NC Angler Forums banner

Oak Island

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  JRHorne 
#1 ·
Are there any public spots on Oak Island to fish the surrounding creeks from the bank? I'm going in a couple of weeks and have never been. I'm not sure I'll be able to take a kayak.

#9 ·
All of the street ends on Oak Island are public access- ocean, creek, Davis Canal, and ICW. Some are far more accessible than others. The Point (drive down West Beach Road and go right when it splits at 64th Place (or something like that) to have access to the Lockwood Folly Inlet, the creek (old Lockwood Folly River, to be precise), and some of the shoals near the inlet. It is a favorite among many. There is a fishing dock on the ICW at the west end of W. Oak Island Drive and the street end where I live (SW Yacht Drive) is great, especially on a falling tide, though the fishing hasn't measured up to past standards in the past several years- but there is plenty of room for a backcast if you are fly fishing. There are other places to fish along the Davis Canal that have been mentioned above. If nothing else, you will get some good practice.
As for kayaks, you can launch one at SW Yacht Drive, though a high tide will keep you out of the mud. Fish up the Canal on a rising tide and then fish down on a falling tide. The current gets pretty fierce so don't try to buck the tide. Also, remember to fish on about 2 hours either side of the high tide. There is marsh near by and oyster rocks galore about 1/2 mile away.
If you bring a kayak, try the launching ramp at East Yacht (around 52nd street). It is across the ICW from Beaverdam Creek and some great marsh along the ICW during high tide. Blue Water Point (57th Place W Beach) puts you close to some good marsh between the ramp and the Lockwood Folly Inlet (west of the Blue Water Point launching ramp (city owned). Check out the Oak Island Recreation Dept. website for info on a canoe-kayak trail and numerous places to launch said craft. Also, there is a huge launching ramp at the Wildlife Ramp on Fish Factory Road- access to the Wildlife Creek or the marsh behind Caswell Beach on the south side of the ICW. And with a bit of pedaling/paddling, you can get to Dutchman's Creek. Then there's the launching ramp in Southport ($5 for non Southport residents) puts you close to the Southport waterfront as well as the Elizabeth River with all of its islands and oyster beds.
So there are plenty of bank fishing opportunities in the greater Oak Island area. If you grow weary of them, there's always the east end of Holden Beach and great access to some nice shoals and the Lockwood Folly Inlet. Or you could take a kayak to Varnamtown and have your choice of some exceptional marsh.

#11 ·
The place I was thinking of is located between NE 14th and NE 15th. Didn't know about the others, besides the inlet. Thanks Whitefish. I'll keep those launch site in mind for this summer. My Aunt has a place at Sunset Harbor. My whole family has been gathering there for a week in August for almost 50 years.

#15 ·
I want to bump this up in hopes of some more advice. Heading down for a long weekend in a few weeks. We're staying on East Beach Drive, right across from the Ocean Crest Pier. I want to hit the inshore waters for reds and other fish with my popping cork setup. I also want to get a few big ones from the surf on crabs and bunker, maybe shrimp.

Any suggestions as to where to get hooked up inshore? The house is right near 14th Place East, but we can load up and go wherever the fish are. My biggest fear is this trip is going to force my hand and make me buy a microskiff!

Beach fishing tips? Pier?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.