SeaStar Steering System Maintenance Question

Thread: SeaStar Steering System Maintenance Question

Default SeaStar Steering System Maintenance Question

I presently had to add and top off hydraulic fluid in my SeaStar steering system. I haven't found any fluid leaks in the system although I believe there would be one. Only hydraulic fluid I had at the time was not SeaStar hydraulic fluid but a brand available Shield Aw 32 used in jacks and lifts. My question to all in this matter is, should there be any concern with the hydraulic fluid which I added to my steering system be harmful to the system?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If in doubt drain it and put in Sea Star. If I remember right its not real expensive and I have seen it on the shelf at several dealers. As far as fluid loss goes, I imagine over time you lose a tiny bit on the ram every time you turn the wheel. Could also have a leaking seal on the ram. When mine had a bad seal you could see fluid residue on the end caps.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Yeah Neil just to eliminate any dought I plan to drain, fill, and bleed the air from the hydraulic steering system. I did find the location of a very slight seepage of hydraulic fluid at the cylinder seal. I'm in the process of locating the correct Teleflex SeaStar Hydraulic Steering seal kit for the cylinder. Think I will need to find a service technique in the Greensboro, NC area who can do all the necessary work of this steering system

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I found signs of fluid seeping from a seal on the cylinder so have seal kit and fluid ordered. All will be hopefully back to normality soon.

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements