A quick run to the lake

Thread: A quick run to the lake

Default A quick run to the lake

The retirement life is difficult at times. After my morning pool workout and a trip to garden center to pick up a few more items for the landscape and some lime for the lawn I had a massage session. By the time I got home and finished up some yard stuff it was 4pm so headed to Umstead hoping for some action. I fished one spot and decided with the water color to toss around my 3/4 oz red eye chartreuse baitfish color. Third cast about 1/4 of way in on my cast BAM and I feel the head shaking like crazy and fish came flying out of the water. A nice 2# landed and returned. A few more tosses and SLAM feel something on but no head shake but moving along but lose the fish. Tossed on exact same line and again reeling in at about same spot BAM fish on a 2.5 pounder. Check my line and toss again in similar line and about same location BAM another fish on and another 2.5. Toss again same spot and BAM a 3#. All hit it hard and last one really gave a nice fight taking drag. Toss one more time and BAM a 1.5 landed. So 5 casts 5 hits and four landed. I canít recall EVER getting four in a row except for a very low pressured lake I fished in February. Checked my line and decided after five hits in a row and five landed it was time for a new knot. Didnít get another bite after that but overall a nice day of 5 fish landed in about 1 hour of fishing. Tried tossing a worm around grass line as well as a popper close to bank line with no takers so all the action was further out and chasing down that 3/4 oz red eye.

so far the pace of 2018 is going good 167 in first four months of the year. Really looking for the topwater action to,pick up and I think this weeks warm temps may get the topwater going but may also get the fish on beds since water temps still seem cool in the lakes I have been fishing however in one pond I did see some fry.
    Abert43, and orfness2000 like this.

2020 LMB Total :130; largest 6# 5oz! Total over 4:14; lifetime largest 9.25
    2020 Crappie Total:75 biggest:1.5#

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Welcome to the club! Darn 11am dentist appointment is inexcusable during the spring run.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Is this Umstead park lake that you are talking about?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TheRodFather View Post
    Is this Umstead park lake that you are talking about?
    Big lake at Umstead
    2020 LMB Total :130; largest 6# 5oz! Total over 4:14; lifetime largest 9.25
    2020 Crappie Total:75 biggest:1.5#

OK, thanks. I took a trip to Umstead and fished as close to the docks as I could get, then walked over the bridge and fished the bank that the long gantry is on. Then continued on the path and fished the far side of the lake until my 5 year old started to complain, about 100 yards from the handicap parking area. No fish though.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements