Fuse box wiring question

Thread: Fuse box wiring question

Default Fuse box wiring question

Here is what I want todo.
    I have purchased a2019 Crest pontoon boat. Obviously, ithas a console and within the console is agood bit of wiring.

I want to put in theconsole a Blue Sea Systems ST Blade 12 position fuse box. Into this fuse box I want to run both my HumminbirdGPS fish finders, interior LED lights,under the gunnels LED lights and whatever else I come up with.
    My first thought wasto get enough 4 AUG battery wire and run directly from the battery to theconsole fishing the cable somehow from one side of the boat to the other.
    But I am wondering ifI can go into the console and find where the battery cables (neg/pos) come inand come off of them where they connect in the console. Obviously, that would save a lot of cable andthe pain of trying to run it from the battery on one side of the boat to theconsole on the other side of the boat.
    What do you see asthe positives or negative of that method?? (no pun intended)

The great thing about excruciating pain......at least you know you are still alive.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Aren’t there any vacant accessory slots on the existing console (especially for a fish finder?)? Is the boat already pre-wired and set up with breakers instead of a fuse box? Or are you wanting a separate fuse box so you can add on all kinds of other stuff?
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

The second one. The way it is wired now looks like someone on LSD got in there and kept both eyes closed. I don't think the Humminbird the dealer put in has any kind of fuse etc protection at all. Not that I am an organization nut, I just want a cleaner install and options down the road.
    The great thing about excruciating pain......at least you know you are still alive.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Do you have enough room to add another battery under, beside, or in front of the console? That would make your wiring problem easier to solve—but then you would have an additional battery to charge and maintain. You could sure add lots of other 12 volt accessories though, like radios, floodlights, stereo systems, etc.
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

Chris...the short answer is yes, there is plenty of room. However, the part about having to recharge it independently of the over all electrical system is the killing negative factor. Im no battery expert, but is there a way to wire another battery to the original battery so that when the motor is running BOTH bats are charged and stay at 12 volts?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Mike View Post
    Mike, not really. I am not running an actual dual battery system. I am running one battery with an additional set of leads coming off to a fuse box. There is no switching between batteries.

I could just put ring style connectors on the ends of the power cables I will use and lay them on top of the ones already connected to the battery like we see so many times. And,that is fine actually.

However, I have purchased two items that will make things simple. One is an inline fuse device from Blue Seas that the positive cable will run to and out of and it will have a 30 AMP fuse.

The other item I got at a NAPA store. Instead of using the bolt/nut poles I will actually use the larger battery poles and the connectors I will put on the pos and neg sides each have TWO screws downs that will allow TWO cables going off from each pole.

What that will do for me is ….. lets say I want to work on my under gunnel LED lights. Those lights and probably everything else I add to the boat will go through my 12 position fuse box. I can disconnect the power cable associated with the fuse box versus loosening the nut system and losing power to the whole boat. So,..no re-blue toothing the radio and so on.

I'm saying if you want to run a dual battery set up and have the engine charge both, that is the way to go. You can have a house battery and an engine battery which is typical in most boats. Engine charges both batteries when running but they are isolated when not running.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Mike View Post
    I'm saying if you want to run a dual battery set up and have the engine charge both, that is the way to go. You can have a house battery and an engine battery which is typical in most boats. Engine charges both batteries when running but they are isolated when not running.
    Oh..sorry...didn't read it that way. Need more coffee!

I’ve run the Blue Sea ST blade panel that you have since 2015. I really like it. My battery is on opposite side of boat and I use #10 wire to a 30 amp breaker to the Blue Sea fuse panel. My boat is really small but these pics may give you some ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0FCD0542-0E9B-4034-BA43-AFC2B4990369_1551531659123.jpg‎ 
Views:	38 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	193341   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07E52851-57A7-411F-9BFD-74C73C128C45_1551531964934.jpg‎ 
Views:	37 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	193345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F6B46B2B-3441-4355-95E2-CF1770A88380_1551532117834.jpg‎ 
Views:	36 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	193347  
    "Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."

Quote Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
    I’ve run the Blue Sea ST blade panel that you have since 2015. I really like it. My battery is on opposite side of boat and I use #10 wire to a 30 amp breaker to the Blue Sea fuse panel. My boat is really small but these pics may give you some ideas.
    Nice job there Freddie.

Me and the other half (without killing each other) went out this morning and ran the pull lines for the 4 AWG cable I will be picking up Monday. Dealing with a pontoon boat with a metal under sheathing is a nightmare, but we got it done with not too much blood shed from cuts.

I am trying to make up my mind on how to mount the actual fuse block in the console. No doubt it will be to ¾ inch ply, but I must secure the ply to the console itself. I would like to use adhesives, but I don’t think it would last taking the bumps of a road. So, I guess it will be 4 stainless steel screws and washers. They will be at my feet when sitting at the helm so not really all that noticeable. But those that build know….you know where all the imperfections are others never see.

Why are you using 4 AWG ?

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIT View Post
    Why are you using 4 AWG ?
    Basically for the same reason I did when I moved the batteries on my jon boat.

Looking at all the possible peripherals I might attach to the fuse box and the possible loss for the 20 foot plus run, using anything smaller (size wise….like 14 or 16 as an example) could cause me loss problems down the line.

I am looking at the worse case down the line possible scenarios.

Yes I chose a different gauge wire than the one used by the builder but he used that gauge based on what he was going to put on as a power demand. He didn’t really consider what I might add and the consequences for doing so.

Just being safe and cautious.

Ok, did not catch that you were doing a 20' run. You for sure will not have to worry about not having enough amps at terminal. That should give you a solid 60 amp at 12v constant at panel. No way you should ever be drawing that much, unless you have a stereo system booming that I would not want to be around

Quote Originally Posted by LIVIT View Post
    Ok, did not catch that you were doing a 20' run. You for sure will not have to worry about not having enough amps at terminal. That should give you a solid 60 amp at 12v constant at panel. No way you should ever be drawing that much, unless you have a stereo system booming that I would not want to be around
    Lol....this boat came with one !

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements