Topwater on a frosty morning

Thread: Topwater on a frosty morning

Default Topwater on a frosty morning

My buddy and I left Raleigh at 41 degrees and arrived at a Cary lake at 630 to find frost on the Ground and a cold 37 degrees. As we are walking along the bank notice lots of big swirls so backed off the bank as we approached the first spot. I started with pop n image bullfrog and on first cast BAM a nice 2.5 pounder has it across the mouth. Was worried it be one of those first cats bites days but after about 15 minutes managed four blowups and landed another 1.5 pounder.

After one miss tossed a worm and line starts running to deep water and miss the hookset. Very next cast same spot again a grab and run but this time the hookset is good and a nice 4.17 pounder on board. It is now about 8am my buddy has landed 3 and had one early release So we decided to head to a pond plus had to make a PIT stop. Not a single bump, bite etc at the pond which is amazing since it produced in dead of winter. We finally at 10am head to another Cary lake and we each landed one on a red eye both hitting less than 5 feet from the shore line. I ended up with a 4 on worm two 2 one popper one red eye and a 1.5 on popper. He ended witn four dinks tow on popper two on red eye
    Abert43, Lowman, and spoonybay like this.

2020 LMB Total :130; largest 6# 5oz! Total over 4:14; lifetime largest 9.25
    2020 Crappie Total:75 biggest:1.5#

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by spidey View Post
    My buddy and I left Raleigh at 41 degrees and arrived at a Cary lake at 630 to find frost on the Ground and a cold 37 degrees. As we are walking along the bank notice lots of big swirls so backed off the bank as we approached the first spot. I started with pop n image bullfrog and on first cast BAM a nice 2.5 pounder has it across the mouth. Was worried it be one of those first cats bites days but after about 15 minutes managed four blowups and landed another 1.5 pounder.

After one miss tossed a worm and line starts running to deep water and miss the hookset. Very next cast same spot again a grab and run but this time the hookset is good and a nice 4.17 pounder on board. It is now about 8am my buddy has landed 3 and had one early release So we decided to head to a pond plus had to make a PIT stop. Not a single bump, bite etc at the pond which is amazing since it produced in dead of winter. We finally at 10am head to another Cary lake and we each landed one on a red eye both hitting less than 5 feet from the shore line. I ended up with a 4 on worm two 2 one popper one red eye and a 1.5 on popper. He ended witn four dinks tow on popper two on red eye
    Yet another 4! NICE job. I'm not gonna lie I've lost a few BIG UN' S due to treble hooks on a heavy topwater bait BUT it's like a addiction. I'm gonna keep hitting em with topwater.

4. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements