Lake Norman

Thread: Lake Norman

Default Lake Norman

I am going to be in Davidson for a weekend in a couple of weeks and wondered if it is worth bringing any gear. I have heard of the "Hot Hole." Never been there or know what to expect. I striper fish a fair amount, so have plenty of gear. Can anyone give me any advice if it is worth trying and where to go. Thanks in advance for any information.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

The Hot Hole can produce some stripers. Ive never caught one myself but seen them caught on a slash bait and blood Worms. I know a couple nice ones was caught from a Jon boat in the upper part of the lake a couple weeks ago.
    Old Coot Red X Angler with a in my dreams only Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

Thanks for the reply. Have to admit, never would have tried blood worms. Seen them used far north of here for stripers, but learn something everyday.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Will you be fishing from the bank or by boat?

There are several places to try for either...
    Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

I will be fishing from the bank.

The Hot Hole is hit & miss.... Steep rip rap on the bank, when the water is running at the plant, the bite is usually on, but it's an old coal fired plant, and they don't usually run it due to pollution concerns. Fast current when plant is running. Chicken livers do well too, I am told. Blood worms are about $12-$15/dozen, and hard to find.

These days, the stripers are rare... they haven't been stocked in a while. Hybrids are now of a reasonable size, and ready to be caught, but the behavior is a little different.

The McGuire nuclear plant on the south side of the lake (exit 25 off I-77) has it's own hot hole, which doesn't seem to draw as many hybrids, but plenty of spotted bass.

Both areas have mega snags on the bottoms, so lots of gear.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Blog Entries

As mentioned, the two hot holes are accessible. The state park off exit 42 of 77 offers lots of area to fish from the bank as well as a fishing pier. The water is a bit dingy up that way but there are fish to be caught. Of course, the water is dingy on a lot of the lake.

The water temp is around 50 and bright crankbaits have been working for us right now...Rapala DT 6s and 4s...for bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

Hybrids would also be fine, just looking for something to catch. They use to stock them in Jordan and they were fun. Use to catch them a lot on top during the summer. I primarily use artificial lures.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements