NC Angler Forums banner

New to fly fishing...

Freshwater 
7K views 59 replies 18 participants last post by  jprime84 
#1 ·
The fly fishing gear at the store has peaked my interest!

I have never tried it before, but I usually take to new types of fishing pretty well. However, I don't know anything about the tackle involved. Is there anything to look for or avoid in a rod/reel for fly fishing?

Basically, what equipment would I want to get for fishing for bream, crappie, and the occasional bass from either the shoreline or a kayak?

#31 ·
From Dick's, I modified the seat a little and it has no play anymore. This will do fine for learning, but I will save the receipt if it falls apart or something.

Right now I am obviously not to the point of tying my own flies. What are some flies that work well in the local waters?

#35 ·
Sorry to hear about the Great Outdoors Provision Co. location in Raleigh. The Durham one does not carry fly fishing equipment. The Chapel Hill location does.

Also, in Raleigh, up Capital Blvd., last I checked, there is an Orvis shop with flies. Can't verify it's still there since I haven't been up that way since late 2007.

But it's in a shopping mall just south of I-540 on Capital.

#36 ·
Poppers are fun and easy. But if you want to catch more fish and want to learn how to discern strikes under the water, you should try some wooly boogers in sizes 6 and 8. Black, brown, olive, white and chartreuse are good bets. I almost always like to get them with a beadhead and that gets them down a little faster. Or, see if they're tied with lead in the body. Weighted flies will always do better than top water. But because you can see the top water flies, you're more likely to get a kick out of a topwater bite and your ability to see what's going on. Once you start using wooly boogers as streamers, you'll need to keep in contact with the fly so you can set your hook. It's a little tougher, but will bring up more fish. And it will prepare you to start dead drift nymphing.

#37 ·
The orvis shop is there. I plan on checking it out after work. Their website looks like they have some good stuff. I have two brown wooly boogers aleady, but I want to add a few other terrestrials. I also have a few poppers, some gnats, and two nymphs.

#40 ·
Oh, and one more thing. For some reason, bream love spiders. Anything with legs, quite frankly, seems to bring them a running. All you have to do is toss them into the shadows where you have some depth and they'll come up and hit 'em hard. If the spider sinks, they'll come get 'em too.

#42 ·
ok, all I can say is heeelllllppp!!

I went out today for the first time after watching the video on how to cast. I tied on a very small size 14 or 16 or something dry fly. And apparently I can only cast about 20 feet. I tried the overhand 10-2 cast: 20ft, roll cast: 20ft, pull more line out: 20ft, pull less line out: 20ft, throw harder:20ft, throw gently:20ft.

Obviously I will go watch the video again, but generally when you change the input you expect the output to change. Also, I lost my fly when a small 2 or 3 inch bream decided to swallow my fly half a second before I ripped it back to cast again, and my tippet snapped.

Ill take any tips you guys have while I go watch the instructional vid again. Is the line supposed to crack like a whip at the extremes?

Also, often when I had more line out, it appeared to make decent loops in the air, but when I tried to present the fly to the water, it all lands more or less in a heap. The video says to stop the cast and then drop, and I tried but I dont have it yet.

At what position during the stroke do you apply the power?

#43 ·
You aren't allowing the rod to load the right way. Don't watch your fly, watch the rod and line, and let the fly land wherever. Once you get the feel for the rod, you can time yourself while watching the fly.

Put a rope around your torso and include your right elbow. This will keep you from the dreaded "chicken wing" that plagues new casters.

Also, slow down. It's not a race.

Ultimately, you need to practice, it will come. Your leader/tippet shouldnt break that easily, maybe a replacement is in order.

FYI, I've caught thousands of fish on a fly rod (no exaggeration) over 21 years, and the majority were 20' or less on the cast.

Have fun and tight lines.

#44 ·
I also don't believe you are letting the rod load on the back cast. The rod has to load before you make the
forward cast. The rod loads and makes it easy to shot the line forward as you make the cast. Then with the rod
pointed at your target the line and fly go
down range....lower the rod tip towards the water and get ready to fish the fly..

Check your tippet a small bream shouldn't break it unless it was a low poundage tippet and a heavy jerk
back to move the line...

<*)))))>{

#46 ·
jPrime...you want to make a short trip to Kinston...Tarheel fly flinger and myself are more that willing to help
you get a little more control of your casting. Might even be a few flies thrown into the till...

TFF has taught me a lot about tying flies and I've only been doing it since about March. I should have started
tying flies years ago..I just would spend my money at the store...if I had known then how much fun
it was to tie a fly,, cast it out and have fish jump all over it..:)

Let us know...I believe either of us can be reached most any time....day of the week...we even have a few places
to go to practice...

<*)))))>{

#48 ·
Thanks for the replies. After watching the video again I do need to focus on keeping my 180 degree plane (no chicken wing or roundhouse strokes)

Also, I was making the mistake of having too much line in the air, instead of loading the rod and casting so that the line pulls its own slack up from the ground. I was trying to cast with too much slack let out. Its hard to describe what I mean.

When practicing, I obviously should not have a fly with a hook on the line. Do you tie anything or just practice unrolling the line?

As far as the tippet, I am not sure. It was a very heavy jerk back, probably harder than necessary. The tippet material I am using is 6lb test Orvis "mirage" material.

#51 ·
Fly Rod...never leave home with out it...:)

Check back in when you return....we'll get something together and get you ready to do some fast and
furious action on the long rod.

Don't worry about a fly on the end of the line....maybe put a small piece of bright ribbon or cotton on the end
of the line...just so you can see where the line is and what its doing...

<*)))))>{

#54 ·
By the way, I did catch a fish. Two acutally. A 2 inch bream and a 3 inch bream! lol Both were caught with the fly in the water at my feet as I pulled out line to cast.
that's funny. glad to hear though that your not discouraged. when i first started, i lost a lot of flies too, just from casting and the snapping of the tippet. short casts are fine until you get a feel of the rod and how it loads the line. keep the false casts down to 1-2 (3 at most), more than that will not help.

here's a good site for cheap flies (fast shipping):
Fly Fishing Flies, Dry Flies, Nymphs, Streamers - Blue Fly Cafe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.