NC Angler Forums banner

Finally

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  BillinDurham 
#1 ·
Newbie to bass fishing here. Still trying to figure things out. I've caught a few decent sized LMB but nothing to brag about. And the last few times out I've come up empty handed (from the kayak) so I've been super frustrated. Last night after dinner I went over to my local pond and threw my whopper plopper for a while but nothing was biting. I know it was hot yesterday and water temp is getting up there so I thought maybe topwater wasn't the way to go, and the bass might be deeper, so I started throwing my deep diving crankbait. Wasn't catching anything with that either, so I started changing up my retrieve speeds. Then FINALLY I hooked this fatty, my PB. Man, he was huge. Probably 8 pounds. (Of course I left my scale and ruler in the kayak!) By far the biggest bass I've ever caught. What an adrenaline rush! Left the pond with a huge smile on my face. Loving this bass fishing stuff!! I am HOOKED ;):D Excuse the goofy pic. My hands were shaking so much I'm not sure how I was able to even take this

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
You can never out crank a fish. You did exactly what's needed on a crank bait. Throw it as far and wide as possibly and vary the retrieve. There's no one retrieve on a crank bait. If you can still hold your arm up you weren't fishing hard enough.

That's going to be hard to top and 8lbs is pretty close to spot on. Keep using it when the old popper fails. Bass are post spawn and I'm finding them 5 to 25 feet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.