How to raise your own bait worms - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to raise your own bait worms

Quote Originally Posted by Trout_Guide View Post
    I use worm glo on all the worms before I fish with them- the chartreuse color makes the fish go wild. Works 3-1 over standard in most cases.
    I have seen this while fishing with Trout_Guide. Least it was this way when it came to the white perch.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Canadian nightcrawlers are almost impossible to raise in captivity. They are a burrowing worm, not a colony dweller. They need a cold environment and uncrowded conditions. You can raise some but the time and effort required gives you a poor return on your investment. They produce very few eggs, and you just can't produce a huge fishable population of these things like you can with composting worms.

If you want a great big worm that can be raised in a worm bin with standard methods, go with the african nightcrawler. They breed like rabbits. Be warned that they are a tropical worm, and can't tolerate temps below 60. Also, you have to keep them in a ziploc weathershield tote. Every other box cannot contain them, and i've tried just about everything.

They produce on average 6 baby worms per week. You can fish with this kind of nightcrawler frequently and not worry about depleting your population. It's cheaper in the long run to go this route. I've grown mine out to 9 inches long, the key is to make sure they don't get too crowded and feed them chicken egg layer crumbles mixed with alfalfa pellets.

Thanks for the info. Canadian Nightcrawlers seem to always be in bait shops so I thought I would ask. I have started up a bin of European nightcrawlers. Just trying to play it by ear on keeping the worms happy and fed. I put too much feed out first week and the feed molded so I'm trying to get the amount fine tuned. Also had a few escapes until I got a night light positioned over the bin. Thanks again for posting this Trout_Guide. I probably would not have tried it had I not seen this post. I may start another bin depending on how this one goes.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just lightly dust the feed with those euros. They die very quickly if over fed. I lost my first batch from overfeeding them. Let us know how it goes.

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12