Inshore Old Drum Attempt

Thread: Old Drum Attempt

Default Old Drum Attempt

Went down to the Oriental area to try my hand at popping cork fishing for old drum for the first time this past Friday. I got an early start with only one boat fishing the same area initially, but through the course of the next three hours, five or six came and left. I fished the area hard with no luck. I was on the lookout for bait but saw very little - never saw any serious assaults on bait. I also didn't see anyone else catching. I was using a "standard" DOA popping cork rig with air heads. Just curious if anyone else had any luck?
    brooksemerson4 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I fished out of Oriental last Friday as well. I try to always look for bait before I stop and start working an area. I have side scan and it works well finding bait a couple feet below the surface. I figured Friday would be a great day to find bait with very little wind but I had the same luck as you. I did head toward the sound since we have had so much rain lately. Not sure if that was a mistake or not. I moved several times and finally found some bait close to the mouth of Bay River but did not find any drum in the area. We did manage to hook one earlier in the morning but we were just working an area we had caught fish in the last couple of years. There was no bait activity or slicks in that area and it was the only fish we hooked up with.

Thanks, lbg3. I also thought that maybe all the fresh water affected things.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements