Inshore Rain
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rain

Default Rain

So when you get a bunch of rain where do you fish? I was planning on heading to oak island for a day trip, but wonder if itís worth it. Does all the run off change the salinity and make the fish move? Do you fish closer to the inlets near the open water? I normally kayak fish from blue water marina to Lockwood inlet and back. Pretty close to the ocean. Do the fish even care?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kdig67 View Post
    So when you get a bunch of rain where do you fish? I was planning on heading to oak island for a day trip, but wonder if it’s worth it. Does all the run off change the salinity and make the fish move? Do you fish closer to the inlets near the open water? I normally kayak fish from blue water marina to Lockwood inlet and back. Pretty close to the ocean. Do the fish even care?

Great question. I have the same question. I fished the Neuse this weekend and it was absolutely dreadful, nothing hitting. I have had great success in the past, but it certainly appears the fish have moved because of the rain.

Yeah I don't know. I fish slocum a lot and it seems the fish just haven't showed up since the water warmed up, and with all the rain water to boot. Maybe the fall will be better.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I was at Sunset Harbor last week, (behind Oak Island). Water was almost red from all the rain. I didn't catch anything, and I didn't see anyone else catch either.
    AKA: Soilman

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Water View Post
    I was at Sunset Harbor last week, (behind Oak Island). Water was almost red from all the rain. I didn't catch anything, and I didn't see anyone else catch either.
    I dont have much experience with North Carolina, but I have experience on the Mayaka River in Florida... when it rains a lot, no point in fishing. The salinity changes, the fish are gone. Sounds like the case here.

I fish the lower pamlico and if you can go further east toward the sound you can find them.

All of the freshwater will usually run them into the channel, then to the mouth of the creek, river, or even into the ICW because of the low salinity. I normally will head closer to the inlet or fish the surf.

Thinking about fishing around Oriental and hoping to get into old drum this weekend. Is salinity even an issue that far down river?

Thanks for all the responses. I put off the trip until things get settled. Of course it seems to just keep raining here in the piedmont.

Record breaking rain in Wilmington. Crazy numbers.

A total of 38.66 inches has fallen from May 1 through July 30, which is a record, the NWS said. In May alone, 14.36 inches fell, shattering the old record of 9.12 inches set in 1956, according to the NWS.

July has been worse: The last day with no rainfall recorded was July 19 and 15.89 inches had fallen through Monday, with rain continuing to add to that total Tuesday. The record for July is 21.12 inches, set in 1886, according to the NWS.

Wilmington is likely to pass its average annual rainfall with five months to go in the year. Those months include the traditionally wet months of August and September, which are the height of the hurricane season and usually get the most rain -- each month averages more than 7 inches of rainfall, according to the NWS.

Crazy rain this year so far. I'm really scared if we don't get a month to dry out and a tropical system hits us. I believe we'll see more fallen trees than ever before and some pretty historic floods.
    GreyGhost likes this.

Default Rain on Oak Island

So when you get a bunch of rain where do you fish? I was planning on heading to oak island for a day trip, but wonder if itís worth it. Does all the run off change the salinity and make the fish move? Do you fish closer to the inlets near the open water? I normally kayak fish from blue water marina to Lockwood inlet and back. Pretty close to the ocean. Do the fish even care?

I live on Oak Island and we and we had 3.5Ē of rain just today. The water is muddy but not quite thick enough to plow. As you know, we get a lot of the water from the Cape Fear River so the LF Inlet takes a while to clear up. The fishing has been slow but being on the water beats about anything else. Since it is Friday, you may be here already or have decided to stay home.
    The rain does influence the salinity and we have had a lot recently. Wilmington is way above the normal amount of rain- well over 50Ē for the year. But as of earlier this week, they were still catching some Spanish around the inlets. The water temperature is up and even Kings have come in close.
    Hope this helps.
    Whitefish
    Oak Island, NC
    GreyGhost, and kdig67 like this.

My understanding is... Baitfish need the salinity and aren’t as adaptable as larger fish. The larger fish follow the food unless they are spawning in estuaries. Ex. Several years ago we had a drought. Inland waters were very salient. Lots of baitfish and lots of larger fish eating in close. This coincided with the annual norther migration of sharks and thus they were in close feeding too. That summer was the perfect storm for three reasons. Very salty inshore waters, lots of bait, and shark migration right on the coast of NC. That’s why we had so many shark issues that year. Love to hear from more biologists about these conditions.
    Brian Mendenhall | Mad River Synergy | Ascend FS128T | Carolina Skiff 16'

Default Fishing after heavy rains....

I got to interview one of the Chief Fisheries Biologists for my fishing book- RED FISH on a FLY...he stated that in the almost thirty years of research/work that he had studied after heavy tropical storms and hurricanes noted that "the loss of oxygen in the waters impacted through run-off of deterious material due by storm water or rain water drainage through creeks or streams or rivers flowing and impacting into bays and along the ICW-- resulted in sportsfish moving far out of their traditional inshore areas towards a migration of all sporting fish species....towards inlets --- where oxygen was at better livable levels due to the tidal flows bringing in fresh oxygen and saltinity levels for all sports fish.

Fish need oxygen levels condusive to live and feed and he found them closer to bigger and deeper INLETS.

bmac, ice cream man, and kdig67 like this.

I heard Dr. Bogus on the radio this morning report that two catfish were caught off Bogue Inlet Pier this weekend. (Not saltwater catfish like they have in the Gulf).

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast