NC Angler Forums banner

New to fly fishing...

Freshwater 
7K views 59 replies 18 participants last post by  jprime84 
#1 ·
The fly fishing gear at the store has peaked my interest!

I have never tried it before, but I usually take to new types of fishing pretty well. However, I don't know anything about the tackle involved. Is there anything to look for or avoid in a rod/reel for fly fishing?

Basically, what equipment would I want to get for fishing for bream, crappie, and the occasional bass from either the shoreline or a kayak?

#55 ·
I went out and practiced today, and I felt like I knew more of what to focus on after watching and reading a lot today and trying it yesterday. I was able to get more distance, almost half of the basketball court I was on.

I tried to think about flinging the line with a sharp, shorter stroke. Also, watched my line to make sure it unrolled completely in front and behind me. I was even able to cast a few times and have it take line out.

I am happy with the improvement, although on a few throws the end of the line came very close to me, even touching me or my rod a few times. I can imagine that is less enjoyable with a hook at the end. Recommendations for that?

#56 ·
I'm sure I missed it in the previous 4 pages of responses (Some good ones, by the way), but if no one suggested it yet , let me be the first.

We hold fly fishing clinics at the NCWRC Pechmann Fishing Education Center in Fayetteville. They are finished for the year but will start up again in January 2010. My guess is that you and a lot of others on this board would benefit - if nothing else you will have the opportunity to catch some trout without having to drive to the mountains. The price is right, $5 and we even furnish coffee and donuts.

For some of you folks who have offered sound advice - How about sharing some of your expertize by becoming one of our volunteer instructors? Contact me by PM if you are interested.

#59 ·
hmmm...wow, this will be hard for me to describe in words, maybe a more experienced or an actual instructor...

it could be that you need to speed up your back cast. assuming you're casting right handed...strip the line to a comfortable distance to begin another cast. slowly pull the line with your left as you lift the line with the rod...as the rod gets to about 10 or 11 o'clock (there should still be line in the water) flick the rod tip to whip the line back more quickly...that should help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.