Belews 4/02
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belews 4/02

Default Belews 4/02

Since I had the day off I headed to Belews to try to catch a few. The water didn’t even have a ripple on the surface. As soon as I launched I see fish busting bait all over the place. I headed over and waited from them to come up. It was fast and furious for the first hour as I boated 10 spotted Bass. Nothing over 3lbs but it sure was fun to see them chase and blow up at the Ima Skimmer. As soon as the sun came up I headed to the banks to find some spawning fish. I stayed in one cove with a bunch of docks all day. There was fish everywhere!! I saw more 4-6 pounders than I can even count. I caught 8 more sight fishing them with a white trick worm and a zoom worm. Water was 63-65 degrees. And my luck works takes me away for 2 weeks during the best weeks of the year to fish
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	FB88A518-1E83-4464-BC39-2920C4EEB77C_1522696693265.jpeg‎†
Views:	275†
Size:	111.6 KB†
ID:	183690Click image for larger version.†

Name:	66933BA0-9E7C-428F-BE26-ACAC6C46696C_1522696702275.jpeg‎†
Views:	230†
Size:	240.2 KB†
ID:	183698

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good job on the Alabama bass.

Man, we should talk lol. I spent about 5 hours on the lake on Saturday and got blanked. Plenty of boats out, 3/4 of them pounding the shorelines.

I was half fishing half breaking in a new motor on my new-to-me boat. I cruised shorelines and did not see the first bed. I'm guessing that b/c the water is so clear that these fish must spawn deeper than most lakes. That said, the water down by 158 was downright muddy, 2-3 inches of visibility. Water in the backs of coves was much cleaner. 6-7 feet of visibility. I only saw 3-4 cruising "bucks", about 3/4 to 1 pound each. I even broke out a finesse 2.5" smoke-clear tube and they had no interest in that.

It was also windy on Saturday too.

Anyways - if anyone sees me out, this is what I'm fishing out of now.....say hello. I'm most likely struggling to catch anything if you see me lol. I WILL LEARN THIS LAKE IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I feel your struggle. I was like that last year on this lake but I’ve put in a lot of time to figuring it out. Spotted bass rule that lake and they are a different animal than largemouths. I fish a lot near Carolina marina in the clear water which spots love. The water is also warmer that way since it’s near the hot hole which is why you probably didn’t see any beds. But if you have any questions I can try to help you out as much as I can

I fished with a tournament guy once while he was practicing, and the key for the beds seemed to be they like to bed under some sort of horizontal cover. Water pipe, piece of wood, fallen tree, anything to hide them from overhead view. PontoonMike, you have selected the more difficult section of the lake to learn, and I applaud you for it but this time of year it's all about the spawn in the warmer clear parts.
    - Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

No problem, thanks for the feedback SurfRider & Carolinacrazy

I've kinda forgone the lower end of the lake and I'm headed up to the areas you guys talk about b/c honestly the water down near 158 is still in the mid 50's in a lot of places. And did I mention muddy!

BrownDog showed me a few spots last year but I haven't fished them this year, I don't like encroaching on people's spots. I'm trying to find my own. I'm hoping spending enough time on the water will pay off. I really don't have any excuses since I live on the lake.

One question for Carolina, were you casting to the bank with the soft plastics and if so, how deep were you still fishing on the retrieve back? I ask b/c as you know the lake is so deep, you can be 5 yards off the shoreline and be in 20 feet of water, headed to 40 feet.

Also if you don't mind me asking, what technique were you using with the soft plastics? Texas rig? Weightless? I was throwing jigs and tubes that whole day.

Also, has anyone fished in what I call "the pond" up by the power plant? It's a cove that's shaped like a round pond that borders the driveway entrance to the powerplant. It's shallow around the edges with visibility up to probably 10 feet of water but the bottom composition looks perfect for a ned rig, finesse worm, or deep crank scuffing off the bottom in the middle of the "pond". Like I said, the edges out to about 20 feet off the shore seem too shallow and exposed for anything but the occasional "cruiser" to be caught in but I couldn't help but wonder if they were stacked up in the middle where it was too deep to see bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinacrazy25 View Post
    I feel your struggle. I was like that last year on this lake but Iíve put in a lot of time to figuring it out. Spotted bass rule that lake and they are a different animal than largemouths. I fish a lot near Carolina marina in the clear water which spots love. The water is also warmer that way since itís near the hot hole which is why you probably didnít see any beds. But if you have any questions I can try to help you out as much as I can
    You are correct that the Alabama bass pretty much have taken over, like they did at Norman. They, like the real spotted bass, are more aggressive than largemouth. But they are at Belews to stay, and we will see how much damage they do to the native largemouth population. As long as they don't continue to move other bodies of water, it may be ok. It seems to be the two species can get along amicably enough in some locations, but normally, the Bama's hyper active nature roots out the other micropterus species, like the total demolition of the smallmouth in Lake Chatuge. Belews, with its deep clear water, is custom made for the invader.

Also, the "Man" to ask on Belews and its Alabama bass is Bleedingblue. He has logged a good bit of time up there and has done quite well.

Awesome, I'll keep an eye out. Like I said, I'm not looking for spots, just tips on presentations. I want to learn the lake the hard way (ie the satisfying way). I'm from the south and this lake isn't like anything I've fished before.....I'm used to shallow water, lillypads, and stumps

I have caught them on Pointers, shaky head worms, c rigged speedcraws for the most part.

PontoonMike,

So during the morning the bass were schooling in anywhere from 10ft off the banks to having my boat sitting in 85ft of water in the creek channel. But as far as the way I was fishing was I would go down a bank with docks and flip and pitch a t-rig worm along the edges and ends of the docks looking for the deeper spawning fish. As I finished a dock I would look at the bank and look for beds/fish. Once I found one I would stop and throw a white weightless trick worm. I would be just far enough to see the worm and bass and shake it a little bit and twitch it. Some of the bass it took like 10 times swiping at the worm since they are just trying to get it out of the bed. But it’s really fun to watch them play with it and eat it

I fished it today 9:30 till3:30 caught several 4 @ 2 and 2 a3+ fishing motor oil w/red flake leach type plastic 4 " ( Keeper brand 082 red flake reaper. They are on internet last time I checked. They are a California hand poured bait. I had to be into the downed trees appx 3 to 5 feet deep. fished across from Humphreys ridge in 1st third of coves.
    jerry condrey likes this.

Keeper Worms seem to be out of business. I am checking with club members of my old bass club in Modesto Ca. to find out what goes on. Will post my findings when I hear back.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry condrey View Post
    Also, the "Man" to ask on Belews and its Alabama bass is Bleedingblue. He has logged a good bit of time up there and has done quite well.
    Appreciate the vote of confidence but I strictly fish Belews in the winter (basically, from December until the water in the local lakes gets above 46 degrees). I think I have seen some pre-spawn activity out there in February but I've never fished it during the actual spawn.

For Mike, if you have stained/muddy water in the 50 degree range, it's time to tie on the spinnerbait or chatterbait and start hitting some shallow wood in the river area. That pretty much describes how I have caught all my bigger fish this spring.
    Tight lines,
    Andrew

Found the phone number for Keeper Worms in calif. 559-562-1951. If anyone is interested in custom hand poured baits. They make a wide variety of colors and styles.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast