Alaska fishing

Thread: Alaska fishing

Default Alaska fishing

This seems like the summer to go to Alaska for quite a few of my customers...some just sightseeing but most are fishing in several different lodges or float trips.. a wide variety of experiences and expenses....

Several of us just returned from 4 days of fishing in the Kenai area. It was an excellent trip for Sockeye and Silver Salmon, trout and grayling (Russian River, Kenai River and an alpine lake) A few pics are on the store facebook page. We stayed at Drifters Lodge in Cooper Landing on the Kenai and would recommend them without reservation. Check out their site and facebook page. Everyone was super friendly and accomodating; the guides were excellent and very knowledgeable. Drifters is a great option to consider if you are thinking about a trip to Alaska. One of the best considerations at Drifters (and perhaps others) is that you are not isolated in a wilderness setting but have a number of options (fishing, rafting, hiking etc0 available to you if the weather turns sour.
    biglenr likes this.

Richard
    CarolinaMountainSports.com
    Statesville, NC 704 871-1444

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My daughter Emily graduates in 2 years and I told her I'd take her to do whatever she wants to do . . . she picked Halibut fishing in Alaska!!! We are getting ready to start planning in the near future and can't wait to go. We are not "travelers", although we have been to Virginia, South Carolina, and Tennessee LOL, so it will definitely be a different experience that we are looking forward to.
    Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

Sounds like a good plan....and I don't think you can start researching options too soon...

We saw several folks that had been halibut fishing and they had several boxes of frozen fish.... Of course, one good halibut can fill several boxes!

We opted not to go for halibut this trip...but one of the guys says he want to do it next year. Hmmm...sounds like we are already planning.

I have a customer who goes every year...this summer twice. He has already booked his flight for next summer. He rents a car in Anchorage and then rents a small cabin in Cooper Landing two hours south on the Kenai (spectacular drive from Anchorage to the Kenai) ...and makes that the base for his fishing...whether on his own or by booking a guide for a day or two. From there it an hour or two, I think, to get to some popular halibut areas....
    Richard

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yeah, I'm kinda nervous about trying to get it all together, but will be asking for advice as we get closer to it.
    Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

I can understand a tad of anxiety.

Check out the web site for Drifters Lodge and their facebook page, and the packages they offer. They will pick you up at the airport, transport you to where ever you want to go; provide all the gear; pay for your meals; pack your lunch; arrange any type of fishing you want....makes the planning a breeze....very nice! and much less money than some of the more exclusive lodges.
    Richard

That looks more inland than we'd want to be for Halibut unless I'm looking at it wrong. I ran into a guy I went to high school with almost 30 years ago who now lives in Alaska. I believe he is in Anchorage, but he suggested we fly in as close as possible and then take a plane over to Gustavus and fish out of there for Halibut. He talked like there was better Halibut fishing in some other areas, but we would be more susceptible to weather whereas the Gustavus area was a little more protected. I have a couple contacts I will be picking the brains of, and will also be asking here once I get serious.
    Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

Just read their section on "ocean fishing" and will definitely be keeping them in mind.
    Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements