Tar River

Thread: Tar River

Default Tar River

Wondering if anyone has any tips for fishing the Tar River. I'm local and find myself down near the Town Common in Greenville a lot needing to kill time. I have always fished saltwater for the most part and don't really know where to start. Would need to involve artificial lures of some sort rather than bait. I am not picky about what I catch, just looking to bend the rod and kill some time. Don't have a boat or kayak, I'd be fishing from the Common.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Default Tar River

Give it a couple weeks or so
    shad fishing can be excellent in the tar with darts and jigs
    you can chase them all the way to the dam at rocky mount fishing along the bank no need of a boat
    Falkland boat ramp from the banks is great
    Old Sparta is good also but bridge construction may have the walking trail opposite side of 42 from boat rampclosed
    stripers can be caught but the 26 rule will be a challenge for a keeper
    just keep watch on the crowds

Might want to think about bottom fishing with cut bait on a Santee rig. Opportunity to catch a catfish, striper or (ugh) bowfin. Second the call about shad fishing. Agree with Fishman, but think maybe more like 3+ weeks before shad show up in numbers. Heard Greenville Marine has shad rigs.
    You should have been here yesterday!!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You can walk along the green way and catch bream with a 1/32-1/16 oz beetle spin. best color is green. Though id wait till spring or summer to try that. Shad fishing will pick up in a month or so. the water has been so high the past couple months i wouldnt even bother fishing. Wait for it to go donw before you give it a shot.

Live in little Washington here, I was wondering about the shad run as well. If anyone is aware of Masons boat landing its between tranters creek and the large width of the Tar river coming from the new overpass.
    Is it possible to catch these shad in tranters creek on their way to spawn?
    Or should I go up tar river a little?
    Range 1 mile electric boat

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict71 View Post
    Live in little Washington here, I was wondering about the shad run as well. If anyone is aware of Masons boat landing its between tranters creek and the large width of the Tar river coming from the new overpass.
    Is it possible to catch these shad in tranters creek on their way to spawn?
    Or should I go up tar river a little?
    Range 1 mile electric boat
    I'm sure they are in trainers.

Wanted to re-up this and say that the beetle spins were excellent advice, I have had good luck with those. Thanks!

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements