Why do I never see boats on Lake Brandt where 220 crosses?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I never see boats on Lake Brandt where 220 crosses?

Default Why do I never see boats on Lake Brandt where 220 crosses?

Either side of 220 looks like bass heaven....heavily wooded shorelines with fields of lilly pads extending 20-50 yards out into the water. But every time I come across 220 there, no one's fishing. Occassionally I'll glance over the dam and see some boats on Lake Higgins but not as much as a kayak on Brandt over there. Is that private property or maybe chained/fenced off so that no one can get there? I mean there even appears to be bank fishing available there and no signage saying no fishing but I've never seen a soul there.

What gives?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This is just my opinion but I have never had good luck at Brandt, Higgins or Townsend for bass. Have caught some decent crappie in Higgins & Brandt but that was 10+plus years ago. Hard lakes to fish. I know there are nice bass in there and people do catch them but those people aren't me. I have talked with a number of other people that fish them and they feel the same way. I know one other thing that hurts it is the hours that they are open. Even in the summer they close quite early. Need to allow night fishing and success would likely improve.

Its REAL shallow up there
    biglenr, and Chris52 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Also for at least two or three years you haven't been allowed to get past the walking bridge at the Greenway. You can see from Google maps they have a floating barrier to prevent any water craft from getting back there. You're right though, it is fish heaven back there, even though it does get super shallow in places, kayaks float in mere inches.
    biglenr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by horsehead View Post
    Also for at least two or three years you haven't been allowed to get past the walking bridge at the Greenway. You can see from Google maps they have a floating barrier to prevent any water craft from getting back there. You're right though, it is fish heaven back there, even though it does get super shallow in places, kayaks float in mere inches.

That makes complete sense why I see no kayaks or jonboats over there. But dang we're in NC you'd figure some good ol boys woulda launched a kayak from the shoreline somewhere by now

I did some research after posting this and the park website does say that shoreline fishing in nondesignated places is off limits so that explains why I never see anyone fishing from shore despite no posted signs.

Sure is a fishy looking place, especially in the evenings.

I have hunted and fished the city lakes since the 70's. Ever since urban sprawl started creeping north from Greensboro,the city lakes have become more restrictive. I remember when you could duck hunt all of the lakes and there were NO restricted areas. Brant used to be a really good duck hunting lake. My Dad and I killed hundred if not thousands of ducks there. The fishing used to be off the chain too. Yuppies started moving out there and things went to h*ll...Sigh
    I have fished up the upper section near 220, in the past,and I never really caught anything up there except for small bluegills

There are some nice fish there. I caught a couple 6+ and a 7.4 in there 2 weeks ago.

I know this is a geriatrically old post, but for new folks to the area or to this forum gathering intel and wondering about the lake on either side of 220 being untouched, it's basically a flooded field. You could walk across it one side to the other and not even get your belt wet. We took our jon boat under the walking bridge and it's about 3-4 feet for maybe 30 yards then there is no channel, it's just a wide open flooded field that looks deceptively like a really fishy place. We searched it thinking surely a little channel will carry us towards Battleground, but no. Don't waste your time on the banks in that section, you'd just be fishing a giant mud hole. Not even the yakkers like it it's so skinny. During a draw down or a summer drought, you can see what I mean. It dries up.
    Chris52 likes this.

Very interesting thanks! I was the original poster, I had just found Higgins and Brandt at the time and was really wondering what was around those lilly pads

I did see a bass boat some how in the smaller side (on the right side of 220)...I have no clue how he got in there.

I fished that side about 3 years ago while they were doing construction around the area. Caught my biggest bass on that lake about 3.5 pounds. Fishing a spinnerbait with a salt n pepper skirt. I was up near the rock wall near 220 at the mouth of the small canal. Pre spawn fish with others her size chasing as well. That's the only major action ive seen out of that lake and ive fished it for years. Spoke to a lady who works the fisheries here asking why is the fishing so bad .No big tournaments or fishing pressure other than the locals. Well come to find out they do not stock the lakes and havent for years. So when you get a jewel like randleman that's been abused you get brandt in the end. I will say I saw a guy back in March bring in a 7pd female at Brandt so they are there just not in abundance. My time and energy is spent on Townsend these days. Way better fishing overall.

There are still big bass in Brandt. Here’s a decent one from last week. It is a tough lake but there are definitely nice fish in it.

That side off of 220 is still currently blocked by a floating barrier as was mentioned earlier. In a small boat I think you can mash it down and float over it.

I like all the city lakes except when they’re real muddy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	890BA1DE-8312-446E-A473-6D9B63235951_1588469686141.jpg‎†
Views:	72†
Size:	25.8 KB†
ID:	197517
    "Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."

The problems with these areas are that itís usually not accessible. And, if it was accessible, it gets very very shallow in these places....I fished near this area and there was only a small channel in which the water was deeper that two feet. I went looking for carp and they were present, but the water was way to skimpy and awful muddy the day I went. I cross over a certain bridge on 220...probably the same one...and, there is one tree just sitting in the middle of the water.....I want to get to it...just one time....cause, if I were a bass.....I would live near that tree...they have no good parking in these areas and itís a pay lake which makes it tricky to just drop the kayak and go...but, it is tempting if there were just another couple feet or water...fish on....

After lakes are established its rare that they are stocked with normal species.

It kills me b/c I live on Belews and you won't find the first lilly pad on Belews Lake.....The lilly pad fields in that area look so much more like traditional "southern" bass fishing. All the clear deep water fishing at Belews gets old after a while and this area in question is near my house. Soooo tempted to drop the kayak in like others have said lol

Quote Originally Posted by PontoonMike View Post
    It kills me b/c I live on Belews and you won't find the first lilly pad on Belews Lake.....The lilly pad fields in that area look so much more like traditional "southern" bass fishing. All the clear deep water fishing at Belews gets old after a while and this area in question is near my house. Soooo tempted to drop the kayak in like others have said lol
    Going north... The left side of 220 is Higgins lake, and the lily pads there are quite accessible by kayak from Lake Higgens Marina. Rather than risk a ticket, pay the $5 or so to launch and enjoy Higgens.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast