Major League Fishing tournament in March 2019
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major League Fishing tournament in March 2019

Default Major League Fishing tournament in March 2019

Hey I don't know if everyone saw this but that new MLF tour will be stopping in NC at the end of March 2019:

http://www.majorleaguefishing.com/ar...EWJxLUrcf1haY8

They will be fishing Jordan, Falls, and Shearon Harris. I guess the format means there will be no weigh-ins that you can attend, but it might be interesting (or not) to see on TV or live streaming how those guys approach these lakes.

Jay

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Definitely going to watch the live stream. Thanks for the link..

Mlf keeps live scores from official on the boat, no weigh in. The could have changed but opening the 3 tours up had a main goal of assuring the fish live. If the fish touches anything but the anglers hand they get a 2 minute penalty. Fish is removed by angler, weighed by the officials scale and released at water level. No net or hot carpet injuries.

Does anyone know if the other 2 bodies adopted MLF rules or set one standard for all?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    peanut likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

BASS and FLW do not conduct tourneys the same as MLF. BASS does not allow netting the fish while FLW does, but other than that, they are almost the same as each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    meenyt likes this.

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

I just remembered Elite Series. Are they part of the big three?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

BASS has the Elite series.

geneinnc likes this.

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

MLF is the best!

Given the intense pressure these and other lakes experience from almost weekly tournaments, MLF is a relief and an answer.

A bit capital intensive, particularly for a sport suffering from the increasing cost of entry, but I suspect it will become the only way the sport can continue to grow relative to the resource available.

Catch & Kill
    -to-
    Catch, Cull, & Delayed Release
    -to-
    True Catch & Release

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    ChltBnks, geneinnc, and peanut like this.

I think its an interesting format, I like the catch-and-release. It really works for TV too. From the episodes I have seen (not anywhere near all of them), it is mainly a numbers game where finding a lot of small fish is the main strategy. But those who luck into a bigger fish can win too. It will be interesting to see if the anglers ever get caught up deciding on quantity vs. quality. From what I have seen the events aren't very long and it doesn't look like there is enough time to switch to a different fishing approach targeting bigger fish like the traditional culling strategy to increase the weight. I also wonder if there will ever be special events or rule changes that favor best five fish or something like that.

Good thing about MLF is they are utilizing bodies of water that are off the beaten path of professional competition. This makes it more even as the long time pros like KVD dont have 20 years of history to go by or . I cant think of any of the MLF pros who would have extensive experience in this area, I know Marty Stone does but he is the TV host.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Blog Entries

I enjoy watching these tourneys but they really canít translate to smaller budget, larger field tournaments. They just canít, so in the mean time, I will keep fishing the tourneys I compete in and do the utmost to keeping the fish alive and released as per the tournament rules.

I would add though, that there are casualties even in the MLF tourneys and will be as long a people are trying to catch fish with any kind of sharp objects. They just donít always show up as quickly. Itís not a dig on them, itís the nature of hook and line fishing no matter where you fish and what species you fish for.

We do the best we can with what we have and if any fish die, I hope they are collected and cleaned and given to those who would appreciate a good meal.

Abert43, BillinDurham, and Fishscalz like this.

Competitive Bass fishing is one thing, and a great thing it is.

What I see happening in the flyfishing for trout and other species is something else. Barbless single hook fishing is old hat but not lifting fish out for a pic unless water is streaming from their gills seems to be a new standard.

Iíve had the privilege of fishing Argentinaís Patagonia region on one of those big ranch/lodge setups. Though the landscape and fishery felt like what early 20th century Montana must have been like, theyíve fully embraced C&R. When wading with a lodge guide, the trout were rarely lifted out of the water to remove the barbless hook unless a trophy picture was needed. I very quickly adopted the same procedure when fishing alone.

But I also had the unexpected pleasure of landing a few geriatric specimens. Fish that had reached old age, quite long, not fat, almost emaciated. Usually feeding in the quietest of back waters where insects naturally collected and where there was enough cover to avoid predators but not productive enough to encourage competition. It got to the point where I could almost ID the oldsters before catching them.

Bottom line is the bottom line; C&R can be very good for business! What can beat having people pay $$$ to catch a non-depleting resource? If you can convince fisher people that the thrill is in getting the take, and that returning the catch makes the take both more difficult and more likely, everyone wins!

On that note, there a few previously hooked Bones who need my attention. Happy Holidays Yíall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

MLF will be interesting to keep an eye on.

Having the events over the course of 6 days, with changing weather conditions likely to occur, will be a test on many levels.

The revenue sharing idea instead of a payout with the smaller field, could be good or bad on angler finances, time will tell on that one.

MLF is a great show, when it was $20 per year I kept a running subscription. A year or two ago they sold to Outdoor Living Network and it went to $10 per month, so I cancelled. But I still sub to OLN periodically to catch up on all the episodes then un-sub till more are available. I will certainly keep my eyes open for 2019.

I have watched every episode of Major League Fishing that has been made. I love that show. I owe at least one 7lb largemouth specifically to that show - some years ago, went to central Florida to visit a relative on my wife's side, and made it to a lake that's on the St. John's River headwaters... never fished in Florida at that time, and at that time I'd never punched hydrilla or pitched heavy grass before but I copied what I'd seen on the show and found a working pattern for the day on Lake Washington and finished up with the last bass being 7lb and change.

They talk about their tactics a lot and really give more info than your standard bass tourney coverage. It's not feasible with most tourney situations because it requires a ref in each boat, but I really like the immediate release format. I stopped tournament fishing after seeing all the dead bass at the ramp at even small club tournies I fished in; I was the guy with two bubble boxes hanging on each weigh-in bag while in line, and my fish usually would jump out of the bin when I weighed them. Unfortunately there would be some who didn't seem to think about the amount of oxygen in such a small quantity of water during weigh in and it really drove me bonkers. I wonder sometimes if the pressure from tournaments on bass fishing nowadays does more harm than good, so I am happy to see a tournament that promotes immediate C&R. Interesting they are coming to NC.

This was the Florida trip a few years ago:

And for the record the bass pictured was taken, very lively I might add, from an aerated live well, photo'd and released.

MLF is a neat compromise to keep interesting TV with pro anglers while minimizing morbidity and mortality of the fish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_2764.jpg‎†
Views:	240†
Size:	107.3 KB†
ID:	192817Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG_2774.jpg‎†
Views:	266†
Size:	40.0 KB†
ID:	192819
    BillinDurham, and sporkd2 like this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

New season started last Saturday with episode 2 airing this Saturday at 2:00 on OLN.
    I do NOT miss an episode. Was glad to see Wesley Strader advance after a huge loss 2 years ago in Michigan. Led by 16 lbs going into the 3rd period and never caught another fish and lost....
    BillinDurham likes this.

P-nut

oooooh no spoilers, please! I wait till the whole tournament is online and then resub.
    - Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast