RED X Dr H fishes NYC waters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr H fishes NYC waters

Default Dr H fishes NYC waters

I had to go see my aging Uncle in New York this week. I managed a day of fishing with the popular Cousin David. The water supply for New York City stretches 150 miles upstate. It was built in the early 1900's and the entire system is gravity fed. A series of huge reservoirs (NYC uses 1.5 Billion Gallons a day) are connected by small streams that are fed by the water at the bottom of the reservoirs via dams. What you get is pristine cold water that is in the high fifties even during summer. These streams flow about 2 miles and dump into the next reservoir in line. Starting in mid September a few wild browns from the reservoir will come up these artificial only streams. The streams hold typical small browns year round. My 84 year old Uncle loves trout and I am the only semi accomplished fisherman in the family. The pressure was on. After meeting a couple of fisherman who had no luck at the parking pull off we headed downstream and fished our way back, catching small browns on Panther Martin and Rooster Tail spinners. I was teaching David basic small stream tactics...low profile, slow quiet movement, holding areas and the need for accurate first casts etc. He had a blast and did well. But no keepers for my Uncle. Found a pothole pool in fast water. It was about 3 feet by 3 feet with small rapids on each side. This 18" buck brown hammered my white rooster tail. I had to run up to the pool to keep him from getting into the Rock filled rapids between me and him. Had no net but I managed to belly lift him. Mission accomplished!

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Blog Entries

Great trip! Great report!
    h2ohhh likes this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Blog Entries

Congrats on the Blog Award!
    GreyGhost, and h2ohhh like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Never ever did I ever think I'd see a NY trout on this site, I didn't even realize they were a thing.. But looks like a good time. Where in NY where you guys? And tell Uncle Dave we say hi
    GreyGhost, and h2ohhh like this.

Red X Angler... I am but a padawan.
    Old Town Predator 13

Quote Originally Posted by Daze823 View Post
    Never ever did I ever think I'd see a NY trout on this site, I didn't even realize they were a thing.. But looks like a good time. Where in NY where you guys? And tell Uncle Dave we say hi
    New York is renowned for it's trout streams. The Delaware, The Ausable, Beaverkill and many others. This fish lived 25 miles north of New York City in Westchester County. Those streams are known to locals only and serious flyfishermen who live in the city (few own cars in NYC but they can take a train and get into some of these from the train station). I grew up fishing them. This one is called Amawalk Outlet.

Daze823 likes this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

I have been anxiously waiting for this post. I heard from Darrell you were Trout fishing home water and knew the fish pics would be awesome. Love the pic of Dave holding up his catch, his expression is priceless.
    Daze823, and h2ohhh like this.

Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

What do you think Donnie, a road trip to the land of big trout and Yankees galore to use some southern slang on.
    Daze823 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    What do you think Donnie, a road trip to the land of big trout and Yankees galore to use some southern slang on.
    I'd guide you guys. However driving on narrow ancient parkways in NY is a death defying feat. I ran the Taconic all week. Speed limit 55, no trucks allowed, frigging Yankees run 70-80 on it.

https://patch.com/new-york/pleasantv...-road-new-york

Daze823, and GreyGhost like this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Quote Originally Posted by h2ohhh View Post
    I'd guide you guys. However driving on narrow ancient parkways in NY is a death defying feat.

When you retire from work we should try to make this happen and work it out that cousin Dave can join in. I think there is a gent over in hickory who would join in on some big trout action also.
    Daze823 likes this.

Cousin David lives in an awesome condo on the Hudson. When he raised his garage door to get his fishing gear this was wedged in there. He never drives it, battery is dead.

GreyGhost likes this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

Great Fish!!

Darrell
    Daze823, GreyGhost, and h2ohhh like this.

Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by h2ohhh View Post
    New York is renowned for it's trout streams. The Delaware, The Ausable, Beaverkill and many others. This fish lived 25 miles north of New York City in Westchester County. Those streams are known to locals only and serious flyfishermen who live in the city (few own cars in NYC but they can take a train and get into some of these from the train station). I grew up fishing them. This one is called Amawalk Outlet.

Ted, John and Cousin Dave, I'd be up for this trip any time it's offered as an opportunity.. I've seen the "sights of NYC", but I'd love to get to see what NY really has to offer.
    dbeam, and GreyGhost like this.

Red X Angler... I am but a padawan.
    Old Town Predator 13

Ted, John and Unky Dave, I'd be up for this trip any time it's offered as an opportunity.. I've seen the "sights of NYC", but I'd love to get to see what NY really has to offer.
    I stay out of the City unless I'm going to Yankee Stadium...and that's in the Bronx, not in the Manhattan zoo. Upstate New York is drop dead gorgeous.

dbeam, and GreyGhost like this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club

To live in Upstate NY in the summer and South Louisiana in the winter would be perfect.

Darrell
    GreyGhost, h2ohhh, and hellomcfly2 like this.

Red X Angler

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

I spent a lot years driving a semi into Hunts point market, meat market lower Manhattan and the Bronx in the middle of the night. I don’t care if I ever go back to these fascinating places again. But I do miss the food that the city has to offer especially a slice of pizza in Brooklyn dripping with goodness.
    dbeam likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast