NC Angler Forums banner

Drum - persistence pays off

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BRITGUY 
#1 ·

Have made a few evening trips to the Adams Creek vicinity in the last couple of weeks coming up short. Plenty of Blue Fish and bait around - but no action on Drum.

Sunday morning Britgirl and I were split between heading to the salt or going out to nearer to home. Decided to try for a Drum again as we had a couple dozen fresh finger mullet that I had netted on Saturday at the cape. Late start putting in around 9am and we were on the anchor by 9.45. It was very calm to start and I had set up two poles with the cut bait and tried to sibiki some more bait. There were some signs of life around us, very small glass minnows and birds diving on them. Not much action on the sibiki and the soaking bait was doing just that - soaking.

First good strike came around 30 minutes which was a skate. Ok - not what we want but at least we had a bend in a pole. Refresh all the baits, sit back and relax, put on some music, have a coffee. Just nice to be out here not getting pounded by the wind......................BIG swirl about 10 yards off the stern. Could have been a Drum busting, grabbed the pole set with popping cork and airhead. Threw it out just behind the swirl and popped it one time. Fish hit it like a freight train and immediately took 50 yards of line - OMG this is going to be fun!!!! Heart pounding, Helen doing her best to get the poles in and keeping out of my way. Think we are going to be here a while. Long story short this fish fought like nothing I have ever known, must have taken at least 8 runs and every time I thought she was done she found another gear and took off again. Finally she came and gave up. Quick pics and back in the water. Swam off to go make more just like her. We had two more hits on the cut bait but failed to hook up. Britgirl will be wrangling with the next one - look forward to posting a pic of her in the near future.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats & nice work. Persistence pays off, but so does 5 days of steady N / NE winds that blew some salt water up the Neuse. I think it's going to go off like a firecracker this week. First mullet blow of the year had the anchovies and mullet pouring out the inlets over the weekend. Fished off CLO on Sat afternoon. Acres of Spanish Macks and Bluefish were up on the shoals chowing down. Saw some schools of False Albies but couldn't get a fly in front of 'em in time before they took off.

#3 ·
Yes I think you are right - the weather is finally co-operating and getting more like it should be. I was at Cape Lookout on Saturday and there was plenty of bait all over the place. Did not fish as we were taking some friends out to chill. We ran back to Beaufort inlet on the outside. Boats all over the place and the water was perfect, love this time of year!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.