NC Angler Forums banner

What is this fish?

6K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  mindcrime 
#1 ·
Can't identify it. Don't know my freshwater species well. Looks a spot minus the spots.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
I still vote for smallmouth, Jaw seems to go to about even with eye but not beyond, also dorsal fin does not seem to have a complete break between first and second half as is characteristic for LM. i agree it does seem to have more of the color of the LM but as we all know that is in part determined by environment. Interesting thread.

#19 ·
Here's some more education, lol. Originally, this fish that we have here now (non native to NC) was called the Alabama spotted bass. Genetic testing proved it is an entirely different species however, known as the Alabama bass.
Totally different species from the spotted bass. It's no more a spotted bass than a largemouth is a smallmouth.
To make matters even more confusing, those same tests showed the Florida strain of the largemouth is now an entirely different fish as well, no longer lumped in with the largemouth. Now just known as the ​Florida bass.

#21 ·
Great information Jerry! Thank you! I thought a largemouth was a largemouth, was a largemouth. I have caught a few of the Southern Florida Largemouth but never had any Idea they were different than the Eastern NC Largemouth. Any day you learn something new is a good day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.