Finally

Thread: Finally

Default Finally

Newbie to bass fishing here. Still trying to figure things out. I've caught a few decent sized LMB but nothing to brag about. And the last few times out I've come up empty handed (from the kayak) so I've been super frustrated. Last night after dinner I went over to my local pond and threw my whopper plopper for a while but nothing was biting. I know it was hot yesterday and water temp is getting up there so I thought maybe topwater wasn't the way to go, and the bass might be deeper, so I started throwing my deep diving crankbait. Wasn't catching anything with that either, so I started changing up my retrieve speeds. Then FINALLY I hooked this fatty, my PB. Man, he was huge. Probably 8 pounds. (Of course I left my scale and ruler in the kayak!) By far the biggest bass I've ever caught. What an adrenaline rush! Left the pond with a huge smile on my face. Loving this bass fishing stuff!! I am HOOKED Excuse the goofy pic. My hands were shaking so much I'm not sure how I was able to even take this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	35553315_10216969409730628_5311964810949165056_o.jpg‎
Views:	2654
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	190311

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That’s a horse. Congrats.
    ~JOE~
    JM76 likes this.

Solo Dei Gloria

Thanks man! Was my logic correct? Hotter the weather + higher water temps, fish are deeper??
    dbeam likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice. Where in NC?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhk76 View Post
    Nice. Where in NC?
    Thanks! I'm just south of Raleigh.
    BrandonK, and dbeam like this.

very nice bass, congrats
    JM76 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JM76 View Post
    Thanks man! Was my logic correct? Hotter the weather + higher water temps, fish are deeper??
    That is not always the case. There can still be good fish to be had shallow too, especially as the water temps get really high in the upper 80s or 90s.
    dbeam, and Fish_Fiend like this.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Gotcha. I've read that in the morning and evening they come shallow to feed, and in the afternoon they stay deep or look for grass

Quote Originally Posted by Neilslure View Post
    That is not always the case. There can still be good fish to be had shallow too, especially as the water temps get really high in the upper 80s or 90s.

Gotcha. I've read that in the morning and evening they come shallow to feed, and in the afternoon they stay deep or look for grass
    Topwater early morn8ng and late night rest of day slow moving worms or deepe diving cranks. But than again Monday I picked up a 5# on a worm at 3PM in a small pond popping worm off a log close to the bank
    JM76 likes this.

2020 LMB Total :130; largest 6# 5oz! Total over 4:14; lifetime largest 9.25
    2020 Crappie Total:75 biggest:1.5#

Blog Entries

To this point, there will be bass shallow all day, even in summer.

As the water temp rises, the warmer water will sink actually making the shallower water cooler than the mid depth waters. This will keep bass shallow in some situations. Dingy water, docks and some kind of available cover help this happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dbeam, Fish_Fiend, and JM76 like this.

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

Newbie to bass fishing here. Still trying to figure things out. I've caught a few decent sized LMB but nothing to brag about. And the last few times out I've come up empty handed (from the kayak) so I've been super frustrated. Last night after dinner I went over to my local pond and threw my whopper plopper for a while but nothing was biting. I know it was hot yesterday and water temp is getting up there so I thought maybe topwater wasn't the way to go, and the bass might be deeper, so I started throwing my deep diving crankbait. Wasn't catching anything with that either, so I started changing up my retrieve speeds. Then FINALLY I hooked this fatty, my PB. Man, he was huge. Probably 8 pounds. (Of course I left my scale and ruler in the kayak!) By far the biggest bass I've ever caught. What an adrenaline rush! Left the pond with a huge smile on my face. Loving this bass fishing stuff!! I am HOOKED Excuse the goofy pic. My hands were shaking so much I'm not sure how I was able to even take this
    You can never out crank a fish. You did exactly what's needed on a crank bait. Throw it as far and wide as possibly and vary the retrieve. There's no one retrieve on a crank bait. If you can still hold your arm up you weren't fishing hard enough.

That's going to be hard to top and 8lbs is pretty close to spot on. Keep using it when the old popper fails. Bass are post spawn and I'm finding them 5 to 25 feet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    JM76 likes this.

Thanks! I'm just south of Raleigh.
    Hmm well I dunno how far south you are but I may have a couple spots that are relatively close to me in Willow Springs if youre interested. Im also fishing from bank and kayak
    JM76 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonK View Post
    Hmm well I dunno how far south you are but I may have a couple spots that are relatively close to me in Willow Springs if you’re interested. I’m also fishing from bank and kayak
    Crazy, I'm in Willow Spring, near Old Stage Rd. Been fishing a ton at Johnson's Pond in Fuquay, from both the bank and kayak. Definitely interested in some more spots close by!
    BrandonK likes this.

That first 8 pounder is amazing! Looks like a different animal, love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    JM76 likes this.

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements