experience....Allison Krause...David grisman, Sam bush....so many great folks....and doc Watson. Blind since the age of five and played guitar that would just make you say...well, you know....I would say it but...again you know. Don't want to get in trouble.

#8 ·
In no order at all
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jimmy page
Jim Hendrix
Eric Clapton
tony iommi
Jimmy page
Jerry Garcia
Dime dag Dave (metal but I’m gonna count him)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kevcoachk
#11 ·
I've got to 2nd Prince. What a talent with a guitar. Any instrument really.

Only ones I did not see mentioned are Carlos Santana and Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and I think Jeff Healey deserves a mention.

#25 ·
OK, after seeing this, and then looking at other live performances, I have to say he is as good as anyone with his guitar skills. Maybe not the best ever BUT show me someone better? Different styles may sway opinions but from pure lead guitar chops I don't know any that are more talented. Just MOJO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.