Opinions on roaches (golden shiners)

Thread: Opinions on roaches (golden shiners)

Default Opinions on roaches (golden shiners)

My local hole behind my house was decimated by Matthew. The pond is about 7 acres and has been around for 50-60 years. I fished it religiously for the past 10. I never saw, caught or saw any signs of roach in that pond, and I spent hours upon hours on it. When the dam burst it pulled 50 years of fish, turtles, crawdads, detritus, logs.. Everything. No pools, no holes, no puddles. The owner rebuilt the dam last May and it refilled within days with crystal clear water.
    It already holds boo-ku bass, bream and crappie AND ROACHES! Yes, multiple people known and unknown have bucket stocked with the above desirable species but the roach are also very numerous and swim around in huge balls! 1 ball in particular are hanging around 2 bedding bass and get chased away repeatedly. I know they have to be an excellent forage fish for bass and crappie but are they detrimental to a pond? I'm sure they ended up in there by someone emptying their bait bucket....
    P-nut

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Shiners certainly can be detrimental. They will ruin a pond by eating the eggs of more desirable species. Bass will cull their numbers somewhat, but enough will survive to decimate the pond. I saw a lake in High Point ruined by shiners..
    dbeam likes this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Wow I did not know that Jerry. If their aren't enough bass to keep them in check what are the options. I would think anything voracious enough to thin the shiners would, be as bad or worse for the LMB?

Darrell
    Red X Angler

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The best big bass ponds I have ever know have golden Shiners in them. nothing wrong with them . they are native.
    Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

Golden shiners practice brood parasitism, ​which means they dump as many as 200,000 eggs in the nests of bass, bluegill, and other species. The parent species then protects the baby shiners, giving them a leg up in the biological arms race. The pond in High Point I spoke of once had bass, bluegill and crappie. People fishing there bucket stocked shiners, and within a few years people bream fishing were catching the things on worms. Soon, bass were hard to find, and the crappie and bluegill seen on beds were stunted, only about half the size of adult fish..I found opinions both ways online, but the species is listed as "Undesirable" for pond stocking.
    roostertail24 likes this.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements