Missing Red X Crew Post - Page 13
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Missing Red X Crew Post

Quote Originally Posted by OptiMystic View Post
    There is a guy in England, David King, who has been doing nature based long range forecasting with pretty high accuracy. He has been doing it publicly long enough to be able to back up his claim of 90%. He has a book on it:

Weather Without Technology: Accurate, nature based, weather forecasting

In an ironic twist, that's available for the Kindle and he has a web site.
    That's easy. Rains 90% of the time in England.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
    H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I predict we will have little rain in July and August.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Interesting, have you read his book and tried predicting the weather.
    No. I got pointed there when I made a statement about people just remembering the exceptions when they were right and the climatologists were wrong and that no one was all that accurate. Turns out I don't know everything. The last couple of winters many of the nature based forecasts predicted the cold in the eastern US while most of the rest of the world was experiencing above normal temps. That was pretty bizarre; there were a number of days when Alaska was warmer than DC.

Quote Originally Posted by h2ohhh View Post
    That's easy. Rains 90% of the time in England.
    He does 6 months out, and predicts above or below normal/average temps and precip.
    -Andy

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Quote Originally Posted by OptiMystic View Post
    No. I got pointed there when I made a statement about people just remembering the exceptions when they were right and the climatologists were wrong and that no one was all that accurate. Turns out I don't know everything. The last couple of winters many of the nature based forecasts predicted the cold in the eastern US while most of the rest of the world was experiencing above normal temps. That was pretty bizarre; there were a number of days when Alaska was warmer than DC.

He does 6 months out, and predicts above or below normal/average temps and precip.
    Reached out to the guy about how his methods would work here in the USA. Answer was some would apply in northeast but south and west probably not. Waiting on Dr. H to lay out his methods for predicting the weather and his predictions for the up coming meets this year.
    Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

I bought the chicken sausage. 160 calories per link, mozzarella & garlic. Will cook up with peppers and onions on Sat.
    h2ohhh, and OptiMystic like this.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Life might be getting in the way of me attending this meet. I will do my best to be physically there, if not in spirit anyway.
    Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

Life might be getting in the way of me attending this meet. I will do my best to be physically there, if not in spirit anyway.
    Well I hope life will work out for you

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    biglenr, GreyGhost, and RaymondWells like this.

Red X Angler - When we catch and release we don't want to eat it, we just want to make it late for something.

I mentioned this before, but it was kind of buried in the context of another post...

Does anyone have a spot on a boat? I would certainly pony up some gas money. I can't paddle due the the post surgery shoulder rehab and if I am going to be shore bound it will affect my thinking with regard to weather; I don't want to clamor around on muddy banks, slip and put my arm out on reflex. Hopefully the weather pattern will change and it will be nice and dry and that won't be a concern.
    -Andy

Opti

I'm not sure anyone is bringing a boat. But there is a fishing pier if the shore is too slick for you. I bet there are accessible spots along the shore though. Both bass and crappie should be staging in deeper water adjacent to the shallow spawning areas. I'd toss a chatterbait jig for bass (with a crawfish or twin tail grub threaded on the hook). Crappie may be up close around brush. A small maribou jig a foot or two under a weighted float is deadly...move it very slowly. A bass will grab it too. You can buy a 'card,' of them at Bass pro for a couple of bucks. Or get some #4 thin wire hooks and some lip hooked minnows from a bait shop.

I think fishing pier is still torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by h2ohhh View Post
    Opti

I'm not sure anyone is bringing a boat. But there is a fishing pier if the shore is too slick for you. I bet there are accessible spots along the shore though. Both bass and crappie should be staging in deeper water adjacent to the shallow spawning areas. I'd toss a chatterbait jig for bass (with a crawfish or twin tail grub threaded on the hook). Crappie may be up close around brush. A small maribou jig a foot or two under a weighted float is deadly...move it very slowly. A bass will grab it too. You can buy a 'card,' of them at Bass pro for a couple of bucks. Or get some #4 thin wire hooks and some lip hooked minnows from a bait shop.

While for selfish reasons I wish someone was, it's kind of cool that paddling has become so pervasive. It's definitely my preference; I just can't do it until late April.
    -Andy

Quote Originally Posted by rascals dad View Post
    I think fishing pier is still torn down.
    Might be a good spot to float a 'minner' if some of it's in the water.

Hopefully life will let you know how much you need to make this trip. One more week, looks like the weather is going to be acceptable, at least in my world.
    GreyGhost, and plowboy0051 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    While we are in the area... Anyone want to go to the "Falls reservoir" of the Yadkin lake on Sunday on our way out? Supposed to be beautiful, underused, and it it has tunnels/caves you can kayak into. It's the next lake up from Lake Tillery, which we will be fishing, and the launch is on the same side of the lake that we will be on.

I ain't never caught no fish in a cave.... be a good story to tell (intentional grammar).
    I was looking at the dam area and the caves and I would be interested in checking out that area, looks pretty interesting but also looks like there is some serious current up that way. Is there a put in closer to the dam?
    Red X Angler

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." ~Author Unknown

Unsure... I am now out on Sunday anyway, I have an appointment in Greensboro at 10.

Talking to Gene... he may be doing a uwharrie float on sat morning. Thinks fishing may be better on the river than the lake at high water levels.

Easy trip from the campsite... And he says he catches some VERY nice fish there in March.
    plowboy0051, and RaymondWells like this.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements