Bonehead Fishing Mistake #43
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonehead Fishing Mistake #43

Default Bonehead Fishing Mistake #43

Don't do what I did this past weekend, mmmkay?

I've not done any fishing of late, and decided last minute to head up to the mountains for a day of trout fishing. The weather called for snowy Saturday, but Sunday wasn't bad. I figured the stream might run muddy but what the heck, a day on the water is better than.....

So, Saturday evening, I gathered all the gear together, waders, boots, layers, flies, tippets, rod, food, drinks, etc. Some went in the trunk and some by the front door for the next morning early start.

As I sit watching TV waiting for sleepy time, there's a nagging feeling but I couldn't figured out what. I checked the weather forecast again to confirmed that the snow would end. Went through the packing list again in my head, and lo-and-behold, I forgot to pull the rod out from the closet. Bullet dodged.......or so I thought.

I got up the next morning, not as early as usual for a day trip to the mountain. I decided the night before to let the snow melt a bit. Filled up the snack bag and cooler, poured two coffee cups to-go, grabbed the rest of the gear and drove off without a hitch. Traffic was great.

Made good time, 1.5 instead of two hours so far. About 30 minutes to the first trout hole, I went through the usual routine in my head. Layers, snacks to pack while on the water, what flies to try first, what size tippet, then it hit me, did I check the reel to make sure there's enough leader? Holy crap!!!! I forgot to pack the reel. ARGH!!!!!!

That was the longest Sunday drive I've had in a long time. Hahahaha....Ugh.

when's a noob no longer a noob...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Should've went Tankara on them.
    badankles, and gambusia like this.

Red X angler

I did that on a duck hunt. I did all my packing on Fri after work and drove, like you, about an hour and a half from San Diego to the Salton sea. You got it, got all the gear out in the morning and can't find my shotgun....DUH.
    badankles likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by slickrocktom View Post
    Should've went Tankara on them.
    The thought did cross my mind. I didn't bring along a fly line, so it would have been a long strand of piece-meal tippets and lead.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonybay View Post
    I did that on a duck hunt. I did all my packing on Fri after work and drove, like you, about an hour and a half from San Diego to the Salton sea. You got it, got all the gear out in the morning and can't find my shotgun....DUH.
    Dude, that sucks....and hilarious. We can laugh about it now, right?
    spoonybay likes this.

I feel your pain.

Once forgot rod and reel after a 1.5 hour drive and didn't notice till I was in the waders ready to step into the river.
    Forgot trolling motor battery for a rather large square stern canoe and only had an emergency paddle.
    Then several trips where I forgot things that were important but didn't stop me from fishing...just made me mad.
    badankles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by derekp View Post
    I feel your pain.

Once forgot rod and reel after a 1.5 hour drive and didn't notice till I was in the waders ready to step into the river.
    Forgot trolling motor battery for a rather large square stern canoe and only had an emergency paddle.
    Then several trips where I forgot things that were important but didn't stop me from fishing...just made me mad.
    Thanks for commiserating, but this shows I need to go fishing more often.

Quote Originally Posted by badankles View Post
    Thanks for commiserating, but this shows I need to go fishing more often.
    That was what I was thinking when you first posted. 933 Posts and only #43 on bonehead fishing mistakes???

Your still a NOOB. Either that or you don't have a wife to keep count for you.
    badankles likes this.

NIGHT CREW
    Fish for em now, Sleep with em later.

I did that on Monday after work... I had just made some anchor mods for my kayak(new trolley/line/pole) and wanted to go test everything. Loaded up the truck, double checked the back seat to make sure I had everything I normally keep in back and then drove off... Only a 20 mins to the pond I was headed for but got there and had left all my rods at home
    badankles likes this.

I think we've all done something similar. A few years ago I drove 3 hours to the coast for kayak fishing and left my paddle at home. Didn't even realize it until I got to the launch. Fortunately I found a place to rent one from and it was open. Only a matter of time before something similar happens again!
    Bob
    badankles, GreyGhost, and Spider Crack like this.

Red X Angler

If I drove all that way to fish I would have gone somewhere and bought a cheap reel or combo to hold me over... and people wonder why I have so many rods... hard to forget them when you are packing a bunch.
    badankles likes this.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Oh man, this hits home...we were in the Florida keys a few and were out at the humps off marathon trolling five lines....sure enough this 30+ pound dolphin hits the rod we knew the line needed to be changed on....well, we put it one day too long...line broke...biggest fish of the week...that was a killer.
    badankles likes this.

Belews Creek is 50 minutes from my (old) house in High Point. I once drove there, backed the trailer down the ramp, hopped in the boat, and went to back off the trailer... but couldn't start the engine because I realized my boat keys were sitting on the counter in my kitchen.

Lost 2 hours of the best part of the fishing day that day. Hard lesson learned. That doesn't count the day I discovered my center console was taking on water in the stern and realized I hadn't put the plug in... I was lucky the battery (which was nearly submered) started the engine so I could get moving and beach the boat so I could get in the water in early April to put the spare plug in.

You are not alone, my friend. But these are mistakes we hope to only make once.
    badankles likes this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

Quote Originally Posted by ChltBnks View Post
    That was what I was thinking when you first posted. 933 Posts and only #43 on bonehead fishing mistakes???

Your still a NOOB. Either that or you don't have a wife to keep count for you.
    Haha, that's #43, but not in any particular order of many others.

Oh, and yes, in reading others on this post (thank you everyone for making me feel better) I definitely need and want more experience.

I really need to put a travel rod and small tackle box under the seat of my truck.
    badankles, fodder, JBassAssassin, and peanut like this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast