Brrrr....

Thread: Brrrr....

Default Brrrr....

19 in the sun, and near zero in the shade of the gorge. It was so cold and windy I wore long pants. ( yup, I'm that guy). Had all of my fine Simms gear to keep the chill off ( sans waders) and still had to occasionally tuck the fingers in the pockets. I went with spinning gear today and just fished the slow deeper water in the tail outs. With all this rain we've had, the water was still gin clear. The level was falling too....perfect conditions for a skunk. I started with slow moving Rapala U.L. minnows in Brown Trout, then CountDowns in same, the became desperate and tried some Power Worms. I am in the shower now, washing the skunk off. It was worth the walk, as cabin fever has me desperate for any kind of fishing I can get.Click image for larger version.

Name:	14274.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	192977Click image for larger version.

Name:	14275.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	192979

Red X angler

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It was well below zero with the windchill this morning here at the base of grandfather mtn. Lord this needs to go away soon.
    LIVIT likes this.

Fishing is not just about catching fish. Sometimes.....you just Need to be Outdoors. I've attached a pic from Fontana....Lemmons Branch....which if you fish there, is normally Very Busy. I was the Only knucklehead willing to brave the cold that day (late Dec..below 20). I caught a few fish....and was Happy I went.....mostly because I pushed myself to do it. We all get skunked some days....at least you went. You'll get 'em next time.....D

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg‎
Views:	531
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	192983
    GreyGhost, and LIVIT like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Y'all braver than me. Not really into clearing the ice from my guides anymore at this age. I feel ya on the cabin fever, got myself another boat as a xmas present to self and have hardly been able to work on rigging it. I too hope we get a break soon !

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIT View Post
    Y'all braver than me. Not really into clearing the ice from my guides anymore at this age. I feel ya on the cabin fever, got myself another boat as a xmas present to self and have hardly been able to work on rigging it. I too hope we get a break soon !
    Nice Christmas present, what is your new boat.
    Old Coot Red X Angler With A Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

I bought a used Scout Sportfish 162 cc with a Yamaha 90. If the weather would give me a break, I have a MinnKota Riptide with auto-pilot to get mounted, Bimini top, rocket launchers, rod holders, led lights. I am rewiring everything except outboard, putting in a digital 8 bank rocker switch panel. Multi bank onboard MinnKota charger. Sounds like a lot, but actually, if I could get 2-3 days of decent temps without rain, I could have it ready.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

I have looked at Scout boats they make a nice boat. Good to see you are going through the boat and upgrading things before putting it in the water. 👍
    LIVIT likes this.

Old Coot Red X Angler With A Bucket List
    2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12 & 14

I love the bitter cold days.....I've had many 75-100 fish days when I had ice in my guides. Just got back from Hartwell. Water temps in low 40s, air temp never got above 40 over 3 days.....the fish were eating like it was the end of time. Caught at least 50 every day. I love winter time fishing. Got back to North Carolina last night and when I crossed the line it was 62 degrees. Such an awful climate we have.

I do know one thing- can't catch em if you're line isn't wet. 🙂
    Lifelong fishing nut. Wish I was fishin, instead of wishing!

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements