Missing Red X Crew Post - Page 12
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Missing Red X Crew Post

Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    Eating healthy again... so I will have lighter fare. Found (impossible to believe) a 160 calorie chicken hot sausage at Sams club... May use it to make some sausage and peppers for everyone.
    I would be all over that. I have been making reasonably good choices and eating healthy amounts for a while. After losing over 60 pounds a while back, I have kept my BMI under 25 for a year now; this time I might make it stick.
    biglenr likes this.

-Andy

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It is actually tasty. Hope they have more when I go there this weekend

BMI is only useful if you have an average build. It was created in the 1840's for "general population" and is widely misused to apply to individuals... for example, Dwayne "the rock" Johnson is morbidly obese by it. Obviously not true.

It just doesn't account for muscle. And it starts to break apart at heights over 6'2", as it assumes proportions remain constant with changes in height, which isn't true... the rule of thumb is if you double an organism's height, you triple it's weight. Which is why if people were 9 feet tall they would break their ankles pretty much by walking.

Speaking as someone who is uninsurable because of BMI measurements, but in reasonably good shape....
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    It is actually tasty. Hope they have more when I go there this weekend

BMI is only useful if you have an average build. It was created in the 1840's for "general population" and is widely misused to apply to individuals... for example, Dwayne "the rock" Johnson is morbidly obese by it. Obviously not true.

It just doesn't account for muscle. And it starts to break apart at heights over 6'2", as it assumes proportions remain constant with changes in height, which isn't true... the rule of thumb is if you double an organism's height, you triple it's weight. Which is why if people were 9 feet tall they would break their ankles pretty much by walking.

Speaking as someone who is uninsurable because of BMI measurements, but in reasonably good shape....
    I am 5'8", average proportions, medium build and not an elite athlete. It's accurate for me. I chose getting under a BMI of 25 because it was a fixed number that I couldn't rationalize like I had weight targets in the past. At my height, I had to get to 164 to have a BMI of 24.9 and I could not change that. The crazy thing is that once I got down that low, I felt like it really wasn't quite enough and kept going. I maintain at around 155 and I am considering dropping that to 150.

EDIT - there's another guideline, I think from the WHO, that says at no point should your girth be more than half your height. That makes sense and scales better to all sizes.
    -Andy

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've went on a diet when I got to 220 and dropped to 185 about 5 years ago. I'm 191 now (@6'0). I found that smaller portions have helped me stay at a decent weight but I eat what I want. Its one of life's great pleasures.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
    H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

I still eat pretty much whatever I want in that nothing is off limits (except alcohol, but that's another story). I just keep track so I can make trade offs when necessary.
    -Andy

Extended forecast looks marvelous. A dry week prior to our weekend. Highs for our weekend around 70. Chilly at night (40) so the Little Buddy heater will be making the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by h2ohhh View Post
    Extended forecast looks marvelous. A dry week prior to our weekend. Highs for our weekend around 70. Chilly at night (40) so the Little Buddy heater will be making the trip.

Two weeks out is a stretch for forecasting. What forecast are you looking at? Weather Channel is showing rain every day from the 8th to the 14th with highs around 60 right now on their long range, but I don't take it seriously yet.
    -Andy

Quote Originally Posted by OptiMystic View Post
    Two weeks out is a stretch for forecasting. What forecast are you looking at? Weather Channel is showing rain every day from the 8th to the 14th with highs around 60 right now on their long range, but I don't take it seriously yet.
    Not very optimistic, Optimystic. AccuWeather. While 2 weeks out may be a stretch it gives a good general weather pattern. Matters not to me as I'm going regardless.

plowboy0051 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by h2ohhh View Post
    Not very optimistic, Optimystic. AccuWeather. While 2 weeks out may be a stretch it gives a good general weather pattern. Matters not to me as I'm going regardless.

Actually, I am both Optimystic and optimistic. I am hopeful that it will be better than WC predicts. I was curious about what long range you were using. I actually prefer Weather Underground but they don't show anything past next weekend yet, probably because it is crystal ball at that point.
    -Andy

Actually, I am both Optimystic and optimistic. I am hopeful that it will be better than WC predicts. I was curious about what long range you were using. I actually prefer Weather Underground but they don't show anything past next weekend yet, probably because it is crystal ball at that point.
    Someone should consult Dr H on weather forecasting.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

I donít trust weather weather reports anymore. With this crazy weather we have now I donít think the weather models are accurate as in the past.
    h2ohhh, and OptiMystic like this.

Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    I donít trust weather weather reports anymore. With this crazy weather we have now I donít think the weather models are accurate as in the past.
    That's for sure. A closer look at the WC shows they are doing some CYA on the furthest out days. They have the graphic for full on rain, the drop for precip type, but then only 40% chance every single day from the 8th to the 16th. Each of those days, the predicted high is within 3 degrees of 60 and the predicted low within 3 degrees of 40. So it looks like they think there will be some clouds around, maybe it will rain, maybe it won't, it seems like it will cool to around 40 and warm to around 60 most of those days. But instead of being that vague, they push those numbers around a little bit on each day.

They like having a little fun with the long range forecast in Canada (keep in mind numbers are Celsius):

The post surgery rehab of my shoulder is going well, but not miraculous and I won't be paddling. If I am shore bound, I will be a little more weather dependent than most. I don't want to risk scrambling around on muddy banks, slipping and putting my hand out from instinct.
    GreyGhost, and plowboy0051 like this.

-Andy

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

There is a little country store near my house that the old timers meet every day discussing weather,farming and who passed away. From what I have gathered while sitting with them for awhile they observe the animals and how much nuts a tree produces for predicting weather. They are way more accurate on how bad a winter or hot the summer will be than the weather channel. I think a weekly Saturday attendance of the get together will be beneficial and a good lesson on what nature tells us what the weather might bring. The only down side is eating the amount of salted fish, hoop cheese and moon pies they devour.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    There is a little country store near my house that the old timers meet every day discussing weather,farming and who passed away. From what I have gathered while sitting with them for awhile they observe the animals and how much nuts a tree produces for predicting weather. They are way more accurate on how bad a winter or hot the summer will be than the weather channel. I think a weekly Saturday attendance of the get together will be beneficial and a good lesson on what nature tells us what the weather might bring. The only down side is eating the amount of salted fish, hoop cheese and moon pies they devour.
    There is a guy in England, David King, who has been doing nature based long range forecasting with pretty high accuracy. He has been doing it publicly long enough to be able to back up his claim of 90%. He has a book on it:

Weather Without Technology: Accurate, nature based, weather forecasting

In an ironic twist, that's available for the Kindle and he has a web site.
    -Andy

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

There is a guy in England, David King, who has been doing nature based long range forecasting with pretty high accuracy. He has been doing it publicly long enough to be able to back up his claim of 90%. He has a book on it:

Weather Without Technology: Accurate, nature based, weather forecasting

In an ironic twist, that's available for the Kindle and he has a web site.
    Interesting, have you read his book and tried predicting the weather.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements