NC Angler Forums banner

New to fly fishing...

Freshwater 
7K views 59 replies 18 participants last post by  jprime84 
#1 ·
The fly fishing gear at the store has peaked my interest!

I have never tried it before, but I usually take to new types of fishing pretty well. However, I don't know anything about the tackle involved. Is there anything to look for or avoid in a rod/reel for fly fishing?

Basically, what equipment would I want to get for fishing for bream, crappie, and the occasional bass from either the shoreline or a kayak?

#2 ·
Jprime84 - I just got into it as well, we had the meeting and tying last saturday. There were many guys from this site that day, and all were able to answer my questions... Tarheel recommended this rod and reel for me: Okuma SLV7/8 and an Algonquin (sp) rod with a 'fighting butt' ... not sure if this helps, but he's one of the jedi's here when it comes to fly fishing.

#3 ·
I have that SLV 7/8 and love it...aluminum, wide frame, nice big drag control knob....nice balance on my rod..:):)

jPrime...you can go as far as you want to in your wallet on fly fishing...just get a reasonable
rod/reel combination or set that matches....ie 8wt..(weight) rod and reel that match...5 wt, 4 wt, 9wt...
make sure the wt numbers match..

More than likely a 5/6 weight will be great for bream, crappie and small bass that you normallly enounter...
a good 8 wt will be good for red drum, larger bass, stripers and such.

Any good fly shop in your area should be able to help get you set up and ready for the outdoors..

<*)))))>{

#6 ·
i'm not sure if i can provide advice since i still consider myself a noob, but from my experience, if you're thinking about big bass, then you need a bigger wt. rod, like 7 or 8wt. that scott hobbs mentioned. it's easier to cast the larger flies (more in line with the larger bass lures).

get yourself a handful of woolly buggers in different sizes and poppers for topwater. these should last you through the summer.

the big thing is lots of practice and patience. have fun.

#8 ·
The outfit depends what you are fishing for, as your description I would suggest a 7wt rod Nothing lower than a 6wt. The Bass requires a heavier rod. The larger flies is one reason and the other is pulling out a 5 or 6 lbs bass out of cover. A WF floating fly line is a great start. Fshng4Fun is doing well in his casting.Can't wait till he up grades to this fly rod and reel .It's around 99.00. The fly line can cost between 29.00 and 60.00. I have tendacy to to keep it simple ,I like Cortland 333 rocket taper ( fancy words for wf fly line with an attitude) and this line goes for around 30.00.Its made to load fast and make it better cast with heavier bugs.
Now if Gills is your primary target, then a 6wt is the way to go.I keep thinking what happens if that big bucket mouth hits ...would you rather have a 5-6wt or little heavier rod with more backbone. Just to let you know what I take with me ...6wt and 8wt! Another note ,the 8 wt will transfer nicely to saltwater for those fantistic Reds! Multitasking , thats what I like!The reel I like is the Okuma SLV,like Scott said it has a nice drag and will work in salt.The rod is one Yakattack uses, a 9ft 7 wt Dawia Algonquin.Yakattack got a 5 lbs Striper on this rod in Vandemere.Don't let the price fool you ...it is a good rod!You can also find packages at Cabelas like the Three Forks combo. As Scott said you can spend what you want, this set up is one I would have knowing what I know , Please drop me a note,if I can help you more ....Allen

#9 · (Edited)
Whatever you do, don't buy your first fly rod and reel mail order or on the Internet without stopping by a fly shop and testing the rods there. It would be helpful to the shop if you bought there, but you really want to try out the equipment and maybe even take a casting lesson at the shop before you buy. :)

Now, that being said, I think if you could go out with a buddy who fly fishes or hire a guide for a day or 1/2 day, you'd get a better idea of what you're getting into. For my first 10 years of fly fishing, it was like a bad crack addiction. I owned upwards of 15 rods (the wife, now exwife, kept asking me how many fly rods I could fish with at one time).:p I started tying and pretty soon, I forgot what my computer was for except that I used it to order fly tying materials and flies I couldn't master at home.:D I even found some Internet steals for equipment, but I always supported the two or three fly shops that I lived near since they seemed to work off pretty slim margins.;)

If you can get out on a lake or river with a little bit of casting experience, you'll know if you really want to get deep into it. I tell you, for me, it was a revelation that continues to give me joy. I am an instructor, fly fish trout streams, warm water rivers, lakes, saltwater ponds, estuaries and the open ocean. I've slowed down on tying, but only because of a mishap with my equipment.:eek:

Meanwhile, I still try to get out from time to time on my favorite local streams for warm water fish at the drop of a hat.

#10 ·
I bought a fly rod and reel combo on ebay for $27. It was used. It is a trilene 8'6" graphite rod and and pretty descent reel. It has been working great. I've talked to someone who bought a penfishingrod.com rod with a fly reel, he seems to really like it. But the only thing is that you have to buy 00 fishing line which is really expensive. I found a website that has it for $16.

I am thinking about buying one for my son, who has been asking me contiuiously about fly fishing. He's 4 by the way.

#11 ·
jprime84, fly fishing is a whole lot of fun and it can add a lot to your fishing hobby.

You can use it as just another dimension of fishing, or you can get seriously addicted to it as Rocdoctor did. Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I used to fish with my father a lot from our canoe and he'd break out the fly rod and often catch more than me when I was using lures or live bait.:eek:

Just remember that it is difficult to impossible to fly fish from banks, so you will need a boat, or at least some waders, in most cases.

#13 ·
Keep an eye on ebay bad ankles. I got a 4 piece Scientific Angler bass fishing outfit that sells at gander mtn for over $100 bucks for 30 some dollars with shipping included and it was new. Deals can be found especially in the off months.

#16 ·
You don't have to go broke to get a great setup..just take you time and shop around...like Coach D..
plenty on EBAy..at a great price.

I have 2 rods and both are 2 piece..I like the convenience of just 1 union rather than 3 others
I'd have to keep checking during the course of the day. Or risk casting the rest of the rod
downrange...:):)

#17 ·
Having run a fly shop myself, I sincerely feel that the Temple Fork brand is the best brand for beginners with a Ross reel to go along with it. Depending on what you are chasing these guys are right and one rod will only take you so far. While there are many deals on the internet, the BEST thing to do is buy locally because you will begin a relationship where they are more than willing to help out a customer in the future. Both the Temple Fork and the Ross have excellent customer service and great warranty programs and their products are top notch. Another thing to mention is that should fly fishing not work out, you always have good product that can be resold with little hassle. Should you continue, you will also have product that you feel confident with and not worry about upgrading but rather adding to your collection.

As for how many pieces, unless you are hiking in or flying anywhere consistently, there is NO reason for a 4 or 5 piece rod. If you are going to get there by truck and fish local spots, a two piece is the way to go. Less to worry about and put together. I lived in NYC and fished my favorite two piece rod all the time in the Catskills. I have retired the rod because it is an older Sage that no longer has replacement pieces.

I will be more than happy to take you to a shop and show you the ins and outs of fly rods and what to look for if you need help.

#18 ·
A lot of guys will laugh, but I spent $20 for my fly rod and reel. I actually spent more that day on line, tippet, flies and a fly box. lol

I'm sure it's the worst of the worst, but I've caught a few fish on from wild rainbows to bluegills. If you've never done it (fly fishing) you won't know you have a crappy one. Just don't pick up one of the $400 rigs when you're shopping!

#19 ·
KST&BLST is correct. Dollar for dollar, you will be hard pressed to match a ross reel/TF rod. I have also worked in the industry (The Fly Fishing store on LI NY) and that was a setup we always sold to beginners.

That being said, I recently showed a friend how to cast on a Dick's sporting goods Pflueger $40 setup, and for the money, it's fine to get you started. I let him borrow my Winston, and I still outcast him with the Pflueger to prove big money doesn't equal good casting. But I digress....

In the hands of a beginner, a halfway decent casting rod is fine. When you get good, you will be able to find a rod that loads better for your casting style, and then it WILL pay to spend decent money.

(KST&BLST - start fishing that retired rod! My Winston just turned 21, it is my favorite piece of fishing equipment of all time, and if it broke I would be heartbroken, but every time I fish it's like bringing an old friend....)

#20 ·
I agree that price of the rod and reel in the beginning is not nearly as important as many think. As you become more skilled, get more practice, and learn a casting style, it begins to become important. For example, a lot of people think bamboo is the end-all for casting, but I love fast action rods. I've been criticized for this by purists, but I love a rocket even on a mountain trout stream. It just feels good. But I would never have known that had I stuck with conventional wisdom about how wonderful a slow action is. Once you have been casting long enough to know the difference between moderate, slow, fast, and super fast, then you can break out the wallet and get something expensive. Once again, after testing different rods at the local fly shop.

#21 ·
Someone also mentioned that fishing from the bank is tough in fly fishing. Good observation. Your best investment is waders. Try to get breathables with enough room in them to use during the winter with winter clothing. Summer, of course, is upon us, and if you're not sure if you're going to want to do much wader-dressed fishing, there's nothing wrong with doing some wet wading if down here in North Carolina. In fact, I've seen enough people playing in the local river in shorts -- not fishing, mind you, just playing -- that I'm sure a few hours pruning your legs can be done with a fly rod. The reason you want to get out in the water is so that you can have room for your back cast. A boat affords this too.

#25 ·
Not sure who makes the Walmart $29.99 combo. I would tell you to be cautious in that really cheap fly gear will get you on the water, but if it's not properly balanced or so cheaply made that the rod doesn't load properly (something you would learn if you go out with a fly fishing buddy), you'll feel like its a terrible waste of $29.99.

Moreover, make sure you don't get a 5-weight if you're going to throw big bass bugs, 'cause that won't work either. If you can find someone who fly fishes to take with you to look at the $29.99 rod and maybe even get the clerk to show you one out of the packaging, you won't regret it.

Cheap fly equipment can be found, and some good equipment is out there. But you really should know what you're doing or take someone along who knows what he or she is doing before you buy -- especially at a megamart like Walmart where the clerks tend not to know too much about the fishing equipment they're selling.

#26 ·
Some of these "combos " ae not worth 29.99! Rocdoctor has good advice , please get someone knowledgable to go with you. I found H2O some great deals in the Bargin Cave at Cabelas site.150.00 rod for under 70.00 dollars. In Kinston the FTO has rods for 35.00 ...were 70.00.

#27 ·
Well I didnt go out yet, but I bought a setup.

I got a kit from Scientific Anglers. It has a 4 piece 9' graphite rod, 5/6 wt; a Concept 2 model 58 reel with click drag; backing; WF-6-F fly line; tapered leader, a couple flies, and probably most importantly an instructional dvd that I have watched a few times. It convinced me to go outside and practice after work tomorrow before heading to the water. The video was decent. It talks about fly fishing gear, shows knots, casting instructions, fly presentation for bream/lm bass/sm bass/and even northern pike (obviously its a universal dvd, not specific to the setup it comes with) basically any general FAQ you could think of.

Before even trying anything out, biggest complaint is the reel seat does not want to screw on as tight as i want. The reel is not loose, but I can wiggle it some if I try.

I plan on learning with bream and maybe the occasional bass, and if I enjoy it I will invest in a higher quality 8 wt or 9 wt rod for larger bass lures. The kit was $99.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.