Drift fishing without a drift boat? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drift fishing without a drift boat?

Yeah, I've been on the Tuck when it was more of a grunt & push trip than a float trip and a tin hull would have been bent up a lot (I have had 2 jon boats that I loved) and other times when it has a run and gun without an engine- just lift the anchor and off we go. I love the river and glad you had a good trip. But every boat is a compromise and I would never take my small jon boat on the Tuck and certainly not my 18' one. A canoe is possible and maybe a kayak but the rocks are very real, which is why the guides use drift boats. When the water is right, it's a great river for wading. We came up to our guide's favorite hole and there was a young lady standing in the middle of it. Her guide was with the same shop as our guide so we learned this lass had been standing there for 2 hours and had caught 40 fish. Since she was fishing in another direction, her guide told us we could cast to the edge of the hole. We caught a dozen fish out of it in about 20 minutes. That's good fishing. So tight lines and dry floating in whatever you decide to use.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks Whitefish115! In retrospect my buddy and I who floated it both feel we could have caught more fish wading and saw a number of people doing so. Nevertheless the float was a nice change of pace from days of wade fishing and we managed to pack out and hit the Balsom area to finish off the day with a couple dozen fish each to get the rods a little more bent. it was a hot while we floated and most action came early in the morning. I definitely want to explore more of the Tuck and try closer to the headwaters of Fontana.

4. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12