Pee hole problem

Thread: Pee hole problem

Default Pee hole problem

Problem isactually more toward the end of the post.
    Afterfinally going through my new engines manual with a fine tooth comb, I find thatwinterizing the engine is pretty simple and the instructions do not have medoing any of the things I have seen on YouTube or even read about in many forums.
    The manualfor a 2019 Suzuki DF 150 says to basically fill up the gas tank, make sure youhave an appropriate amount of gas preservative added, start the motor and letit run for about 5 minutes or so with ears mounted or engine in a water tank ofcourse to distribute the preservative, then turn off motor. Then you are to tilt the motor up and down acouple of times ending in a full upright position so all the water can runout.
    There is nofogging….no pulling plugs and shooting oil into the plug hole….none of thatkind of stuff.
    Ok, so Igot me a heavy-duty pair of ears. Hookedthem up to the hose and ran water through them to make sure all is good. It was.
    I thenmounted the ears appropriately onto the water intake of the motor and turnedthe hose up full blast.
    Got intothe boat and started the motor up. Walkedback to the motor ( 22ft pontoon boat) and checked the pee hole. NOTHING.
    Ran back upto the console and shut down the motor. Got off the boat and rechecked the position of the ears again. All good.
    Climbed backup into the pontoon boat, started the motor, quickly went back to check the peehole…..NOTHING again.
    Ran back upand cut off motor. ( At this pointthere was a whole lot of cursing and with 35 military time….I can curse! )
    Got off theboat and for some reason the idea came to me to hook the hose up to the flushconnection on the motor and run water through it. Kind of like “priming the pump”. Then I reset the ears.
    Climbedback up into the pontoon boat, started the motor and in a couple seconds waterwas shooting out of the pee hole and continued to do so for the 5 or 7 minutesI ran it.
    THEQUESTION IS……
    When timerolls around that it is warm again and I take the boat out to break in themotor should I somehow pour water into the flush connection and “prime” it priorto launching? Did this happen because ithas set for about 2 plus weeks and not run? (My Tohatsu doesn’t do this. )
    Anyone elseever have this happen????

The great thing about excruciating pain......at least you know you are still alive.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I see that you reset the ears a couple of times...but maybe they just weren’t properly positioned the first two times? I have had this happen on an older Mercury outboard, and had to readjust the ears until the water circulated through the outlet. Never had this happen on a newer Yamaha, but I always connect the hose directly to the flush connection.
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris52 View Post
    I see that you reset the ears a couple of times...but maybe they just weren’t properly positioned the first two times? I have had this happen on an older Mercury outboard, and had to readjust the ears until the water circulated through the outlet. Never had this happen on a newer Yamaha, but I always connect the hose directly to the flush connection.
    Hopefully you are not running your Yamaha with the flush connection, only run the engine with muffs. The engine manual clearly states this.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB612225-24D0-4183-B98E-3B569287843B.jpg‎ 
Views:	319 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	192647  
    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO, Carolina Blue
    Jackson Coosa FD, Native Ultimate 14.5, CCA Member

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

No, def not running engine off flush connection. Poorly written description I suppose. I ran water through the flush connection then reattached the hose to the ears and had water coming out ears before restarting engine.

As for ears, they fit completely over the water intake. They are the big rectangular ones not the small circular ones.
    The great thing about excruciating pain......at least you know you are still alive.

No...just to flush, only!!! Sorry if I was not clear.
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

One suggestion is to keep a piece of weed wacker cable ( green) handy n run it through the pee hole. Creatures n grit can block the whole. Dont force the cable, on my 60 I only get need a couple inches to clear the hole

I had a Yamaha once that would not pee when I used the muffs. I used a big trash can and lowered the engine into it, filled with water, cranked the motor, and she peed fine. The muffs just didn't put enough water in the system so I've always used a trash can to test the engine.
    Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

It's a Suzi but non the less....I do the barrel for my Tohatsu 30 HP however the size of the 150 makes that method...for me... very difficult to achieve. Once I "primed" the engine with the hose on the clean out connection, when I put the ears back on and ran water it worked fine. Remember, this engine has not seen a lake other than when the dealer propped it. Got it in Nov and have been waiting for stable weather and getting the trailer ready and a few more options installed on the boat itself.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements