Any God/Fishing Stories?

Thread: Any God/Fishing Stories?

Default Any God/Fishing Stories?

Just recently remembered an event that has stuck with me for years. One time I went to a little pond with my kids to fish. This is a little dinky pond in the middle of a town park, full of geese poop and algae. Gets fished to death, literally. We fished for about an hour, didn't catch anything. We had walked around the pond fishing every square inch with various baits hoping for at least a small bream. Nothing.

So we're sitting there now after an hour with some bobbers and worms floating. I was staring out the clouds, knowing this was a waste of time but kids were having fun "fishing" but really they were spending more time chasing tadpoles and ducks. I see a family heading to the pond and one of them is a young person in an electric wheel chair, obviously handicapped their whole young life. They setup about 20 yards away from where we are fishing.

So it takes a while for them to setup because of the wheelchair. Finally the young person in that wheel chair throws out their bait. Not 30 seconds later that person in the wheel chair has a really good fish on their line, after a good fight, reels in a solid fish. It's been years and my memory is hazy but I think it was a really nice crappie. For this size pond, might be the biggest fish in the entire pond.

I was shocked, dumbfounded, couldn't believe it. I had literally finished beating the entire pond to death with everything I had with nothing to show. Took them all of two minutes to reel in a nice fish.

I was so happy for that person to catch that fish. If you had asked me to put $50 on that group not catching any fish I would have happily taken that bet. I wasn't a man of faith back then but looking back on that event, I know what happened that day.

For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? (Matthew 16:26)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Blog Entries

I try not to resort to praying for a fish when fishing. But there have been a lot of "God moments" on the water when the overwhelming beauty of a sunrise, sunset, cloud formation, storm, etc. remind me of what an awesome God created the heavens and the earth. He has revealed Himself to us through creation and through His son Jesus Christ.

AMEN to this. Over the years due to several moves I stopped going to church. I went my whole life as a kid and once I started moving for work, I just never got into a church.

So sometimes I'll feel guilty about that, as the bible says we should worship together to "refill our cups"....but man, I feel closer to God on the water and in nature than anywhere else.

This is a funny old saying I've heard a bunch of times over the years that my dad first shared with me: "Better to be sitting in the boat thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about sitting in the boat"
    Chris52 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This is a funny old saying I've heard a bunch of times over the years that my dad first shared with me: "Better to be sitting in the boat thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about sitting in the boat"

Love it. Do both frequently.
    P-nut

Lord, grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking of it afterwards, may have no need to lie.
    I follow my own Blog
    Man can build a lake, but only God can make a river

That's a great story. I often ask for God's help when fishing and when He allows me to pull one in I always try to thank Him.
    I do have one thought/question...
    I few weeks ago I had an awesome day of fishing and it occurred to me that this must be what fishing in Heaven is like. But then I thought about how many slow days I've had in order to really appreciate that great day. So what do y'all think it'll be like?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Blog Entries

As the song says, "I can only imagine."
    wingnut likes this.

I have never been the church going quote the bible kind of guy but surely know the lord is always looking out for me. I got 2 fishing related stories that happened just a week or two apart.

In 2016 I fished the FLW Tour event at Lake Hartwell as a co-angler. My first day draw was Mark Rose, he is all about spreading the word and even holds church services for the tour anglers early on the Sunday practice day and following the pretournament meeting on Wednesday afternoon. Initial plan was he was going to launch at a different ramp and pick me up at the dock so I waited for him there. He then called me and said he decided to launch where the tournament was going out of so I watched for the Walmart boat in line and went and threw my gear in and got in his truck to back him down the ramp. I dump the boat off and go way up a big hill, park the truck and get out and start walking, parking guy asked me to pull up a little more so I go back and move up a bit. About that time a golf cart comes to carry a few co-anglers back down to the dock. I jump on and ride back down and get in the boat. We chit chat for a while and Mark decides he needs to make a run to the restroom before they tournament starts. About that time I remember his truck keys, check my pockets and all, they are nowhere to be found, ah crap I lost the mans keys, thinking I may have locked them in the truck or lost them on the golf cart ride. I decide I wont say anything so I dont mess with his head and let him focus on fishing. He comes back right before blast off and asks me to join him in a quick prayer and off we go. Those keys were on my mind all day, and it was a long day, think we were due in at 4:30. We come back to the weigh in at the end of the day and I ask if he wants me to get his trailer... he reaches in the center console of the boat and pulls out the keys. I dont remember ever giving them back to him and worried about it all day... lord was watching out for me and put those lost keys in the boat.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

The other happened a week or two after my mishap with the keys. The company I had been with 9 years had got bought out and not long after word started spreading that the millwork shop in RTP I was working in was shutting down being that the new owners already had a facility in Hillsborough. We knew several months in advance that it was going to happen but didn't have a definite timeline or dates. I thought long and hard during that time about what to do unsure of what I needed to do for me, based on what I had heard about that other facility, having worked for one of the managers there before and the fact it would be a terrible commute I was leaning hard towards getting out and going to work elsewhere. Good Friday reality really hit me hard. I got called into the GMs office and they told me what the deal was going forward, most of the guys got word that day they were to start in Hillsborough Monday but as the shop lead I would be there a few more weeks to tie up loose ends finishing the last few orders, packing up machinery and inventory.

That weekend I went to Kerr Lake to practice for a BFL the following weekend. Saturday a buddy fished with me and that kept my mind occupied and off of work. Sunday was Easter, it was a nasty rainy day and I was pretty much out there all alone and my mind was really thinking about my future and what was going to happen in the next few weeks. I just happened to pull up to an area by the chapel of the old abandoned boy scout camp and stared at the old wooden cross and empty pews. I dont know if I went about it the "right way" but I stood there on the front deck of my boat in the pouring rain, looked at that cross and asked the lord to help me through this tough time I was facing. The lord answered and took care of me, everything ended up falling into place perfectly over the next few weeks. I went on to have a perfect tournament the next weekend and finish 3rd about 1.5lbs away from the win, reached out to a past coworker who put in a good word for me with another company and a good job I had really never considered doing landed in my lap and never looked back.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	easter.jpg‎
Views:	136
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	191259
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilslure View Post
    I dont know if I went about it the "right way" but I stood there on the front deck of my boat in the pouring rain, looked at that cross and asked the lord to help me through this tough time I was facing.

I'd say you did it perfectly! Not sure I could imagine a better way to lift your prayers up to Him

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've never been hungry enough to pray to catch a fish and I fish for fun. I have asked for success on behalf of those around me who I know were fishing for food. For me, fishing is a time to be away from the busy-ness of the world and to focus on the beauty of G.d's creation. I can't say that I have had any miracle moments while fishing but can say that I have been taught ... and have learned ... some lessons about nature and the Creator who made it all.

While not exactly the story of being in a boat thinking about G.d is better than being in church thinking about fishing, I do have a story about a Sunday morning on the lake. One Sunday, our preacher was making the point that you can worship G.d without the trappings of a formal church setting. The next Sunday, I took my kayak out to B. Everett Jordan and went for a nice long paddle while dragging bait behind me. All in all, it was a worshipful experience as I watched fish tipping up to suck in bugs and the occasional bald eagle swooping down to catch a fish.

The next Sunday, the preacher said that he had missed me in church and asked if I was OK and I told him that I had taken his advice and had worshiped outside "the trappings of church". He laughed and said that he wished he could have been with me.
    Today we get another trip around the circle.
    Let's make it better than the last.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements