Guided Gillnet Trip for Speckle Trout

Thread: Guided Gillnet Trip for Speckle Trout

Default Guided Gillnet Trip for Speckle Trout

Is this legal? If it is, would the SCFL holder also have to have a Dealer's license to let a paying customer retain fish?

http://www.ncwaterman.com/forum/foru...-gillnet-trips

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler

Only in NC...
    SMH.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Looks like Louisiana beat us to it.......
    https://keepamericafishing.org/louis...share-program/

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There was a captain taking people spot netting down here some years back.
    Repping the 28366

Believe it or not but many people that love to fish do so mainly to put something in the skillet and maybe evn catch enough to put a mess in the freezer for another day. Rod and reel limits on many species have become so ridiculously low that paying to go out with a commercial is the cheapest way to do this. Either that or pay a lot more money to fish with one of the many professional fishing guides.

Quote Originally Posted by coresounder View Post
    Believe it or not but many people that love to fish do so mainly to put something in the skillet and maybe evn catch enough to put a mess in the freezer for another day. Rod and reel limits on many species have become so ridiculously low that paying to go out with a commercial is the cheapest way to do this. Either that or pay a lot more money to fish with one of the many professional fishing guides.
    This is a great point that further drives home the fact that recreational fisherman have carried the overwhelming burden in lower trip limits over the years, while commercial fishermen have been able to maximize harvest year over year to their heart's desire.
    "What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

To answer the OP's question, you do have to have a fish dealer license ($100) to buy and sell finfish in NC. He would also need a vessel registration permit for each boat he uses in a commercial way and of course a scfl.
    I would not scare my pony on my boat out on the sea

Quote Originally Posted by crappie89 View Post
    This is a great point that further drives home the fact that recreational fisherman have carried the overwhelming burden in lower trip limits over the years, while commercial fishermen have been able to maximize harvest year over year to their heart's desire.
    Then I wonder why the commercial fishing industry in NC has declined so drastically over the last couple of decades. When I was a kid there were easily 5 times as many commercial boats in Pamlico County than there are now and many of the remaining ones fish other states heavily to make a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Powers View Post
    Then I wonder why the commercial fishing industry in NC has declined so drastically over the last couple of decades. When I was a kid there were easily 5 times as many commercial boats in Pamlico County than there are now and many of the remaining ones fish other states heavily to make a living.
    Maybe because NC's motto over the past several decades has been to maximize harvest at all cost? What happened to the New England cod fishery?
    cervus, Saltwater Republic, and sboro like this.

Quote Originally Posted by crappie89 View Post
    Maybe because NC's motto over the past several decades has been to maximize harvest at all cost? What happened to the New England cod fishery?
    I don't think that's it.

I don't think that's it.
    What do you think is the reason?
    sboro likes this.

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler

At the risk of shutting this thread down since it's verboten to discuss the real issues, I submit that is a rhetorical question with a parallel. When an area is logged out, loggers have to move elsewhere to continue logging. Sound forest management however, assures a sustained harvest over that same area over a longer period. See the parallel? Could it be there are fewer fishermen because there are fewer fish? And could the dearth of fish be due to harvesting for decades at an unsustainable level?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Never “verboten” if done civilly. They do get shut down though, when all points have been made and it becomes rehashing. The several that are on this site now are reaching that point.

Let’s focus on the successes and the positives of the fishing. Harping about the nets isn’t going to change it. Voting might, but that’s a political action and not necessarily part of what is supposed to be here.

Take that to a political forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    meenyt likes this.

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

I think the photo of the boat helps answer that question... the one with the net reel capable of setting and pulling 1,000s of yards of net versus the guy doing it by hand. The DMF measures effort by a trip. Does the guy hand setting 100-yards of net equal the same amount of effort as a fisherman setting 1,000-yards of net with a net reel? Common sense would say the second is 10X the effort, but DMF data says it is the same effort- one trip.

Shrimp trawling is the best example. DMF says shrimp trawling effort is down as much as 80% in the last thirty years. With that statement they lead the unknowing into believing that bycatch from shrimp trawling is therefore only 20% of what it was thirty years ago. The implication is that bycatch can't be a problem today- It has to be something else that is causing the decline of our inshore finfish and blue crab stocks.

Yet let's look at shrimp landings. They were static for forty years at about six million pounds up until the last three years when landings exploded to more than double the long term average.

How can trawl effort be down when landings have remained constant for so long and have now more than doubled from 6-million to 14-million? True effort is not down. Are there less boats? Yes. The trawl industry has moved from small wooden trawlers making an over-night trip to large 80 to 100 foot multipurpose boats that pull 4x the net size. Due to onboard refrigeration with insulated below deck holds, these industrial trawlers can trawl 24 hours a day for multiple days at a time. Landings show that effort is not down.

This thread might interest you- http://www.ncwaterman.com/forum/foru...apshot-in-time

The multipurpose vessels allow for year-round employment- the shrimp fisheries in the Spring (Fla, GA and SC), the Pamlico Sound in the summer through fall, off the beaches of NC, SC and GA in the late fall and early winter and then croaker flynetting, Northeast fluke and scallop fisheries in the winter.

All of NCs inshore finfishes are being targeted by commercial over-capacity without accurate data reflecting the true level of effort.

The trip shown above with a large net reel probably holding at least 1,000-yards of net- Do you think it was reported on a Trip Ticket. I'll guess not.

Above is a good example that helps explain part of the reason why 60% of all standard commercial fishing licenses report no annual landings under the mandatory trip ticket program. That is a HUGE problem for fisheries management. All fisheries management plans have a harvest component that drives the plan's goals to prevent over-fishing. It is impossible for the NCDMF/NCMFC to properly manage our fisheries for sustainability without knowing true effort.

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements