White Oak River

Thread: White Oak River

Default White Oak River

Heading up the white oak at Haywood Landing tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully will get on something and will report accordingly regardless! Anyone been up that way recently? Been about 6 mos for me....

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Haven't been since early Spring. I curious what Florence did to the river, so please report. I heard that the Quarry lakes in Maysville got blown out by flooding and are now connected to the river. Haven't verified yet.

Sorry, nothing exciting at all. Was out for 4 hours and called it quits after having zero bites. Floated a senko, jerked a fluke and jerk bait, crawled a jig, cranked a squarebill, and hopped a t-rig craw. Nothing. I’ve never been here following a big flood like Florence; does it really take this long for the water/fish to recover? Anyone out there with the experience of past flooding....how long did it take for recovery? I mean, it very well could be I simply suck, but I’m blaming the flooding for now.....

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I can only vouch for the Trent and Neuse Rivers. Yes, the storm impacted it pretty significantly, but it seems most of the panfish faired pretty well. I did catch a striper up there while crappie fishing a couple of weeks back.

Just stay after it, you'll eventually find them.

Good news about the pan fish. I would imagine if they persevered so would the bass. My wife (who is an avid bass angler as well) said feels the bass will be off until Feb and is not picking up a rod until then. She’s been busting my $&@! after every skunked trip to the rivers!

Keep after 'em Jason. This cold snap and dropping water temps could have been the culprit too. What did the river look like upstream from Haywood Landing? I'd imagine that the flooding probably rearranged things quite a bit. I'm still looking forward to reconning the Trent above Pollocksville, but I'm not sure if the ramp is even open. Pollocksville took a real hard hit from the storm. My heart goes out to the folks who live there.

bmac, the ramp at Pollocksville looks like it'll be down for a while. I've been putting in at Riverbend or Glenburnie. Lawson's was closed last weekend. I'm not sure about the ramp at Merchant's on Brice's Creek.

Thanks for the info Jack. My boat's too big to fish above Pollocksville, so I always take the kayak up there. Looks like it might be a while. I drove by Merchant's the other day but didn't notice if the docks were damaged or ramp was open. I'm afraid Lawson's is going to take some time.

New Bern Parks and Rec. Facebook page just posted launch no. 1 at Lawson's is now open. https://www.facebook.com/NewBernPR/photos/a.522998711396814/742174879479195/?type=3&theater

bmac, I also hit the Trent in my yak (when the current and wind are agreeable.). Last year went both up and down in the Bass Cat a bunch; not much on the yak. If u ever want/need a partner for an outing let me know. I’m always game (if I can get out of work!)

PM has been sent

I went back to the white oak today and realized I never mentioned the dirt road in my last posts. The dirt road off of 58 to get to the ramp is horrible. Furnately I went in the yak and wasn’t pulling my boat. They need to consider grading it real soon or it could become impassable with a boat in tow. The fish (bass at least) seem non existent in that water upstream from the ramp. It’s unfortunate; I’ve had some really good times LMB fishing up there. Tomorrow I’m hitting the NR north of the USO or headed to Lake Gaston; haven’t decided. I’ll report either way!

Plans changed and my brother and I ended up going to Shearon Harris. Pretty high and muddy but managed a couple bass and a pickerel (white spinner and white chatter bait respectively). Looking forward to see how the MLF guys work that lake. (Tried to upload pics but I have no idea how to do it from the phone; keeps telling me to “re-size”)

Shearon Harris is a big bass factory, but it's not an easy place to catch them. Those guys are Pros, they'll most likely hammer them.

Quote Originally Posted by panfish jack View Post
    Shearon Harris is a big bass factory, but it's not an easy place to catch them. Those guys are Pros, they'll most likely hammer them.
    Indeed. Figured they would be in 10-15 feet of water and after no hits all morning, we trailered, went to Sheetz, ate lunch and re-strategized and decided to muscle through the open water wind to drop heavy spinners along the ridges at 34 feet. And got hit within 30 minutes. Total guessing game; we had no electronics except my mobile Navionics app......😂

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements