Missing Red X Crew Post - Page 14
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Missing Red X Crew Post

Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    Unsure... I am now out on Sunday anyway, I have an appointment in Greensboro at 10.

Talking to Gene... he may be doing a uwharrie float on sat morning. Thinks fishing may be better on the river than the lake at high water levels.

Easy trip from the campsite... And he says he catches some VERY nice fish there in March.
    I wonder if it's the stretch where Gene took mwagner and I on an "aquatic hike" one day. Stretches were floatable. I caught lots of panfish and I have another story to tell, so it was still a good day. Probably has enough water in it with all the recent and forecast rain.
    -Andy

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Andy - any videos I have found on the Uwharrie River show low water so it may be perfect water levels for a float.
    Red X Angler

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." ~Author Unknown

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Quote Originally Posted by mwagner View Post
    Hopefully life will let you know how much you need to make this trip. One more week, looks like the weather is going to be acceptable, at least in my world.
    I know how much I need to attend this meet more than ever, rain, snow, cold blowing wind does not factor in on me attending a meet. These meets getting together with some special people gives me a new outlook on life and revives ones soul for when you feel down and out. This is one of the reasons for me starting the Fort Fisher Meet to experience or try to see and feel how John does watching a angry surf and the peace, solitude of nature. If we had a meet every month I would signup to attend, no better feeling than spending time with this fine group.
    Daze823, h2ohhh, mwagner, and RaymondWells like this.

Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondWells View Post
    Andy - any videos I have found on the Uwharrie River show low water so it may be perfect water levels for a float.
    I think Gene had some pictures.
    RaymondWells likes this.

-Andy

In the summer the Uwharrie has spots that require some dragging. I've kayaked it from the low water bridge all the way to Tillery (16 miles, 2 day trip). It's very very remote with few places to get out due to high banks. In March, be sure to have dry clothes in a dry bag and first aid supplies. Waders too. I've kayaked it in April and that stream is hypothermia cold. There are big smallies in there (mostly in the upper section) but not big numbers. This old man is fishing the lake.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
    H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

I may be persuaded to lake it too but would like to go up to explore the caves near the dam.
    GreyGhost likes this.

Red X Angler

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." ~Author Unknown

The waders are a good idea. I think that and the dry clothes and fire supplies will be with me.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Quote Originally Posted by RaymondWells View Post
    I may be persuaded to lake it too but would like to go up to explore the caves near the dam.
    Aren't those half drowned highway tunnels?
    -Andy

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Quote Originally Posted by h2ohhh View Post
    In the summer the Uwharrie has spots that require some dragging. I've kayaked it from the low water bridge all the way to Tillery (16 miles, 2 day trip). It's very very remote with few places to get out due to high banks. In March, be sure to have dry clothes in a dry bag and first aid supplies. Waders too. I've kayaked it in April and that stream is hypothermia cold. There are big smallies in there (mostly in the upper section) but not big numbers. This old man is fishing the lake.

Good info to bear in mind with cold temps. I need to pickup a set of waders with boots attached for kayak launching. Any suggestions on a decent pair to buy.

Lake for this old man also.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Good info to bear in mind with cold temps. I need to pickup a set of waders with boots attached for kayak launching. Any suggestions on a decent pair to buy.

Lake for this old man also.
    Ted, while hip boots would be fine for that (frog toggs makes an inexpensive pair with boots) it's not smart to wear them while kayaking in deep water. If you go that route take them off after entering the water which means you have to put them back on while exiting. A pair of regular waterproof boots would be fine as long as you mount and dismount shallow. Or just use wading shoes and put on dry socks and shoed when you get in the yak.

GreyGhost likes this.

H2ohhh, Dr. H, Judge H...what the H? Nucanoe Frontier 12.

Quote Originally Posted by h2ohhh View Post
    Ted, while hip boots would be fine for that (frog toggs makes an inexpensive pair with boots) it's not smart to wear them while kayaking in deep water. If you go that route take them off after entering the water which means you have to put them back on while exiting. A pair of regular waterproof boots would be fine as long as you mount and dismount shallow. Or just use wading shoes and put on dry socks and shoed when you get in the yak.

Ted Iím happy to see that youíre going to try to make it. Iím not going to try wading but either lake or River is fine with me. I have a feeling that water levels will be high no matter what we do. Still bringing Bar b que for Friday night. Iíll throw something else in the cooler for Saturday just in case...
    GreyGhost, and RaymondWells like this.

So I'm going bring all my boats and make the decision on lake or river depending on number at each.
    Donnie's buddy has my spare yak and then there will either be Slayer 14 or a frontier 10. Just be warned if you hits rocks in the frontier you have to say sorry to Ted. I believe he will know deep down in his soul that his former yak has took damage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Daze823, and GreyGhost like this.

Red X Angler - When we catch and release we don't want to eat it, we just want to make it late for something.

Also in case I didn't state before my buddy and former boss man is coming. What time Are y'all plotting getting down

Red X Angler - When we catch and release we don't want to eat it, we just want to make it late for something.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Quote Originally Posted by agger View Post
    So I'm going bring all my boats and make the decision on lake or river depending on number at each.
    Donnie's buddy has my spare yak and then there will either be Slayer 14 or a frontier 10. Just be warned if you hits rocks in the frontier you have to say sorry to Ted. I believe he will know deep down in his soul that his former yak has took damage

The frontier 10 was a great kayak and hated to sell it. Will never forget my first float with Darrell and Ray on the Yadkin and my first chain pickerel, small mouth. Good to see you enjoying the 10.
    agger, and RaymondWells like this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Quote Originally Posted by agger View Post
    Also in case I didn't state before my buddy and former boss man is coming. What time Are y'all plotting getting down

Late afternoon hopefully after the predicted rain passes to setup camp.
    agger likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements