status of creeks near ashville

Thread: status of creeks near ashville

Default status of creeks near ashville

My family has planned a small vacation 15 minutes north of Ashville this weekend, the forecast looks rainy but I think I might try to get out a little. The closest creeks are some small blue lines called Shope's creek which ill probably do hike due to proximity. Anybody familiar with this creek?

The next closest creeks are the hatchery supported streams I.E. Reems, Swannona, Dillingham or Kane creek in good condition? from my research the older threads these streams are historically not very good habitat, have the conditions changed? I have keyed out these creeks due to the 30ish minute proximity. Any guidance on the conditions of the creeks would be appreciated.

Also, the section of the Blueridge just above me ( Ashville to mount Mitchell) is closed limiting my access to much of the areas I had planned to fish. is there any way to check how long these closures will last or are they typically closed during the winter months continuously?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I used to Grouse/bear hunt Shope/Bull creek. It's truthfully not somewhere I'd make a trip to, but if you can get up there, give it a shot. I grew up with the Craig's, Shope's and Sawyer's that originally owned a lot of it. It's mostly developments now.
    sboro likes this.

Red X angler

Thanks for the input! The access looked somewhat easy to the trailhead atleast with a nice parking lot, as for creek access i havnt found much from the info online. it was right down the road were i will be staying so thats the real draws to the area.

Te development stinks though, If im not gona be catching fish id atleast like to have a nice hike, so i might skip it.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Eh....give it a shot. If you can get up to the Gamelands, why not. Bring you some bear protection.
    Red X angler

That creek is on game lands. It’s classified as wild fishing waters. Good luck

Thanks again, Opted to just drive a little further because it was raining and had a family member want to hike along. hit some of the closest dh waters and managed a few on boogers and pheasant nymphs. both dark colored. No bears but a big old buck and beaver.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements